•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cave Mirror Registry

• Please log in to reply
1032 replies to this topic

#976 ssqu

ssqu

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:11 PM

I actually found the bigger Cave mount for sale and moved the OTA to that mount. The IEQ45 Pro is 4” taller than the Cave big mount at the saddle so not that much taller. I have not had an issue so far with the OTA hitting the legs. The rotating rings make observing with a bigger reflector so much easier, what a wonderful invention.

Scott

Edited by ssqu, 30 August 2020 - 03:17 PM.

• L. Regira likes this

#977 ssqu

ssqu

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:14 PM

I just looked again at the Cave Registry. Tim Parker had already registered M749724. So it is just a change of ownership.

Scott Squires

• tim53 likes this

#978 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:08 AM

I just looked again at the Cave Registry. Tim Parker had already registered M749724. So it is just a change of ownership.

Scott Squires

When I read your first post, I wondered if it was that scope!:  https://www.cloudyni...tweight deluxe

I really had a hard time deciding to part with it, because of the 8" Newtonians I'd tested at the time, it had the best optics of the bunch by a small margin.  

And you're right - the Cave rotating rings really made observing with a Newtonian quite enjoyable.

-Tim.

#979 PiSigma

PiSigma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 31 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

Scott Squires

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the update. I will have it noted in the next edition that I will post here in a month or so.

#980 ssqu

ssqu

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:06 PM

When I read your first post, I wondered if it was that scope!:  https://www.cloudyni...tweight deluxe

I really had a hard time deciding to part with it, because of the 8" Newtonians I'd tested at the time, it had the best optics of the bunch by a small margin.  

And you're right - the Cave rotating rings really made observing with a Newtonian quite enjoyable.

-Tim.

Tim

It is the one you sold me. As I said I found the bigger deluxe mount and used that for the last couple years. I decided to mount it on my IEQ45 Pro and it is so much easier to use and almost zero wobble in the eyepiece. It really is a great mirror! Right now it is at Ostahowski Optics being recoated. 

I often think of how much fun it was to see your telescope collection! Thank you for taking the time to show me everything.

Scott

• tim53 likes this

#981 cavedweller

cavedweller

Lift Off

• Loc: Ridgecrest, CA

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:43 PM

Hello Jon,

I purchased the 12.5" Cave Model D Transportable from Vinay, as advertised in the classifieds, with mirror number 727700.

Regards,

David Thomas

aka cavedweller

• L. Regira likes this

#982 PiSigma

PiSigma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:36 PM

Hello Jon,

I purchased the 12.5" Cave Model D Transportable from Vinay, as advertised in the classifieds, with mirror number 727700.

Regards,

David Thomas

aka cavedweller

Hi David,

Thank you for the update. I will have the change in the next update that I will post here in a couple of weeks.

Jon

#983 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:48 PM

True dat! That scope and that mount on a short pier would rock! (In a good way.) ;)

#984 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:35 AM

Hello Jon,

Regards,

David Thomas

aka cavedweller

I'm happy you picked up that Cave. Every so often I would look at the ad.

I didn't want to go chase another one down, but you never know with me.

It's been done before.

Hope it gets "revived" and looks great. I'm glad someone on CN grabbed it.

This way we get to see it.

Clear Skies.

#985 PiSigma

PiSigma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

I meant to do this a couple of weeks ago and just forgot. We're overdue for a new update. I thought the 300th mirror would be recorded by now but just 1 new mirror this update and a few other changes.

Changes from the 7/5/2020 edition are highlighted in yellow.

Cell in red is an entry where I hope to someday verify the date as it doesn't make sense. This was in the description of a Craig's List ad that is long gone. If anyone ever bought mirror 1368 I would really appreciate a picture of it.

If anyone here bought M705381, which is in an 8" f/8 Model B Deluxe that was on AM recently, and could take a picture of the engraving so I can add the date and engraving style I would greatly appreciate it.

Cave Mirror Registry 10/19/2020

Be sure to refresh the page if you've visited before otherwise you may be viewing a previous version.

A total of 297 mirrors are now in the registry. Who will be the 300th?

#986 StarKid87

StarKid87

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:44 AM

Hey all, new kid here.

Found an 8" Cave Astrola IN THE TRASH. a friend of mine was doing deliveries a few nights ago and rode passed a white tube. He sent me pictures and asked if it was a telescope. After getting the pics and doing some investigative work (google) I saw it was a Cave Astrola and based on the stand and features it came from the 70s. I rushed out of my house hoping it would still be there, 20 minutes away. Driving down the dark street like a scavenger I found the house, jumped out of my truck and looked for the markings. OMG its a CAVE! Who the hell would throw out this beauty?! I took the long way home missing every bump and pothole like it was a sleeping baby. Ive attached the mirror picture and will put a couple others in another post. The only thing I cant figure out is the model. If anyone could help that would be awesome! I'm a bit busy but im hoping to clean the mirror up today.

Serial number: M749754
Focal length: 56.25" F/7
Block inscription
Made: 10 -24 - 1974

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20201119-093250_Gallery.jpg

Edited by StarKid87, 19 November 2020 - 11:27 PM.

• tim53 and jcruse64 like this

#987 tim53

tim53

Hubble

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:12 AM

Could you post pics of the whole telescope?  Does it have 1" shafts or 1.5" shafts?  If 1", then it's a "Lightweight Deluxe".  You can find more info at:  http://www.cave-astr...opes/index.html

#988 StarKid87

StarKid87

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:34 AM

Could you post pics of the whole telescope?  Does it have 1" shafts or 1.5" shafts?  If 1", then it's a "Lightweight Deluxe".  You can find more info at:  http://www.cave-astr...opes/index.html

I believe its a 1.5 inch shaft. I can post more when I get home in a few hours. I was too excited about this find I forgot to measure everything. I will be trying out the motor later too to see if its still functional. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201119_103050.jpg

• TSSClay likes this

#989 tim53

tim53

Hubble

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:27 AM

Actually, that looks like a Lightweight Deluxe.  Very similar to one I restored a few years ago (have since sold).  It was a wonderful scope, with excellent optics and a very smooth mount.  It was sensitive to wind, but when balanced well, it was a joy to use.  https://www.cloudyni...tweight deluxe

• jcruse64 likes this

#990 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 19 November 2020 - 12:54 PM

I need a better class of dumpsters to rummage through.  grin.gif

Nice find!

Clear Skies.

• Terra Nova and jcruse64 like this

#991 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:57 PM

Actually, that looks like a Lightweight Deluxe.  Very similar to one I restored a few years ago (have since sold).  It was a wonderful scope, with excellent optics and a very smooth mount.  It was sensitive to wind, but when balanced well, it was a joy to use.  https://www.cloudyni...tweight deluxe

Looks like a 1" shaft mount. Maybe made around 1973 as it has the thicker end rings.

#992 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:58 PM

I need a better class of dumpsters to rummage through.  grin.gif

Nice find!

Clear Skies.

Never in a FL dumpster.

#993 PiSigma

PiSigma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:05 PM

Hey all, new kid here. 

Found an 8" Cave Astrola IN THE TRASH. a friend of mine was doing deliveries a few nights ago and rode passed a white tube. He sent me pictures and asked if it was a telescope. After getting the pics and doing some investigative work (google) I saw it was a Cave Astrola and based on the stand and features it came from the 70s. I rushed out of my house hoping it would still be there, 20 minutes away. Driving down the dark street like a scavenger I found the house, jumped out of my truck and looked for the markings. OMG its a CAVE! Who the hell would throw out this beauty?! I took the long way home missing every bump and pothole like it was a sleeping baby. Ive attached the mirror picture and will put a couple others in another post. The only thing I cant figure out is the model. If anyone could help that would be awesome! I'm a bit busy but im hoping to clean the mirror up today. 

Serial number: M149754

Focal length: 56.25" F/7

Block inscription

Made: 10 -24 - 1974

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Classic Telescope forum. And thank you for the addition to the registry.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people come across old Caves. You would think the previous owner would do a tiny bit of research and find that a Cave has value, not just throw it in a dumpster. Wow.

Some pictures of the mount will help us pin down the model. Even if it is a lightweight deluxe that is still a hell of a find in the trash. Note that the first digit of the serial number after the M is a 7 as the first two digits are the year it was made, '74.

#994 Dave Cook

Dave Cook

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:28 PM

I'll start here in this forum with mine.  It's from a 1975 Cave-Astrola 8" f/7 Deluxe that I bought new.  I don't think it's a Herring mirror, but when I was in college we put it on a Zygo interferometer and it was 1/10 wave as advertised; the astronomy department there was definitely surprised.  Just had it recoated by Ostahowski Optics after a long period in storage.  Block lettering style.

M750220 56 3/8"  11 Feb 1975

-Dave Cook

Edited by Dave Cook, 29 November 2020 - 10:28 PM.

#995 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:30 PM

Jon, not my place to nick this string so pm me if needed.

I thought it might be good to mention that this string is for the mirror registry information. Light comments are fine on initiation but lengthy work or projects should be opened in a new thread or appropriate subject older thread.  I'm just trying to save some time and effort in moving or reposting entries.  It's getting late so there may not be a lot of notice here yet. It might be a bummer to see a handful of restoration post in the morning here. It would be great to see some in a new string!

Edited by apfever, 29 November 2020 - 11:32 PM.

#996 StarKid87

StarKid87

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:21 AM

I thought it might be good to mention that this string is for the mirror registry information. Light comments are fine on initiation but lengthy work or projects should be opened in a new thread or appropriate subject older thread.  I'm just trying to save some time and effort in moving or reposting entries.  It's getting late so there may not be a lot of notice here yet. It might be a bummer to see a handful of restoration post in the morning here. It would be great to see some in a new string!

Apologies, i made a new thread to get info. 

#997 PiSigma

PiSigma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:01 PM

I'll start here in this forum with mine.  It's from a 1975 Cave-Astrola 8" f/7 Deluxe that I bought new.  I don't think it's a Herring mirror, but when I was in college we put it on a Zygo interferometer and it was 1/10 wave as advertised; the astronomy department there was definitely surprised.  Just had it recoated by Ostahowski Optics after a long period in storage.  Block lettering style.

M750220 56 3/8"  11 Feb 1975

-Dave Cook

Hi Dave and Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Classic Telescope Forum.

Thank you for the addition to the registry. That is good that you had the mirror tested and it turned out to be a great one. I've seen quite a few that haven't tested so well and needed to be refigured.

Yours will be in the next update that I will publish in this thread in January.

#998 PiSigma

PiSigma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:05 PM

I have no issue with discussing a specific Cave in this thread, especially if the discussion is related to model identification, with a few pictures to help. But yes, if someone wants to get into restoration then it should move to its own thread.

• Terra Nova likes this

#999 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:08 PM

How often do you get to clean 2 Cave mirrors in the same afternoon?

1. 10" Carroll Astronomical Instruments made in 1955. Optics by Cave. Mirror number M-166, Focal Length 55 5/8", f/5.5. May 1954. Owned by the York County Astronomical Society, York, PA.

PXL_20201114_180624274.jpg

2. 12" Cave telescope. Mirror number M-683669, Focal Length 75 3/8", f/6. August 6, 1968. Owned by the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg, PA.

1.jpg

Edited by Jim Davis, 05 December 2020 - 08:09 PM.

• sbrewster and Terra Nova like this

#1000 PiSigma

PiSigma

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:50 PM

How often do you get to clean 2 Cave mirrors in the same afternoon?

1. 10" Carroll Astronomical Instruments made in 1955. Optics by Cave. Mirror number M-166, Focal Length 55 5/8", f/5.5. May 1954. Owned by the York County Astronomical Society, York, PA.

attachicon.gifPXL_20201114_180624274.jpg

2. 12" Cave telescope. Mirror number M-683669, Focal Length 75 3/8", f/6. August 6, 1968. Owned by the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg, PA.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Cleaning 2 Cave mirrors in the same afternoon is what I call a great day! Thank you for the additions Jim. And an early one as well. Nice! That will be the earliest 10" in the registry. I also show the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg as having M704954, a 10" Model C.

Any chance of pictures of the engraving on either of these, especially M-166?

• sbrewster likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics