•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 100ED v.s. Kowa Highlander

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#101 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

Hi Stephan,

No, I haven't used Kowa original mount. So I don't know how good it is. I expect that it is first rated :)

I would have bought original mount/tripod if I didn't have Half Hitch mount, though. However, I don't think that Kowa original mount has encoder built-in.

SkyCommander works great with HH mount. It may not be a good thing but I hardly use paper star map in the field.

You can find my current Kowa setup. Pictures were taken at local star party in Aug 2011.

http://www.pbase.com...oakpark20110827

Tammy

#102 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Tammy,

Thank you for the info and the picture link :smirk:

With regard to the original Kowa center mount: You are right, it has no encoders built in, and as far as I know it isn't prepared for a supplementary encoder integration.

Stephan

#103 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:10 AM

I like 14mm eyepiece, AFOV 70 degree, yielding 32x best. I wish they have made the same spec as 14mm eyepiece for other eyepieces, 9mm (AFOV 67 degree, 50x), 21mm (AFOV 63 degree, 21x). Even better, if they made to accept 1.25" standard eyepiece.

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

According the Italian-written review on binomania.it, comparing the Docter Aspectem 80/500mm with the Kowa Highlander 32x82mm, the three Kowa eyepieces give the following true FOV:
21x = 3.0°
32x = 2.2°
50x = 1.33°

Reading your several posts in this thread, it seems you like the 32x and 50x Kowa eyepieces best.

Apparently, the 21x slightly fails to deliver the same image quality of the 32x over the entire field. Would you still buy the 21x eyepieces again, and if yes, what are they, according your personal experience, best suited for: wide-field terrestrial or milky way observations?

Stephan

#104 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hi Stephan,

Reading your several posts in this thread, it seems you like the 32x and 50x Kowa eyepieces best.

Yes, I like 14mm and 9mm better than 21mm eyepiece. I think it is because of where I observe most, light polluted backyard. If I observe at darker site, I may change my opinion :)

Apparently, the 21x slightly fails to deliver the same image quality of the 32x over the entire field. Would you still buy the 21x eyepieces again, and if yes, what are they, according your personal experience, best suited for: wide-field terrestrial or milky way observations?

I would think so. If I observe summer Milkyway with Kowa Highlander, I would take an eyepiece provides the widest TFOV. So Kowa 21mm is good for that unless you venture modified Panoptic 24.

Well, for summer Milkyway, I use Miyauchi 5x32 binoculars most.

Tammy

#105 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

Tammy, thanks very much for the Kowa 21mm eyepiece info!

Stephan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics