•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone tried Astrophotography with Orion XT8g?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 DavidCarmichael

DavidCarmichael

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

Now that there is a dob with tracking I was wondering if anyone had tried Astrophotography with the Orion XT8g?

#2 Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

Now that there is a dob with tracking I was wondering if anyone had tried Astrophotography with the Orion XT8g?

I tried with the 12" inch skywatcher version. I had to collapse the tube by 2inch to reach focus.

#3 DavidCarmichael

DavidCarmichael

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:45 AM

Isn't there anybody who has tried this?

#4 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:37 AM

I use to have a Meade 8" DOB without tracking and I was able to get some decent planetary shots just letting the planet drift through the view and then stack the images. I would assume if it tracks it would be the same as an Alt/Az mount and you would be limited to about 30 second exposures if you wanted to do deep sky. I would think you'd also have to figure out a way to add counter weights to offset the camera weight too.

#5 FoxK

FoxK

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

I have an Orion XT8. I cannot reach focus using a DSLR for wide FOV images, even having bought the lowest profile focuser (aftermarket) on the market and adjusting the primary mirror. I can however reach focus using a 2x barlow, and a 5x barlow using my DMK cam even with a filter wheel using a DMK monocam. I can't remember if the stock focuser allows for this so sorry I can't help with this info. 2x barlows seem to be much more forgiving, but with the 5x powermate, I can just barely reach infocus...hence the buying of the low profile focuser. IIRC, i couldn't reach infocus enough using the powermate 5x with the stock focuser. I also can't remember if taking out the focus wheel in the image train, using a color cam, allows much more freedom. I'm guessing it does since the main problem is lack of infocus.

Bottom line, you can't really use a DSLR due to lack of infocus, but I have found ways to use a 2x barlow and a 5x powermate so worse case scenario is you may have to get the low profile caryford focuser such as the one Orion sells

#6 DavidCarmichael

DavidCarmichael

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Actually I was thinking of using a Neximage camera. Weight wouldn't be an issue.
FoxK, have you tried your SPC900NC or Quickcam 9000?

#7 FoxK

FoxK

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

I have David. All cams shoild be about the same...its just a question of where the ccd or cmos is positoned in the cam with seems only to vary by a mm. If i were more mechanical, i'm sure i could jury rig a new case and move the ccd up close but my 900nc is too valuable lol

#8 DavidCarmichael

DavidCarmichael

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

I assume someone has bought a Orion XT8g, right? Since it does tracking someone must have tried to take some pictures. Please chime in.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics