•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Antares 0.965" Plossls -- A Classicist's Dream?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#101 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:24 AM

I've got five of them, they are terrific eyepieces for the price.  Same optics as in their 1.25" barrels but fitted with .965" barrels.  I believe some or all are now out of production so would advise you grab them while you can.

They may not reach focus on every single telescope.

So if one has a nice set of 1.25" Plossls and a .965" adapter or hybrid diagonal, there is no particular advantage in these..

-drl

Just that they get you an inch closer in if you need to accommodate focus.
  • Chuck Hards and Bomber Bob like this

#102 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

Celestron/Vixen 0.965" eyepieces:
back row- 25mm K, 18mm K;
front row- 12.5mm K, 7mm O, 6mm O

I now have the 40mm K and the 5mm and 4mm orthos as well. I don't think their are any more I am missing.
  • ftwskies likes this

#103 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

As I've mentioned before, the 20mm Antares needs quite a bit more inward focuser travel than the rest of the series.  They are very good eyepieces and reasonably priced.

• Bomber Bob and RancherinAz like this

#104 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

Honestly, with the long/slow vintage refractors, I prefer the .965" format.  I don't see an advantage with 1.25" accessories.  With the faster scopes, it's a big factor.

• Bonco and terraclarke like this

#105 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

Exactly! At 30X a 60mm yields an exit pupil of 2mm. The eye and field lenses on the lower power eyepieces are way bigger than that, and remain so as magnification increases. They really make little difference other than extending the field a little bit, but even so, it's barely noticeable until the focal ratio drops below F10.

#106 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

The Big Surprise for me is that I can't tell a difference between the spectros Plossls at high power and my Orthos.  Back in the day, I wouldn't buy Plossls for serious planetary observing.  Live & learn.

• RancherinAz likes this

#107 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

Plossls were originally billed as 'orthoscopic' (not Abbe orthos) and even labeled as such. Vixen did this 30 years ago. I have 1.25" 17mm and 7mm black top/flat topped Vixen orthos that are really Plossls. While not as good as circle T's (Abbe design- classic ortho), they are good eyepieces for planetary in long focal length scopes and they barlow quite well.

Edited by terraclarke, 21 February 2017 - 02:14 PM.

• RancherinAz likes this

#108 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

I was just comparing the 17mm Antares Plossl with a 17mm Celestron Halloween Plossl in daylight viewing and I could tell no real difference other than a very slightly brighter view with the Celestron.

Edited by CharlieB, 21 February 2017 - 06:50 PM.

• RancherinAz likes this

#109 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Honestly, with the long/slow vintage refractors, I prefer the .965" format.  I don't see an advantage with 1.25" accessories.  With the faster scopes, it's a big factor.

For me, going to modern 1.25" eyepieces made a MASSIVE, positive difference in the enjoyability of my old scopes. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#110 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

I like having the capability of going either way, which I do enjoy with almost all of my classic refractors. I do enjoy the wider fields and greater eye relief. I can't see myself ever using 0.965" eyepieces on my classic Newtonians, of course, there is no need as they are all set up to handle 1.25" eyepieces natively. My C90 and C5 can go either way. I will also say that it seems to me that the 1.25mm orthos are of higher quality optically, with the notable exception of the Zeiss eyepieces. But then, even my Zeiss scope, set up with the Baader Zeiss diagonal can accommodate modern 1.25" eyepieces as well.

Edited by terraclarke, 21 February 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#111 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

In my less serious moments, I do enjoy taking out my 0.965" orthos and play around with them and sometimes compare them with my modern eyepieces. It's funny to think about that the ES 82's were almost science fiction, when my oldest Zeiss orthos were new. It's also fun to compare them and see how shockingly good the modern eyepieces really are, on a long-focus refractor.

It's also fun to realize just how good those old eyepieces actually are! The old observers were certainly not missing out anything in the sharpness and contrast department, contrary to what many people today would like you to believe.

But when I'm going for difficult planetary details, I use my Baader binoviewer with modern 25mm Zeiss microscope eyepieces, and for deep-sky objects I use my ES82's and I'm seeing more than ever and certainly in vastly greater comfort. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

• terraclarke likes this

#112 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:19 PM

Mind boggling to see this reappear! I started this thread six years ago. So much 0.965" gear has gone out of production in these years. Antares has even stopped making the small secondaries needed for many classic Newtonians! But, for now, these Plossls remain. 

• terraclarke and ftwskies like this

#113 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

In my less serious moments, I do enjoy taking out my 0.965" orthos and play around with them and sometimes compare them with my modern eyepieces. It's funny to think about that the ES 82's were almost science fiction, when my oldest Zeiss orthos were new. It's also fun to compare them and see how shockingly good the modern eyepieces really are, on a long-focus refractor.

It's also fun to realize just how good those old eyepieces actually are! The old observers were certainly not missing out anything in the sharpness and contrast department, contrary to what many people today would like you to believe.

But when I'm going for difficult planetary details, I use my Baader binoviewer with modern 25mm Zeiss microscope eyepieces, and for deep-sky objects I use my ES82's and I'm seeing more than ever and certainly in vastly greater comfort.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

It's interesting to contrast how differently old scopes and old eyepieces hold up. Most decent older scopes (from the 60s or later) are still pretty competitive with modern ones. For older eyepieces, only the best ones really compete with modern ones at all, and even then, it's mostly just as niche narrow field planetary eyepieces.

#114 Peter2000

Peter2000

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thank you for the feedback.

So far I tested a 25mm ortho eyepiece from Surplus Shed. Much better than stock H piece.

One 6mm Antares is on order and one 9mm performance eyepiece from Siebert Optics should be coming soon too.

Curious to see the difference between those pieces. I will share the first impressions once they arrive :)

• terraclarke, Bomber Bob and jamesk8752 like this

#115 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

So far I tested a 25mm ortho eyepiece from Surplus Shed. Much better than stock H piece.

I've played around with a lot of Surplus Shed eyepieces and this is truly one of the better ones. God only knows where some of the lens systems come from that they put a barrel on and turn into an eyepiece!? I think the working philosophy is 'if it'l focus light, it must be an eyepiece'. But this one is reqlly quite nice for the $17.50- A nice surprise!

http://www.surplussh...tem/l14011.html

• jamesk8752 likes this

#116 pogobbler

pogobbler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:24 AM

I got a few of these Antares .965" Plossls a few years ago when I bought an unboxed equatorially mounted Jason 313 from the 80s.  At first, I got a .965" to 1.25" adapter, but, I found that using 1.25" eyepieces in the scope caused balance issues and always looked very ungainly.  The Plossls were reasonably quality, better than the eyepieces included with the scope, and the scope just works and looks better with the .965" eyepieces.  I think there's a valid reason for buying these eyepieces vs. just getting an adapter. 

• terraclarke likes this

#117 RancherinAz

RancherinAz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:01 PM

Wow !
Hats off to Starrancher as it seems he was the first to step up and try these .965 Antares Plossls out . I had also purchased them back around the time this thread was started and I'm so glad I did . They were still 20 bucks a piece at that time . They have made a world of difference in the useability of my vintage classic scopes . A far nicer field of view coupled with a far superior image over the garb that came with these old scopes . Back then , Orthos were extremely expensive compared to these Antares Plossls and you were still confined to a fairly narrow field of view . To tell ya the truth , these budget priced Plossls have been a treasure to own and countless hours of observing have been so enjoyable with them . I know I'm hard pressed to see much if any difference at all between these and even the most expensive Teleview Plossls . I've even compared viewing with some old Vixen lanthanum eyepieces and if there was any difference in the quality of view , it was minute .
Reading though the thread , I can only hope that Antares continues to produce these for all future vintage classic enthusiasts that desire in keeping the original .965 format of those old classic gems alive . 200% improvement might very well be an understatement Starrancher .

Edited by RancherinAz, 07 August 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#118 CharlieB

CharlieB

Skylab

• Moderators

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

I don't believe they are being made any longer.  A few vendors still offer a couple of them, but I'll bet they are just existing old stock.  I , too, bought a set when they just came out and they work very well with classic scopes. 

• Chuck Hards and Bomber Bob like this

#119 RancherinAz

RancherinAz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:26 AM

That's sad if they sropped making them .
I also picked up a set of planetary , nebula and adjustable moon filter kit in .965 that Orion used to produce . I think I got the last set in existence from Hands on optics back about the time I bought the Antares oculars .
Those were hard to track down but I talked to Sherri after I bought the eyepieces and asked about them . She said "lemme look" and sure enough came back to the phone and said yep ! I've got one set left . How lucky to find those .

Edited by RancherinAz, 08 August 2019 - 04:50 PM.

• Bomber Bob and bbqediguana like this

#120 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:47 AM

You can still buy this adapter: https://www.teleskop...nengewinde.html

It fits most (all?) plössls from Sky-Watcher and GSO (and perhaps a lot of Chinese clones) from 25mm focal length and down. You just unscrew the normal 1.25" barrel and screw the 0.965" barrel on. 

It also fits the UO volcano top orthos, Kasai orthos, Takahashi Abbe Orthos, Baader Classic Orthos, Baader Genuine Orthos, plus many others.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Bomber Bob likes this

#121 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

Or this. It’s quite nice. I have one.

https://agenaastro.c...ce-adapter.html

• BFaucett likes this

#122 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:50 PM

You can still buy this adapter: https://www.teleskop...nengewinde.html

It fits most (all?) plössls from Sky-Watcher and GSO (and perhaps a lot of Chinese clones) from 25mm focal length and down. You just unscrew the normal 1.25" barrel and screw the 0.965" barrel on. 

It also fits the UO volcano top orthos, Kasai orthos, Takahashi Abbe Orthos, Baader Classic Orthos, Baader Genuine Orthos, plus many others.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

My vintage Meade Series 2 .965" Orthoscopics are just the 1.25" lens housing threaded into that type adapter with a .965" barrel:

JWS 965 Set 201407P02.jpg

These look like the Tani volcano-top eyepieces; and, sure enough, most of those would thread into these barrels, too.

So... if you have some vintage University Optics or Edmund volcano-top 1.25" eyepieces, you have an option to use them without too much hassle -- and no vignetting.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 10 August 2019 - 08:53 PM.

• Astrojensen likes this

#123 RancherinAz

RancherinAz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

Gonna need some extra inward focus there though terraclarke . Some scopes won't have it .

Edited by RancherinAz, 10 August 2019 - 08:53 PM.

#124 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:36 PM

In that case just use a hybrid diagonal.  

The old Orion .965" series was very good too.  They used the same glass that was offered in their 1.25" eyepieces at the time.  Entirely black-anodized, they are worth picking up when you come across them.   

• Astrojensen, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#125 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:58 PM

Gonna need some extra inward focus there though terraclarke . Some scopes won't have it .

Just mentioning it as one more option. They work fine for scopes that have the additional slip-fit sleeve draw tubes like Unitrons and some RAOs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics