•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other vintage scope ads.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
490 replies to this topic

#26 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

On the other hand I messaged a vendor that an item was priced about 100 times the usual selling price;he was in a hurry when placing the ad and left out the decimal point.He corrected ad and thanked me.

#27 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

Wel,I have been disappointed AGAIN by another ebay seller who didn't send the scope after I won and paid,apparently because the seller just wasn't going to let it go for the auctioned price! This time it was a Meade 285 that gathered so little interest that I won it for $6.50 (plus shipping).
Sellers should set a reserve if they aren't willing to live up to the auction results!Ebay did make a full refund (including shipping),as they have in a couple very similar instances.Probably the would-be seller also lost his ebay account privileges.Funny how there are all these sellers' notices "your bid is a contract"but only if it favors them. :(

I was about to "win" a very nice old classic refractor cheap on ebay with a huge shipping charge of $120. Right before the auction was over, the seller ended the sale and reposted with a much higher starting price. I made the mistake of telling him I was going to have someone local pick it up.

The "old it isn't bringing what I want so I'll end the auction early " or the "someone offered a real good price so I sold it and ended the auction early" have wasted my time more often than should happen.The seller that refuses to follow through has happened to me several times.
And the newest SCAM is super-high shipping and handling charges to guarantee a profit and avoid eBay fees (ebay gets a percentage of the sale price but not the shipping).

#28 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

And the newest SCAM is super-high shipping and handling charges to guarantee a profit and avoid eBay fees (ebay gets a percentage of the sale price but not the shipping).

Unfortunately, not new. I pass those right by!

#29 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

Educating the seller is always dangerous. I mentioned to a prominent astro vendor that he'd put up a $400 EP with a BIN for $4.99, and he bit my head off.

Huh? Didn't you just do him a very big favor??? :confused:

That's what I thought. I was just as confused by the reaction. I found I couldn't do anyone a favor.

In another deal, it was more of a "biter bit" - this guy duded up a *BLEEP* scope he got from somewhere, and was trying to sell it for $200. I was more interested in the ratty box he never opened but would let go for $5. That was where the true treasure was - Meade RG EPs, a nice trove.

I *almost* educated him. He was having none of it. So he went on to claim to people that a DS-114 with a broken primary could be fixed with super glue ... aack!

It truly is caveat emptor. Never believe you can make this process sensible.

By the way, the box cleaned up nicely once I got all the dessicated duct tape off, wet sanded, stained, lacquered, and buffed. Its nice to appreciate value.

#30 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

I say you don't have a moral obligation to educate the seller unless the seller is under some form of stress,as a newly widowed lady needing money,and who obviously has no idea that the "old telescope(or radio or whatever)" she asked $25 for is worth $1000.Legally you could just buy it for the $25 and gloat but maybe not sleep well.But if "she" is just wanting to "get rid of that JUNK he collected" and gripes ,then my sympathy lessens.
You certainly haven't an obligation to tell someone the item he bought at an estate auction for $10 and wants $50 is worth $200!But I'll sure tell him if it is worth $50 and he wants $200! :p

#31 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:20 AM

I say you don't have a moral obligation to educate the seller unless the seller is under some form of stress,as a newly widowed lady needing money,and who obviously has no idea that the "old telescope(or radio or whatever)" she asked $25 for is worth $1000.Legally you could just buy it for the $25 and gloat but maybe not sleep well.But if "she" is just wanting to "get rid of that JUNK he collected" and gripes ,then my sympathy lessens.
You certainly haven't an obligation to tell someone the item he bought at an estate auction for $10 and wants $50 is worth $200!But I'll sure tell him if it is worth $50 and he wants $200! :p

All true - and....my experience with sellers also varies quite a bit. My son recently picked up an old ETX125 for $50 for me. Before he could hardly look at it he had it in my son's back seat. When he brought it home a week later the focus mechanism was totally disconnected - there was no way to focus anything and test it. I'm convinced the seller knew this. What he didn't know, is I was able to part it out for considerably more. Caveat Emptor is right!

#32 WWPierre

WWPierre

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

Any comments on this one? http://vancouver.en....2364678365.html

#33 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

Any comments on this one? http://vancouver.en....2364678365.html

Hmm...guess it would matter what the "minor parts missing" are. :lol:

#34 WWPierre

WWPierre

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

My correspondance with the seller:

Thanks for your reply. I am considering this.

On May 6, 2011, james sorensen wrote:

I have very little knowledge of the workings of telescopes. Please excuse the wrong terminology. You should examine the unit carefully before buying it. however, some obvious things missing are ; power cord for the the Byers drive unit, the small sight thingy mounted on the side of the main body, the bolts for mounting the drive unit to the tripod and the "eye pieces".

Thanks Jim

Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 12:35:08 -0600
Subject: Your telescope on Craigslist

Hi,
It would be helpful to know what "minor parts" are missing.

Peter Legere

#35 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

The missing parts aren't a big deal if you already have eyepieces. A red dot finder or a telrad would make a decent substitute for the missing finder, though you might be able to find one of that vintage if you want to stay original.

I think Bob's Knobs or someone might have some nice knobs to mount the scope to the tripod. In any case, not a big deal, and you could always find replacement cap screws at a hardware store, if you know the size.

Only concern I would have would be when it was made. Uncle Rod will tell you that the optics right after Halley (1986) might be suspect due to wearing out the tooling trying to keep up with orders for new scopes. But the Byers drive is a real plus!

-Tim.

#36 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...90#ht_500wt_949

#37 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

It is amazing how people cannot tell when their photographs are out of focus! Most of the pictures are worthless.

#38 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

It is amazing how people cannot tell when their photographs are out of focus! Most of the pictures are worthless.

Agreed! The Tasco 7TE-5 looks like it *could* be in very nice shape, but I would hesitate to buy it (esp. at that price), without clear pics. Fuzzy pics always make me wonder whether the seller is just clueless about how to use a camera, or is just lazy (which, if the case, would also make me wonder how much care the seller will take in packing the item), or has something to hide. Just MHO, though.

#39 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Even with the fuzzy pics it has that "glow" that indicates a rather well cared for or unused look. I think for $225 and if I wanted it bad enough for my collection I'd jump on it yesterday! :smirk:Mike

#40 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

I was just through Fredonia a couple weeks ago, too!

It's a bit pricey, but looks interesting (small pic, though): Mayflower 4 1/2" reflector

-Tim.

#41 strdst

strdst

Aurora

Posted 07 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

Agreed clear photos are helpful in the decision making of whether to bid or not. Asking the seller to supply more/clear photos or to elaborate on the description is sometimes necessary. Since most of these 1960's classic scopes seem to be offered on eBay from sellers who have just bought them at estate sales, relevant photos aren't always available. Pictures of a barlow lens? I'd much rather know how complete the kit is, then the condition of the objective, and next the wood case. I have yet to see a photo that described the objective better than words.

The BIN price is a bit high. The shipping cost, maybe a bit high... I just paid $185 to have a Nippon Kogaku shipped from Georgia in three packages, so what do I know?! Since everything arrived in perfect condition I'm thinking money well spent. $85 for a 7te-5 might be about right.

A start bid of $160 seems good. A BIN of $225 if you ache for this scope might be reasonable as well. Takes the worry out of the deal. The OTA looks to be in the original plastic sleeve. The styrofoam case lid pieces are intact. I agree with my friend MikeyC that this scope appears to have not seen a lot of dark nights and therefore may be a good deal at the start $160 price or even the $225 BIN price.

I have two of these scopes and I'm glad I do. Both are well put together and optically killer. Unless you want to buy and flip for a profit...good luck with that!... at least making a bid @ $160 + $85 s&h is probably worth the risk AFTER asking the seller some questions. At this BIN price you have some time to do just that... ask questions. You maybe pay a bit more but also buy some time to make a more informed decision. When these 7te-5 scopes are good they are VERY good! I haven't seen a bad one (7te or 7te-5) yet. But that is out of 2 Tasco 7te-5 and a handful of 7t or 7te (910mm) equivalents under different names. I have plenty of dogs in the 60 X 700 and 60 X 900 format. 60 X 910 and 60 X 1000 have brought general joy and happiness to my life. Happy happy, joy joy isn't that what it's somewhat about? :lol:

Blah, blah, Woof woof! Sorry for the tmi moment. A potentially great scope for a reasonable (not killer deal) price. If this scope is as it seems and the optics are as built, the next buyer should be a happy next owner.

other keith

#42 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

If someone on this forum ends up getting the EBay Tasco 7TE-5, I hope we get to hear details about it later! While the price isn't cheap, if it's really in pristine condition, I'd say that it's worth the price (based upon my impression of the one that I just bought last week).

#43 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

I just want to point out that the pictures are dated Oct 2009. If the date stamp of the camera was correct, then you have to wonder if the scope was stored properly for the last one and a half years.....

Just doing the critical analysis thing! :rainbow:

#44 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

I just want to point out that the pictures are dated Oct 2009. If the date stamp of the camera was correct, then you have to wonder if the scope was stored properly for the last one and a half years.....

Just doing the critical analysis thing! :rainbow:

Looks like this is not an issue. I just checked some of the seller's recent Ebay sales and the photo dates are ALL 2009. looks like someone needs to update their time stamp... :whistle:

#45 strdst

strdst

Aurora

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Oh **** Preston, are you now saying it's not 2009 yet? I'm pretty sure it is 2010 and that rascal GW`is midway through his third term as pres... No memory loss here!

Actually that was very observant of you. AFCSI? Can't wait for the TV show. Maybe get Charlie Sheen to play you, as Mark Harmon is too Navy and Charlie needs work :roflmao:

other keith

#46 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

How about US-SCI? That stands for "Used Scope." Everyone here on the forum could make cameo appearances! :roflmao:

#47 strdst

strdst

Aurora

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

You bet! ... May I call you boss?

#48 nitrotwin

nitrotwin

Vostok 1

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

I started the bidding trying to score my first real classic I live close enough to go and pick it up on company gas I have emailed the seller for length of time to be picked up. :DWish me luck, Thanks JWB

#49 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

I started the bidding trying to score my first real classic I live close enough to go and pick it up on company gas I have emailed the seller for length of time to be picked up. :DWish me luck, Thanks JWB

Jack, good luck! If you can save the $85 shipping cost, that should be an awesome deal. :jump:

#50 nitrotwin

nitrotwin

Vostok 1

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

I really want a classic 60 I have a older B/L Skychief 3 junk looking to see how good it can be :shocked: Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics