•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another upgrade question... 12x50 binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:43 AM

After some research I am considering the "Pentax 12x50 PCF WP Waterproof Binoculars With Case" as an upgrade to my existing Meade 12x50. I plan to use them on a tripod with mount. I may use them hand-held, however, I find that 12x it is at my extreme limit for any amount of time holding. The current mount is an Orion Paragon XDH modified to hold both a WO Megrez 80mm and my current 12x50s.

My questions:
1) Does the Pentax mount with similar threads and bracket or is there another adapter I should plan on gettting?

2) Do the binos come with lens caps?

3) Should I be concerned about collimation if I purchase on-line since I won't be able to try first? Or should I try to find a local retail store?

4) I have read all (or at least most) of the related reviews and articles on CN and I think I will be o.k. with the FOV. Is there anything else I should consider or look into?

5) Anyone know of current sale / best price on-line?

Thanks,
Mark

#2 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:14 AM

Hi Mark,

3) Find a local retail store and try the one you want to take home. There are too many binoculars, even high end ones, that are not up to spec.

Rich

#3 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:55 AM

Or, use a mail order store with a good return policy

ed jones

#4 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:28 AM

Or, use a mail order store with a good return policy

ed jones

It is a big pain in the backside to do returns. With some models of binoculars most of the units are a little off in alignment. You may well get another bad one. If you get your money back that's nice but you still need to find a good binocular.

Even though I live in a big metro area there are very few Zeiss dealers with stock on hand. The only reliable Zeiss dealer is about a 4 hour drive, one way. At this point I would be willing to take that drive and pay state sales tax to look through the binocular before I buy it.

Rich

#5 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:29 AM

NorthCoast;

I think you going with the Pentax PCF WPII will make you very happy!

They should come with lens caps as do the 10x50 version(I've purchased two as gifts for family and get to use them..nice).

The main objective lens caps clip on to the neck strap...convenient.

I believe you'll need a Pentax L adapter to mate them to a tripod.

While the 50' AFOV is smaller than I'm used to....it's easy to accept a vibrant sharp to the edge view:)

Regards

Alby

#6 cota_scope

cota_scope

Ranger 4

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:15 AM

i have had both the pentax 12x50wp and the nikon 12x50EX and found that the nikon had better pinnpoint star images and was a better overall binocular.for a wide angle binocular the edge distortion was not that bad.the pentax was a bit out of collimation and and had to tweek it.the nikons can be purchased on ebay for as low as 129.00 new. i have never recieved a nikon that was out of collimation from any ebay store and nikon has a fast turnaround 25 year warranty . john c

#7 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:57 AM

I found a local place close that has both Nikon and Pentax. I hope to try them side-by-side for comparison. If it were winter I would be able to star test them during store hours. In either case I think I will be satified with the improved views over my exisiting binos.

Is there a link for testing binos? I thought I read a post (or maybe an article) regarding "What to look for when purchasing a good binocular?" but I can't seem to locate the text.... guess I'll go get my morning coffee, do some work and try later when I'm more awake.

Thanks,
Mark

#8 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:13 AM

Go to the "Best Of" links at the top of the binocular forum. Follow the links to the post "What to look for in a binocular when testing at the Store".

edz

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:17 AM

John,

how did you tweak the collimation on the Pentax?

remove the vinyl covering and find screws?
dismantle the eyepiece assembly to get at the shelf?

edz

#10 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:31 AM

Thanks Edz! :)

#11 cota_scope

cota_scope

Ranger 4

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:09 PM

ed i remove the vinyl covering to find the screws,the covering goes back on easy with contact cement

#12 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

The local store will only special order the Pentax and Nikon binos. I would have to pay for both and compare. Then return one with a small restocking fee due to the "special order". Unfortunitly, this also prevents me from evaluating multiple pairs of the same model.

I am now considering the "Oberwerk Mariner 10x60". From what I have read here at CN they are rated well however the are on the heavy/large side. Any additional thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics