•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Apple switching to Intel?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#76 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:23 PM

Go a bit further and make your phone, ipod, pda a mini control device. It could replace the controller for your telescope, navigation for your car (or OnStar), security for your house. A univeral remote standardized to an interface that could be programmed to control just about whatever you could license to control. Could even be the key to your car.

I guess we're back to handheld computer.

Yeah, kinda funny that it all tends to get so circular, isn't it? I agree. Apple seems to do things very right in the small device/embedded market. There IS an iTunes cell phone coming from Moto and I think Apple has big plans for that space. The phone has been delayed at request of Apple so I think they're waiting for something. Hopefully it will be something worthwhile and great as Apple seems to pull from thin air once in a while.

Jobs certainly was a character back in the day. He still is, but you have to remember he was barely more than a teenager back then, became an instant multi-millionaire running his own company. He, like so many other actors, etc., couldn't handle the power and success. He lacked maturity and it showed. Jobs has developed into a great leader. He is extremely driven, has vision and can motivate and get others to "buy off" on what he sees. Like anyone, he has his biases and will probably overlook some things he sees as "not important" (Apple PDA anyone?) but you can't argue with his results. Came on board this time with Apple SERIOUSLY in it's first real jeapordy of becoming irrelevant and possibly even extinct and resurrected it to a position of having the best success of it's history.

He also has obviously overcome the hubris of "not invented here" and keeping things proprietary. This gave him the guts to move to Intel and do so many of the other things Apple has been successful with lately. He may have been seriously flawed as a leader when he was young, but I don't think you could say now that he lacks much, especially based on his performance and that of the company.

#77 Mike Casey

Mike Casey

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:29 PM

And don't forget the TV remote function. (I thought of this one as I foolishly stood in front of my TV trying to change channels with my wireless phone handset. Duh...) :crazy:

#78 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:04 AM

I think the PDA days are numbered. Many of those functions are being taken over by the cellphone/blackberry. Which may merge with laptops as size comes down and power goes up.

I'm tempted to say everything will go on your watch but the screen would be too small.

Interesting times! :D

#79 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:33 PM

The PDA is a perfect application on your cellphone...period. I live and die with MS Outlook as my primary means fo managing my day. Does it mean that I will go out and get a Pocket PC? Nope...I still love my regular notebook...but my cellphone goes with me everywhere and I need my contacts and my schedule...espcially on the road. Oh, BTW, I love my music also...gets me through those long flights.

If MOTO is in bed with Apple, good for MOTO! Ron, all good applications that can be easily contained on a single device. We're getting there...

As for IBM vs. Intel. Guys, come on...IBM can't get the heat down on their processors. Think about where Apple is trying to go (mac mini, power books (guess where all the growth in the PC biz is), small devices (think embedded x86 apps)...think about the size of its market that IBM is giving up...Think about IBM as a corporation, and its goals...Services, services, services....(Lenovo strike a chord)?

Ooops! I'm preachin' Sorry....

#80 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:45 PM

Pollux, you have just given me a very sinister idea.

#81 pollux

pollux

artiste

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

Really?

#82 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:33 PM

Shouldn't that read: "Pollux, you have just given me a another very sinister idea."? :roflmao:

#83 Victor Kennedy

Victor Kennedy

Pooh-Bear

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:06 AM

Shouldn't that read: "Pollux, you have just given me a another very sinister idea."? :roflmao:

I think it should read: "Baldrick, I have a cunning plan."

#84 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:47 AM

If Mr. Jobs plays his cards right It should be a good move when x86 software will run on the mac with OS X !!

#85 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

Definitely a larger selection to choose from.

#86 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

Quote From: http://www.macosrumors.com/

Next version of Mac OS X will be "Leopard," and will focus largely on the transition to Intel/x86. As Apple seeks to commoditize many aspects of its hardware, Leopard will focus on unique features including an extremely graphically-rich user interface revamp leveraging the meta-data technology (Spotlight) introduced in Tiger.

Apple has adapted Transitive's QuickTransit code morphing engine, as rumored, and will deliver it to developers as "Rosetta" which allows PowerPC binaries to run on Intel with reasonable performance. A developer kit with a 3.6GHz P4 Intel-based "Mac," OS X 10.4.1 for Intel, and Rosetta will begin shipping in two weeks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics