•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Favorite Viewing Sites

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#326 jpcannavo

jpcannavo

Apollo

• Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

I posted elswhere, but looks like this is better spot. will be bringing my 16” Teeter On a road trip during the new moon, 7/9 through 7/12 while I visit Gunnison CO (Black Canyon) and Great Sand Dunes. I am trying to find some possible observing sites at each of these locations that will be away for nearby light etc, and friendly to an all-nighter. Wondering if anyone knows of any. By the way, great to be back toCN after a hiatus with young ones (seepic) Great to see this thread alive and well from way back when I and CSA Montana kicked it off (circa post 5180084). Im living in CO now, and very psyched to take advantage of the Bortle 1&2 skies that are within a few hours of me.

Joe

Edited by jpcannavo, 05 July 2018 - 10:53 AM.

#327 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

I posted elswhere, but looks like this is better spot. will be bringing my 16” Teeter On a road trip during the new moon, 7/9 through 7/12 while I visit Gunnison CO (Black Canyon) and Great Sand Dunes. I am trying to find some possible observing sites at each of these locations that will be away for nearby light etc, and friendly to an all-nighter. Wondering if anyone knows of any. By the way, great to be back toCN after a hiatus with young ones (seepic) Great to see this thread alive and well from way back when I and CSA Montana kicked it off (circa post 5180084). Im living in CO now, and very psyched to take advantage of the Bortle 1&2 skies that are within a few hours of me.

Joe

Please make sure you post back with any sites you find.  I'm heading to this area next year and would welcome any suggestions too.

#328 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:33 AM

My favorite observing site to date is on a small white stone covered public beach access down in the Bahamas on treasure cay. The beach is on the north end of the island and gets whipped pretty hard by the wind, but on some nights the breeze is gentle and the summer milkyway is so bright you can see your shadow on the beach behind you.  

Edited by calypsob, 23 July 2018 - 12:33 AM.

• Vesper818 likes this

#329 ZachK

ZachK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

I observe from a wadi in a national park just outside Mitzpe Ramon Israel in the Negev Desert. Its about 1:20 from my apartment and has 0 visible man made lights

• Vesper818 and CCD-Freak like this

#330 futratmchamp

futratmchamp

Sputnik

• ***--
  • Loc: CA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:06 PM

HAS NOBODY ELSE NOTICED GIGANTIC ROCKS BEING HIDDEN IN THE SKY BY UNNATURAL CLOUD FORMATIONS...i WATCH THE SKY ALMOST NIGHTLY  FOR HOURS AND HAVE OBSERVED WHAT LOOKS LIKE HUGE ROCKS BEING OBVUSCATED BY FAKE OR ARTIFICIAL CLOUDS....I CANT BE THE ONLY PERSON NOTICING THESE OBJECTS

#331 6opuc9

6opuc9

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle area, WA State

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:40 AM

must be those chemtrails maan

• SILENCER likes this

#332 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

Results of too much vaping...

#333 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

It's why he's on "ignore".

• Vesper818 and Knasal like this

#334 jpcannavo

jpcannavo

Apollo

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

Please make sure you post back with any sites you find.  I'm heading to this area next year and would welcome any suggestions too.

So, not quite sure where I would be able to set up, I left the 16 Teeter at home, and brought a small refractor for a first outing to the black canyon. We went to the south rim. As the park rangers told me,  It turns out that a number of the turnoffs along the road following the rim can be used for observing, with the added kick of knowing you are a few dozen yards away from a nearly half mile deep abyss- adds a neat element for me! The only caveat would be passing cars, but in middle of the night, these would be few and far between, and would be a minor issue for a visual observer, with plenty of time to shield ones eyes as needed. And, these skies are dark! Bortle 2: clouds looked like coal black dark nebulae!. I will definitely be returning with my 16”!

• buckeyestargazer likes this

#335 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:02 AM

So, not quite sure where I would be able to set up, I left the 16 Teeter at home, and brought a small refractor for a first outing to the black canyon. We went to the south rim. As the park rangers told me,  It turns out that a number of the turnoffs along the road following the rim can be used for observing, with the added kick of knowing you are a few dozen yards away from a nearly half mile deep abyss- adds a neat element for me! The only caveat would be passing cars, but in middle of the night, these would be few and far between, and would be a minor issue for a visual observer, with plenty of time to shield ones eyes as needed. And, these skies are dark! Bortle 2: clouds looked like coal black dark nebulae!. I will definitely be returning with my 16”!

Thanks Joseph.  Did you visit the great sand dunes?

• jpcannavo likes this

#336 earlyriser

earlyriser

Vanguard

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

One concern I might have with this, depending on how far the observing areas are from the road, would be that passing cars might kick up dust that ends up on the optics. 

#337 jpcannavo

jpcannavo

Apollo

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

Joel

I didn’t get to the Sand Dunes weather looked iffy. By the way, at Black Canyon one overlook “pulpit overlook” looked like an especially good spot. Park rangers will tell you where it is. During September new moon, however,  I will be going to a spot close to Sand Dunes. The Starry Meadows site for the September Star Stare of the Colorado Springs Astronomical Society. Skies are Very Dark, Bortle 2. If it’s clear and if transparency is good, will be awesome.

Joe

• buckeyestargazer likes this

#338 jpcannavo

jpcannavo

Apollo

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:42 AM

One concern I might have with this, depending on how far the observing areas are from the road, would be that passing cars might kick up dust that ends up on the optics. 

Good point 

However two things reassure me. First is that it’s a paved winding road where the occasional cars move slowly so, I would be surprised if amount of dust kicked up significantly exceeded that which is wind blown. The other is that a number of these sites, such as Pulpit Overlook, let you get a hundred feet or more away from road. The biggest downside I think would be for imagers, where any passing ambient light could ruin an exposure. But for visual, would likely be great. Also, the rest of the Park has a number of other observing sites, with regular observing sessions around new moon.

• earlyriser likes this

#339 earlyriser

earlyriser

Vanguard

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

Good point 

However two things reassure me. First is that it’s a paved winding road where the occasional cars move slowly so, I would be surprised if amount of dust kicked up significantly exceeded that which is wind blown. The other is that a number of these sites, such as Pulpit Overlook, let you get a hundred feet or more away from road. The biggest downside I think would be for imagers, where any passing ambient light could ruin an exposure. But for visual, would likely be great. Also, the rest of the Park has a number of other observing sites, with regular observing sessions around new moon.

Pavement is good. I had pictured in my head a dusty mining trail running right by the observing area.

#340 Rovert9988

Rovert9988

Vostok 1

• Loc: WA State

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

My favorite site so far has been about 30 minutes outside of Arches National Park. The skies were absolutely dark and the air was very still. I remember struggling to get setup because it was so hard to pick out specific stars. Plus there were no trees to block the sky!

I took this picture of Saturn there using an EdgeHD 8" and a Samsung S6 camera.

Saturn 5-28-17

Edited by Rovert9988, 27 September 2018 - 07:27 PM.

• paul, JHollJr, GilATM and 4 others like this

#341 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:35 PM

My favorite site so far has been about 30 minutes outside of Arches National Park. The skies were absolutely dark and the air was very still. I remember struggling to get setup because it was so hard to pick out specific stars. Plus there were no trees to block the sky!

I'll be going to Arches next summer. Where specifically were you at?

• paul likes this

#342 claysshotgunner

claysshotgunner

Explorer 1

• Loc: Abilene Texas

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:14 PM

Unfortunately, the best observing site I have ever seen came when I only had casual interest.

In 1974, a bunch of us young high school graduates loaded in 4 cars and drove from Texas and drove south on Baja California.  I believe this would be very dangerous now.  But we had fun.  We found wide spots in road and camped sometimes in fields beside it,

I tell you.  Baja was DARK.  Sometimes it would be 40 miles to nearest village.  There were not many towns and the skyglow from LP was non-existent most nights.  Just the Milky Way shining overhead.  If ever there was a time to be an astronomy nut, that would have been it. I will never forget the views.

• GilATM likes this

#343 GilATM

GilATM

Viking 1

• Loc: Ventura, CA

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

Unfortunately, the best observing site I have ever seen came when I only had casual interest.

In 1974, a bunch of us young high school graduates loaded in 4 cars and drove from Texas and drove south on Baja California.  I believe this would be very dangerous now.  But we had fun.  We found wide spots in road and camped sometimes in fields beside it,

I tell you.  Baja was DARK.  Sometimes it would be 40 miles to nearest village.  There were not many towns and the skyglow from LP was non-existent most nights.  Just the Milky Way shining overhead.  If ever there was a time to be an astronomy nut, that would have been it. I will never forget the views.

If it was more stable/safe, it would be a great place for an astronomy "village" for those of us in Southern California!

#344 GilATM

GilATM

Viking 1

• Loc: Ventura, CA

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:39 PM

IMAG1880 s.jpg

I tried Walker Pass (California) Monday night.   I'd call it moderately dark.  Seeing was ok to good.   I liked the area - an unusual combination of decomposed granite hills, juniper and Joshua trees.   Temperatures were fine (70 or so during the day, 40 or so at night.)   There were headlights and noise from the nearby highway - and more troublesome - periodic cars looking for a place to camp from sundown until about 10.   There are only two official auto camping sites - and the lower one - the one I managed to snag - is the only one with a fair amount of room to set up equipment.   The view is great and the horizon is quite open.   I just wish it was a bit darker!   I might try Kennedy Meadows next time - another hour's drive I think, and last time I was there it was very dark - but seeing was bad, and swarms of hungry mosquitoes.   But it is late enough in the year that they should be more scarce.   I'm also going to try Starman1 (Don's) suggestion on the Lockwood Valley road - it is much closer!

Gil

Ventura

• spoonerizms likes this

#345 Bungee

Bungee

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Missouri

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:14 AM

Hello all, I live in the center of the Missouri Ozarks and enjoy some of the best skies in the state. The areas between Alton and Eminence will give what I would rate a Bortle 2, for sure a 3. We have Stegall Mountain here, a bald top with nearly 300° of view, 15 miles from any small town and over 50 to anything considered a city (pop. 12,000). Only problem is you have to walk about a mile from the nearest road, and no campground. You're on your own. There's lots of public land and open camping in the area, but most of it's primitive.

Put this together with the rivers, springs, hollows, small towns,..... and right in the middle of the country. If you're planning a vacation, you'll love this area. Night or day.

• Vesper818, JHollJr and Iamhondo like this

#346 10001110101

Vostok 1

• Loc: SE Ohio

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

I'm new to the hobby and so far my favorite spot is my backyard. However, there is a place not to far away that appears to be a promising place called the Calhoun County Astronomy Park. 

https://wvtourism.co...un-county-park/

https://calhouncount...com/stargazing/

https://www.facebook...hounCountyPark/

Edited by 10001110101, 04 November 2018 - 11:51 AM.

• Sam M likes this

#347 Nightlife

Nightlife

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Littleton, Colorado

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:08 PM

My backyard. Surely not the best, but where I do 95% of my observing. Tons of light and air pollution from near by Denver makes good seeing nights nearly impossible. But it's still way better than not observing at all! Plus I have power for my clockdrive, a place to warm up, a bathroom and an endless supply of hot coffee. The mountains are awesome here so it's a special treat once in a while to make the trek. It is a bit challenging hauling around a 100lb scope....Yep, the backyard...lol..
  • Vesper818, JHollJr and SILENCER like this

#348 SILENCER

SILENCER

Explorer 1

• Loc: Somewhere In Time

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

Dude. This is outstanding. I have basically the same scope, and ironically the same phone. Did you use something like the NexYZ adapter for your phone? Anything special you set your phone to exposure-wise?

• Nightlife likes this

#349 Mike91977

Mike91977

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:54 AM

Ok slightly off topic but relevant to the thread concerning viewing sites.

I’m pre-prospecting several spots of places that are on my bucket list and future camping/stargazing locations. After a lot of research and studying maps these might be ideal dark sky observing locations for me.

Maybe someone can chime in and give recommendations on these locations below.

1. Glacier Point in Yosemite Nat’l Park- I’ve been through and stopped in Yosemite for hiking a dozen times but never stopped in this particular location. It’s at higher elevation.

2. Mono Lake/Lee Vining area- I have driven through this area several times on the 395 to/from SoCal a decade ago. Another trip from Vegas back to Reno through Hwy 6 and 120 the back way along Mono Lake and back onto the 395. I didn’t stop but noticed it’s very dark at night, and at high elevation as well.

Tonopah, NV- Before I moved to San Diego in 2008 I lived in Fallon, NV and made a weekend trip to/from Vegas on the remote Hwy 95 passing thru the little town of Tonapah. This area is it was considered one of the darkest skies in the Southwest.

Lastly, Northern Death Valley- I’ve driven near it passing by Ridgecrest several times en route to/from San Diego/Fallon, NV

Unfortunately I wasn’t into astronomy at the time and busy with my career so I never took notice how great it would be to observe through a telescope. I was within reasonable driving distance of all these locations.

That said I plan on taking a long road trip or fly into Reno and rent a car in the future.

#350 Iamhondo

Iamhondo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Salem, MO

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

Hello all, I live in the center of the Missouri Ozarks and enjoy some of the best skies in the state. The areas between Alton and Eminence will give what I would rate a Bortle 2, for sure a 3. We have Stegall Mountain here, a bald top with nearly 300° of view, 15 miles from any small town and over 50 to anything considered a city (pop. 12,000). Only problem is you have to walk about a mile from the nearest road, and no campground. You're on your own. There's lots of public land and open camping in the area, but most of it's primitive.

Put this together with the rivers, springs, hollows, small towns,..... and right in the middle of the country. If you're planning a vacation, you'll love this area. Night or day.

Have you visited Echo Bluff State Park, north of Eminence? Great dark, wide open skies there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics