•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro Tools for Android

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

Just want to let other Android users know that there is finally a decent star charting/planetarium app available. Astro Tools is on the Android market for about $3.50 and is the first to include the NGC/IC catalog and many other useful options. It's not as pretty as some of the others but this is something that astronomers can actually use. I have no interest in this app other than being a user.

#2 comets4tom

comets4tom

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I've been checking fairly often for a more useful android app for my tablet.

Tom H.

#3 digitaloranges

digitaloranges

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

You could always try this on the Android market. It's been hugely updated and I'm getting some great feedback lately :
https://market.andro...planetariaxfull

#4 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

I the pro version of your application and it's good. But being limited to just Messier objects it really can't be used for anything else but a general guide. We need more catalogs of objects.

#5 airconone

airconone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

We need more catalogs of objects.

what catalog do you need?
Messier ok, ngc / ic ok and ... Another?

#6 Chris.Baron

Chris.Baron

Apollo

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:46 AM

NGC + IC would be great. Unfortunately my local light pollution restricts me to just emission nebulae/planetary nebulae. What would be really nice on Android is an app that has a Nebulae only filter with a decent selection. Astromist and StarMap Pro work great on the iOS, but there isn't anything comparable on Android at the moment. I'm really hoping that changes.

My iPhone 3G still works for now, but I'm cutting off my plan for it given the Android phone I have from work is on my all the time now. Pain to carry both.

Cheers,
Chris

#7 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Chris, You can do exactly that with Astro Tools.

#8 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Just bought Astro Tools - I will let you know how I like it.

I contacted the author of Astromist and he doesn't currently have any plans to move to a new platform, but if does he said it will be Anrdoid.

Timm

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Just want to let other Android users know that there is finally a decent star charting/planetarium app available. Astro Tools is on the Android market for about $3.50 and is the first to include the NGC/IC catalog and many other useful options. It's not as pretty as some of the others but this is something that astronomers can actually use. I have no interest in this app other than being a user.

So here is a question for you. How do you pay for a Google App? I am a one credit card guy and I am not using my card on my cell phone. Apple has it figured out so one can just buy a card how do you do it with an Android?

Jon

#10 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Astro Tools is very basic from what I can see - useful I think, but basic.

Timm

#11 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

So here is a question for you. How do you pay for a Google App? I am a one credit card guy and I am not using my card on my cell phone. Apple has it figured out so one can just buy a card how do you do it with an Android?

Jon

When you go to the Market on your phone, you just touch to download and if it isn't free it will ask you for a credit card and you enter it and purchase the item.

You have a short time to cancel as well - I think it is 30 minutes to return the app.

Timm

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

When you go to the Market on your phone, you just touch to download and if it isn't free it will ask you for a credit card and you enter it and purchase the item.

You have a short time to cancel as well - I think it is 30 minutes to return the app.

Timm

That is exactly the point I got to when I said,

"Nope.. not with this card."

I am more than happy to spend $3.50 on the app, I am not typing my credit card number into my cell phone... I guess I need to get some sort of a debit card with a limited amount of liability.

Jon

#13 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:46 PM

Timm

That is exactly the point I got to when I said,

"Nope.. not with this card."

I am more than happy to spend $3.50 on the app, I am not typing my credit card number into my cell phone... I guess I need to get some sort of a debit card with a limited amount of liability.

Jon

Credit cards are safer to use online.

Most credit cards have zero liability if it gets stolen because you can dispute the card and you will always win while the merchant will lose. A debit card on the other hand - poof - your account is emptied.

Timm

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Credit cards are safer to use online.

Most credit cards have zero liability if it gets stolen because you can dispute the card and you will always win while the merchant will lose. A debit card on the other hand - poof - your account is emptied.

Timm

I look at this way: If I have a debit card with $100 on it, the worst that can happen is I lose $100. On the other hand, if someone gets my credit card number and starts using it, it's the effort required to straighten it out and make sure that it doesn't happen again is a whole lot more...

The sad part is I just got a Verizon debit card for a rebate and I think there's only $2 left on it... :(

Jon

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

I bit the bullet, bought my first paid app.. we will see how it goes

Jon

#16 ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for this. I ordered a 7" Android Tablet about a week and a half ago and am eagerly awaiting it.

I did notice that there were a lot less choices for astro apps in Android than for my iPhone so happy to find another. I have bookmarked this.

#17 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

Astro Tools' graphics are indeed basic. But where it excels is the NGC/IC catalog plus the ability to filter based on magnitude and object type. This makes it far more useful to amateur astronomer than a app with pretty graphics. Forgot to mention that it also has a Telrad circle as well.

#18 airconone

airconone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

hello

The last version is ok.

you can have a catalog of 2 million 500 stars.
Dowload this file http://www.astroraf....wnload/dbraf.db and copy this in the fodler /astrotools in the SdCard.

New , you can have fov eyepiece and ccd/eos on the skymap.

#19 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hi Jon -

This is venturing into my line of work. The reality of the situation is that you're safer using your credit card on your phone or your computer than you are in a restaurant.

In a restaurant, the card leaves your sight for any number of minutes. In that time, someone can get all the information they need from the front and back of the card to do whatever they want. That includes "skimming" data from the magstripe on the back and creating a new card that can be used anywhere.

In an online transaction, the thief needs to know your IP address, the exact point in time the data packet is being transmitted (this is down to the millisecond), know what port the packet is coming out of (out of 65,535 ports), then be able to separate that packet from the other hundreds of packets in the data stream. If he's lucky or good enough to be able to do all that, then he has to decrypt everything.

But, if it gives you peace of mind, you can always get a WalMart pre-paid Visa card. They were about $3.00 the last time I saw them at the checkout and they don't charge you any fees to keep it lying around with money on it.

As far as the application itself is concerned, I love it. Well worth the $3.00.

-Steve

#20 arpruss

arpruss

Vendor: Omega Centauri Software

• Vendors

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

I'd suggest including a larger star catalog for serious amateur astronomy. For a scope with decent aperture, 2.5 million stars doesn't match eyepiece view as well as one might like for star hopping. (PM me if you have trouble finding data for a larger catalog.)

#21 airconone

airconone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

With 2.5 millions i have a file ascii 80Mo => sqllite with index file = 170Mo.
With 25 million star, i m afraid for our little Smartphone.
But i can try.

#22 arpruss

arpruss

Vendor: Omega Centauri Software

• Vendors

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

What kind of compression are you using?

In AstroInfo, the binary catalog sizes are:
Tycho up to mag 11: 3.97 mb (861305 stars)
Tycho mag 11 to end: 18.12 mb (1571606 stars)
UCAC3 up to mag 12.8, supplementing above Tycho catalogs: 30.14 (2612028 stars)

Total: 52.23 mb (5044939 stars)

AstroInfo uses qtrees to index the data. I think that starting with the mag 11 data, we omit catalog numbers for the stars (for catalog numbers, we use Burrows-Wheeler compression), and we use 10 bytes to store the data for each star. We store the xyz coordinates (normalized to a sphere) for each star with 24-bit precision per coordinate, which I think is about 0.1 arcsec precision. And we store the magnitude in a single byte.

If Android devices are fast enough to do trig for each star (AstroInfo minimizes the amount of trig, so the coordinates are Cartesian), you can store the RA and Dec in one 24-bit precision number each (instead of the Cartesian coordinates we use), plus a byte for magnitude, which would be only 7 bytes per star. That would make for about 35mb for five million stars, plus you'll need some indexing overhead.

#23 weezy

weezy

Vanguard

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

It works fairly well, but how do you enter your scope?
I looked at the entry for the scope there, and it said D300. F1500
I can't enter the diameter/focal with a letter. Multitap to get a letter doesn't work. I'm getting the phone dialer screen rather than the text screen and no other option for letters. I've got a Galaxy S 4G.

#24 airconone

airconone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

not need letter. only focal in "milimeter" and diameter .
for dob 1500/300 only enter 1500 and 300 .

#25 airconone

airconone

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

now is free.
https://market.andro...e=search_result

if you want donate. see here http://astronomytools.blogspot.com/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics