•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cave Mirror Registry

• Please log in to reply
947 replies to this topic

#926 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

Thank you for the changes Joe! I will have then in the next update.

#927 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

We only have 2 new mirrors but it has been 3 months since the last update so time for a new one.

Changes from the 6/8/2019 edition are highlighted in yellow.

Cell in red is an entry where I hope to someday verify the date as it doesn't make sense. This was in the description of a Craig's List ad that is long gone. If anyone ever bought mirror 1368 I would really appreciate a picture of it.

Also, M738720 is for sale. If someone here purchases it please let me know and I will update the owner information.

Cave Mirror Registry 9/9/2019

Be sure to refresh the page if you've visited before otherwise you may be viewing a previous version.

A total of 283 mirrors are now in the registry.

• Terra Nova likes this

#928 icomet

icomet

Explorer 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:50 PM

Hello to all.

I have two mirrors; one's a 12.5" f/7 that has nothing but a smudge in the center of the back of the mirror. Might have been a sticker at one time. I've looked at it a couple of times, and again today. That's all I've ever found. It came out of that scope I posted recently on the "Classical Telescope" forum and was said to have been 1961-1964 era 2" shaft.

Here are some images of the other mirror that I have. It's a 12.5" f/8 from 1967.

It also had something else scribed on it, so I'll put this up as well.

Clear Skies.

Jeffrey Jaroski

Attached Thumbnails

• f_8 serial number.jpg
  • parts marker.jpg

• tim53 likes this

#929 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

That's a refigure.  hence the "R".  

#930 icomet

icomet

Explorer 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

I was looking at the registry site and noticed that I should add another piece of information

for the 12.5" f/8 mirror.

Here's an image with the information.

Jeffrey

Attached Thumbnails

• f_8 Lockwood serial number (1).jpg

• tim53 likes this

#931 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:58 PM

Well that's interesting!  So Mike Lockwood refigured it 6 years ago?

Since it's a ribbed back, not ground flat, It makes sense that it's an old mirror, probably initially figured by the owner from a kit, then refigured at Cave, then again by Lockwood.

-Tim.

#932 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:22 PM

Jeffery, thank you for the update on R672698. I actually have that one in the registry already so I will update the owner record and add a note about the Lockwood refigure.

This mirror was the subject of a thread on this forum back at the end of 2010 when Preston Smith, a long time poster on this forum, was helping a friend sell it, which it eventually did on Astro Mart:

https://www.cloudyni...7/#entry3799847

#933 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

......Also, M738720 is for sale. If someone here purchases it please let me know and I will update the owner information.....

No it's not! lol.gif  

I couldn't bring myself to sell it.... 

#934 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:08 PM

Very happy you are keeping it! I regret the Caves I have sold and wish I had them back.

#935 ChasingStar

ChasingStar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:24 PM

I just found this about Bill...http://www.celestis....ier/whiddon.asp

http://www2.jpl.nasa...take/sbas9.html   Seems he moved to San Pedro

http://www2.jpl.nasa...comet/whi3.html

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Hi John!  

Someone googled Bill’s name and sent me a link to this discussion. Bill sold the Cave in the mid 80’s at the Riverside Telescope Makers Conference. We had to travel out in the desert to get dark skies and the Cave was too unwieldy. It really needed to be in an observatory. Considering where it was sold it was most likely parted out to build other scopes.  

By the way, we moved to San Pedro because Bill could put up a 100 foot antenna without any city permits. He spent a lot of time working DX. His call was NM6X. 

Hope we you and your family are well.

Nina

#936 ChasingStar

ChasingStar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

I had a friend in school named William (Bill) Whiddon who took delivery if a beautiful 12.5" F6 Observatory model somewhere around 1974 or 1975 while he was living in Denton, Texas.  His scope was housed in a roll off observatory at the UNT observatory site where he lived as the resident instructor.  He moved to Rancho Palos Verde, California when he went to work for TRW after he graduated.  His Cave looked much like the one in this thread....

http://www.cloudynig...ervatory-model/

I heard that Bill passed away some years back and I don't know what became of his Cave scope.   Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Somewhere I have some 35mm slides of Bill's scope in the observatory and if I can find them I will scan them and post the pictures here.

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

I should have quoted this post regarding Bill’s Cave telescope that he sold at RTMC in the mid 80’s. 

#937 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

Just bought an 8” mirror that was refigured by Cave in 1964:

“Refigured by Cave Optical”
          “March 1964”
              F/6.2   50”
       “Robt Schlosser”

Schlosser sent it in to be refigured. 

Attached Thumbnails

• E6CFB68F-0EF5-47B8-B886-1F0768FE1C18.jpeg

• tim53, rolo, PiSigma and 1 other like this

#938 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

Larry,I bet if they refigured it that its top notch!waytogo.gif Any plans of building a scope around it?

Edited by rolo, 13 October 2019 - 10:49 AM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#939 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

Just bought an 8” mirror that was refigured by Cave in 1964:

“Refigured by Cave Optical”
          “March 1964”
              F/6.2   50”
       “Robt Schlosser”

Schlosser sent it in to be refigured. 

Thank you for that one Larry. I had already added it from seeing it in the AM ad so it would be in the next edition of the Registry. Now I can put your name on it!

Another one from 1964 with no serial number. I now only have two from 1964 and neither has a serial number on it. This is extra frustrating as 1964 is the last year of the 4 digit serial numbers and I have been hoping to find one from late '64 in order to put an accurate number on how many mirrors Cave made in this period.

#940 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

Larry,I bet if they refigured it that its top notch!waytogo.gif Any plans of building a scope around it?

Yes my friend - but I may wait until you come out to visit so I can enlist your help! I have a refurbished Cave tube, several mirror cells (Meade, G.E. Audrey and Novak), plus two other Cave mirrors. A few more parts and I will be ready to start!

• rolo likes this

#941 OwensDad

OwensDad

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

Hello,

I am always amazed at what you can find when you are not looking.

One of our neighbors passed a few months ago and all we really knew about him was that he was an Electronic engineer.

At the estate sale, of course there was all kinds of test gear and signal generators, not to mention cameras.

As my son and I were looking around, I spotted what appeared to be a large equatorial mount.

Looking a little more we found the complete mount tube and tri base.

Bottom line is we found a Cave Astrola telescope, sans eye pieces.

A little searching and found this registry.

I believe this is a Model "B" 

The mirror is 8" FL 55 1/4" f7 there is no serial number but scratched in the frosting on the back is Cave Optical Co June 23 1959

The surface has some pitting but looks to be usable as is. I am cleaning the rest up and hope to get it out soon.

Thanks again, John, Owen's Dad

• tim53, jcruse64 and Thaeland like this

#942 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:14 PM

Hello,

I am always amazed at what you can find when you are not looking.

One of our neighbors passed a few months ago and all we really knew about him was that he was an Electronic engineer.

At the estate sale, of course there was all kinds of test gear and signal generators, not to mention cameras.

As my son and I were looking around, I spotted what appeared to be a large equatorial mount.

Looking a little more we found the complete mount tube and tri base.

Bottom line is we found a Cave Astrola telescope, sans eye pieces.

A little searching and found this registry.

I believe this is a Model "B" 

The mirror is 8" FL 55 1/4" f7 there is no serial number but scratched in the frosting on the back is Cave Optical Co June 23 1959

The surface has some pitting but looks to be usable as is. I am cleaning the rest up and hope to get it out soon.

Thanks again, John, Owen's Dad

Hi John and Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Classic Telescope forum.

Yes, your 8" Cave is most likely a Model B. The Lightweight models didn't appear until later.

If you can, please post a picture of the entire scope or the mount as we would be interested to see it. And you may want to look closer at the engraving on the back of the mirror. During this period many engravings were very faint. A serial number may be there. Sometimes a laser pointer may bring it out but I've had the best luck examining them in direct sunlight.

#943 Hemiaster

Hemiaster

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

Hi,

Attached is a photo of Cave M-571 that I would like to add to the registry.  It is an 8" FL55" f/7.   The mount is a standard B but with rotation rings.  The mirror is currently at Zambuto Optical getting stripped, fixing a slight under correction and recoated.  Based on the pictures Carl has sent me this is going to be a really good mirror.

Owner: Robert Rodstrom

Cave 8-2.jpg

• John Higbee and Thaeland like this

#944 Hemiaster

Hemiaster

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:38 AM

Please go here if you would like to see some of the work that Carl Zambuto has done to M-571.

https://www.cloudyni...ings/?p=9908342

#945 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:21 PM

Hello Robert and Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Classic Telescope forum.

Thank you for the addition to the registry and I apologize for not responding sooner. I've been on a bit of a death march at work and haven't checked in lately. It is always special to add another early Cave mirror to the registry. Supposedly the first 1000 Cave mirrors were engraved by Thomas Cave Sr. before he passed in Sept., 1957 so that is a wonderful part of the company's early history to have.

And thank you for the link to that coatings thread. I have always thought the coating process was fairly simple but Carl Zambuto's insights show it to be anything but simple. The quality of his work speaks for itself and his posts show why.

And I am way overdue for an update to the registry so....

#946 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

I'm way overdue for an update so time for a new one. We have 4 new mirrors and a few other updates.

Changes from the 9/9/2019 edition are highlighted in yellow.

Cell in red is an entry where I hope to someday verify the date as it doesn't make sense. This was in the description of a Craig's List ad that is long gone. If anyone ever bought mirror 1368 I would really appreciate a picture of it.

Cave Mirror Registry 1/26/2020

Be sure to refresh the page if you've visited before otherwise you may be viewing a previous version.

A total of 287 mirrors are now in the registry.

#947 Hemiaster

Hemiaster

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:58 PM

Hi Jon and thanks for the welcome.  That's very interesting that M-571 might have been engraved by Tom Sr. himself.

I did receive the mirror back from Carl today.  I don't know what to say, it's hardly the same mirror I sent to him.  It's beautiful.  It even feels different with the new bevels.

Now it's on to building the new OTA.  Sadly, the spider end of the tube was crushed when a car backed into it years before I got hold of the 'scope.  There is really no way to recover it so, sadly, this will not be a full restoration.  A "restomod" as they say in the automobile segment.  But it's heart will be a Cave Astrola.

#948 PiSigma

PiSigma

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

That's too bad about the tube but at least the rest will be back in service and better than ever! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics