•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions on a 8X binocular.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

First, I would like to thank everyone on this forum. I received my first quality pair of binoculars yesterday after years of struggling with cheap Bushnell and generic Chinese binos. After reading hundreds of posts, I picked the Nikon 10X42 SEs that I found on sale for $679 from OPT. I bought them for mainly astronomical use and was very happy with first light yesterday.

Now I would like to get a quality 8X for general outdoor use and also astronomy. I've been considering another Nikon Like the Venturer LX series.

Does anyone have any pro or con comments about these? Any other recommendations for around $800 USD?

Last question: What is the difference between the Nikon Venturer and Premier LX line?

Thanks,

Dave

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:10 PM

Dave ,

The Nikon Premier LX , Venturer and High Grade ( sometimes abbreviated to HG ) are in fact all one and the very same roof prism models !

For a brief period , several "birdwatching" reviewers rated the model as "THE" yardstick by which all others must be measured against , but it's original very high price put many off buying one.

The very first time I tried one ( in daylight ) , I couldn't help but notice more pronounced chromatic aberration than I'd noticed in other high -priced binoculars , and commented upon it in a review I posted to the Excelsis binocular review website about three and a half years ago.

At that time , I had not been aware anyone else had ever noticed this , but over time , several other reviewers made a similar comment.

I also found the 42mm model to seem even HEAVIER in my hands than it's already quite hefty 34 ozs. and it was the combination of these two factors , plus the very high price of over £800 UK at the time , which put me off buying one.

Apart from that , I commented that I thought the optics were truly WORLD - CLASS -- and I still think that.

Then Swarovski came along with their EL range , roughly equal in optical quality , but feeling considerbaly LIGHTER in the hands , and suddenly the ELs seemed to be deemed THE ones to beat.

Then Leica jumped in with their ULTRAVID range , presenting a serious lightweight challenger to the apparantly "all conquering" Swarovski ELs , and belatedly , in 2004 , Zeiss introduced THEIR lightweight FL range to stiffen competition even more for the deeper -pocketed purchaser.

Then Nikon introduced a LIGHT WEIGHT ( LW ) version of their highly rated Venturer / High Grade / Premier LX range , and to be honest , right now , I would be very happy to own ANY of these lighter -weight , waterproof , world -class ,finally adjustable eye -relief models.

But since Nikon introduced the LIGHT WEIGHT HGs , I've noticed their original HEAVIER WEIGHT predecessors can now be obtained for about 60% of the price they were going for 4 years ago , and could now even represent THE best value for money binoculars as a result.

There is little doubt that all these models I've mentioned were designed and marketed mainly for the DAYTIME user rather than the amateur astronomer , but as one of our distinguished CN members called FISKE will attest to , the original Nikon HG is is indeed a very fine performer for astronomy.

He has posted several very interesting and comprehensive reports , expressing his delight with the 8 x 42 model.

If your main intended usage is for ASTRONOMY , the chromatic aberration "issue" is hardly an issue at all , and many people find a slightly heavier binocular easier to hold steady than a lighter -weight model ( within reason )

I hope this helps , and also hope that other members chip in with a few more options to confuse you even further :-)

Regards , Kenny

#3 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:16 PM

Great information, Kenny. Thank you very much. I'll do some looking around and see what I can find.

Dave

#4 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:44 PM

There are several nice 8x42 roof prism binoculars in the $350 to $450 USD price range. A couple are the Orion Savannah and Eagle Ranger Platinum.

Rich

#5 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:06 AM

Dave ,

The Nikon Premier LX , Venturer and High Grade ( sometimes abbreviated to HG ) are in fact all one and the very same roof prism models !

snip-------------------------------snip

Regards , Kenny

Kenny,

Anacortes have the Premier and Venturer listed with different part numbers and prices. USD$300 different for the 8x42s

Cheers, Craig.

#6 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:00 AM

Craig and others ,

In that case , perhaps the "Premier" is the name being used to identify the "lightweight" model.

I've seen the descroption being used elsewhere to indicate the Venturers per se.

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

G 'day to you down under !

Kenny

#7 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:40 PM

Rich,

I haven't found any reviews on the Orion Savannahs (the roof prism version, anyway). Do you own a pair?

"Anacortes have the Premier and Venturer listed with different part numbers and prices. USD$300 different for the 8x42s"

That is the reason I asked about the difference. Anacortes often has both old and new models of a particular line listed.

Dave

#8 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:01 PM

Hi Dave-
Some info and reviews on the Savannahs:

Savanah comments/info

Saber

Ready to tackle the Herschel 400?
http://www.geocities...rpx/SGH400.html

#9 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:18 PM

Rich,

I haven't found any reviews on the Orion Savannahs (the roof prism version, anyway). Do you own a pair?

"Anacortes have the Premier and Venturer listed with different part numbers and prices. USD$300 different for the 8x42s"

That is the reason I asked about the difference. Anacortes often has both old and new models of a particular line listed.

Dave

I have an Orion Savannah roof 8x42 that is a couple of years old. It is a little different than the latest version. My Samannah roof gives very nice images. The focuser works smoothly. The field isn't as wide as my Leica 8x42 BN but it is a nice binocular.

Rich

#10 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

Hi Dave-
Some info and reviews on the Savannahs:
http://www.excelsis....=21&entryid=141

Saber

That Savannah link if for the porro model.

Rich

#11 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:47 PM

[re: That Savannah link if for the porro model.]

Not anymore. Thanks.

Saber

#12 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 10 June 2005 - 03:21 PM

If I already had the excellent Nikon SE 10x42s, and had $800 burning a hole in my pocket for a good 8x general purpose bino, I'd look very hard at some of the better, waterproof 8x32 roof prism binos as being the perfect complement to the 10x42 SEs. The Kahles 8x32s would be on my short list. If you want them for some astro as well, then I'd up it to 8x42s, and again, the Kahles 8x42 would be one I'd look hard at before making a decision. I've used both in the daytime, but never for astro. IMO, both are priced well for what they really offer, when compared to other high-end roof prism binos. But, honestly, have you used the 10x42 SEs enough to really know that you need another bino? You very well may have one of the best binos on the planet, as it is. I wouldn't even qualify that if the SEs were waterproof. They've certainly got the best optics you're likely to ever find.

I've been looking for a good waterproof complement to my 12x50 SEs for awhile. If the 8x32 SE was waterproof, it'd be ideal. But, since you've got the 10s, I'm not all that certain that you even need an 8, unless you want something much smaller and more weatherproof, thus the idea about 8x32 roofs. As for the LX line, as much as I like Nikon's SE and E2 binos, I'm one of the "lucky" ones that sees lots of CA in the LX series. Not all are as bothered by that, but it would sure bother me to spend that kind of money, only to be constantly aware of fringe false colors.

Mike

#13 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:05 PM

I have a Nikon 10x42SE and it is nice, but for birding I find color fringing on birds that are even slightly off axis annoying. The focuser is also pretty stiff.

IMHO, the Leica 10x42 Ultravid and Zeiss 10x42 FL are better for birding than the Nikon 10x42SE. I also have a Zeiss 10x42 FL.

--

I just went outside (nice sunny day) and compared my Nikon 10x42SE and Zeiss 10x42 FL. The color fringing isn't as bad as I remembered with the Nikno but it is still more than the Zeiss. You eye position behind the eyepieces seems more critical with the Nikon (I wear glasses). The apparent field in the Nikon is smaller (not as wide). I can easily see the edge of the field in the Nikon. I can't quite see all the edge of the field with the Zeiss. The focuser on the Zeiss is faster and easier to turn.

The Nikon 10x42 SE is a fine binocular. However, I still prefer to take the Zeiss birding. I perfer the way it feels and the view. The extra snob appeal is nice too. ;)

Rich

#14 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:34 PM

Mike (Lighttrap),

of course I don't NEED another binocular, but I don't think that's stopped anyone here before. :grin:

But I would love a binocular that gave excellent images like the SEs but would be a bit more sturdy and weather resistant for outdoor use, such as hunting. That is why the waterproof roof prism models sound good with their internal focusing. The fall season here in the great NW can be a bit on the moist side. The occasional slide down a muddy hill is enough to make me not want to take the SEs along on those occasions. I will add the Kahles to my list. Thanks.

Dave

#15 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

Mike (Lighttrap),

of course I don't NEED another binocular, but I don't think that's stopped anyone here before. :grin:

But I would love a binocular that gave excellent images like the SEs but would be a bit more sturdy and weather resistant for outdoor use, such as hunting. That is why the waterproof roof prism models sound good with their internal focusing. The fall season here in the great NW can be a bit on the moist side. The occasional slide down a muddy hill is enough to make me not want to take the SEs along on those occasions. I will add the Kahles to my list. Thanks.

Dave

You might want to look into a used Leica 8x42 BN. They have fine optics and are very rugged.

Rich

#16 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:11 PM

Craig and others ,

In that case , perhaps the "Premier" is the name being used to identify the "lightweight" model.

I've seen the descroption being used elsewhere to indicate the Venturers per se.

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

G 'day to you down under !

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

No misunderstanding this end.

It would be interesting to know what the extra $300 gives you. It seems like a big margin if it is just for weight.

I had a look on Nikon Japan US and Canada sights and couldn't find any information on the differences.

PS. It is pretty dry down under. We have water restrictions in place. Can you send us some of your rain?

Regards

#17 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

The 7.5° Pentax 8x32 DCF SP's have gotten good reviews from users.

#18 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:59 PM

And lo, the Venturer begat the Premier LX,
and the Premier LX begat the Premier LX L.

And lo, consumers the world over strained to figure out the differences. And whether or not they mattered.

But in a humble stable near Seattle, one Nikon lover cared not, the threshold of quality having been met.

Nay, contemplate he on nomenclature. For he saith, "Know ye not that over the years Nikon doth peculiar and delightsome things with the nomemclature thereof. And, is it to fool the competition more than the consumer?" But the bush to which the query was directed was consumed before there arose in the land an answer.

Or lo, could it be that so greenenth backs goeth into production as to slight some marketing and thinkology?

Only Nikon knoweth. And the land was quiet; and all were happy with their high-end Nikons, regardless of the name by with they were called.

Cheerseth,

Bill

#19 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:52 PM

Update: I picked up a really clean Nikon 8x42 Venturer LX for less than $500. They did need collimation, though.

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics