•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

the meade 8" sct lxd75

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 wagg

wagg

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:23 PM

hi, i'm looking at 8" sct's right now and am wondering if anyone has any opinions on this particular model?
cheers, wagg

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:01 PM

I'm in your exact position. I first looked at the Celestron 8 AS-GT one. I found out there are a lot of problems with this mount but the optics are good. As for the Meade, looks like a good scope. I haven't heard of any problems with it.
As for me, I eventually decided that the GEM scopes aren't for me. Fork mounts are a lot simpler and easier to use. I'm looking at getting a Celestron CPC 800 XLT in a couple of weeks.
Good luck.

#3 davidpitre

davidpitre

Skylab

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:44 PM

"Fork mounts are a lot simpler and easier to use. I'm looking at getting a Celestron CPC 800 XLT in a couple of weeks."

I'll second that. I've been very happy with my Meade LX90 after messing with several other similar scopes. It's only a few dollars more.

#4 JZaun

JZaun

Mariner 2

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:57 PM

Maybe my LDX 75 10" was a lemon and one of a kind (would never do more than 3-5 goto's without re aligning) , but after 5 months and 2 trips to Meade the dealer took it back and I replaced it with a Celestron CPC 8" XLT. The CPC8 works just as advertised!!! Perfect!!Hopefully I will post another review after tomorrow night. Finally we are geting a clear night .:)

Jerry

#5 wagg

wagg

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

thanks JZaun, the more i read the more i'm leaning away from the lxd75!
cheers, wagg

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:09 PM

I have the f/4 SNT version. They are worth the price. You can use a Tele Vue 2.5X PowerMate to get f/10 magnification from your EP's. I'll probably go that route.

The mounts need some tuning when you get them. Mine is at Meade right now getting Go To accuracy fixed, but Meade has no problem paying shipping both ways and arranges UPS pickup. I think the 9-speed slewing is better than the Go To function as I like to scan around a lot. Save money and get the EC version if Go To is not a big issue with you. You need a Losmandy or CGE, etc., if extreme Go To accuracy and reliability is a big issue.

While forks are quickly intuitive, EQ mounts with setting circles still work if the Go To computer ever fails. EQ mount becomes intuitive if that's all you ever use, and it's a non-issue if the Go To function is used.

The reversing switching on the hand controller is program selected rather than separate switches on the controller, so it is slow to access. As long as you stay in a particular quadrant of the sky, you don't have to reset this feature.

If you can afford better, then I would go that route. This is really a beginner/backup rig. While the tweaking can get tedious, that is a learning process as well. There are nights and places where you don't want to risk a high dollar outfit.

#7 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:34 PM

in 8" ,i like used meade lx200 classics at around just over a thousand dollars they are hard to beat for the money.

the nexstar 8's are good too if your mostly visual...actually i like them better for visual because they are lighter....I also like celestrons or meades, gps series ,but i usally see better deals on the classic meades,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics