•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 3 hits the App Store!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#1 dflachbart

dflachbart

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

I just went to the Southern Stars website and noticed the announcement of SkySafari 3! So far I see only the basic version in the App Store, but I'm sure the other ones will follow shortly. Great job!!

One question for Bill - will the Plus version allow upgrading to the Pro version as before through an 'expansion pack'? And if so, will this expansion pack also be offered half-price for the first month?

Can't wait to get my hands on it :jump:

Dirk

#2 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

Yes, the basic version was approved today. We are still waiting on the "Plus" and "Pro" versions. They could take a bit longer because of the greater complexity and because of the SkyWire hardware we support.

No, there will not be a way to upgrade from Plus to Pro without re-buying the app. Sorry. Please note that Plus will now include what used to be called the expansion pack for SkySafari. You can see a complete comparison between the versions at the SkySafari page on the Southern Stars web site.

#3 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:21 AM

Count me in for the plus version once it's approved.

No, there will not be a way to upgrade from Plus to Pro without re-buying the app. Sorry.

Considering all the lodsys issues at the moment, that's probably a wise move.

#4 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:22 AM

Hi Bill,

I bought it immediately until Pro becomes available. You deserve all sorts of support as I told you at NEAF.

When you asked my opinion on what feature should be added to the app, I told you that the only thing I was missing in SS was the Optics page in Starmap Pro. I am looking for the days you implement this feature. As I am an astrophotographer, I would love to see some improvement over what is available in Starmap, like pixel/arsec calculations etc, the general CCD/DSLR stuff, you know.

Another thing, could be DSLR control, which will then allow us to go to boonies without a computer and its heavy drain on our batteries... but this is not that essential for the moment.

You can even sell this Astrophoto version at a higher price and I would be willing to pay for it.

By the way, I have just replaced my Vixen control board and Starbook on my New Atlux with NexAtlux board/CGE-Pro Hand controller. Starseek and Skywire work great with this set up, without any glitches.

All the best

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi Sedat,

Thanks for the support. Yes, I remember our conversation at NEAF. Tim & I have had a discussion on how best to implement an equipment (optics) section so we could more easily display the magnification and show field of view. We hope to make something happen in that direction before too long.

Bill

#6 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

No, there will not be a way to upgrade from Plus to Pro without re-buying the app. Sorry.

Considering all the lodsys issues at the moment, that's probably a wise move.

For those that don't know, a patient holding company, Lodsys, is threatening to sue individual app developers if they implement "In App Purchase" like we used to do with the expansion pack. They claim to hold a patient on it. They want the app developer to fork over a percentage of their revenue for the privilege. Not clear how this will shake out.

#7 dflachbart

dflachbart

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

Hi Bill,

I'm a bit confused about the pricing... Initially I thought the prices stated on the SkySafari website would be the *regular* prices for the apps. Now seeing the basic version listed as $3 in the App Store, at 'half-price' for the first month, does that mean that the regular prices would be

Plus Version = $30
Pro Version = $120

??

Greetings,
Dirk

#8 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:44 AM

Really looking forward to Pro. With all the outreach I do with my Ipad its essential to have the most up to date Apps.

#9 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

Hi Bill,

I'm a bit confused about the pricing... Initially I thought the prices stated on the SkySafari website would be the *regular* prices for the apps. Now seeing the basic version listed as $3 in the App Store, at 'half-price' for the first month, does that mean that the regular prices would be

Plus Version = $30
Pro Version = $120

??

Greetings,
Dirk

Oops. That was our mistake. It is actually not possible to set the price to $1.50 because Apple only allows $1 increments. We've changed it to $0.99 for the first month.

The regular price on SkySafari Plus is $14.99 and Pro is $59.99. We will make those as close to half price as possible for the first month.

#10 dflachbart

dflachbart

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

Oops. That was our mistake. It is actually not possible to set the price to $1.50 because Apple only allows $1 increments. We've changed it to $0.99 for the first month.

The regular price on SkySafari Plus is $14.99 and Pro is $59.99. We will make those as close to half price as possible for the first month.

Phew, that sounds much better! It'll actually make me buy the basic version immediately because I simply can't wait until the other versions are approved. :) Might even make me consider to go Pro instead of Plus (especially considering the inability to upgrade). Thanks Bill!

Greetings,

Dirk

#11 donjulio

donjulio

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

If I have version 2 on my itouch, do I uninstall 2 and purchase 3 and install? Or is this done in the background when purchasing and installing version 3.0?
Thanks.
Jeff

#12 dflachbart

dflachbart

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

If I have version 2 on my itouch, do I uninstall 2 and purchase 3 and install? Or is this done in the background when purchasing and installing version 3.0?
Thanks.
Jeff

Jeff, I just installed version 3 on my iPad (without uninstalling the old version first). They seem to coexist without problems.

Dirk

#13 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Yes, SkySafari 3 is considered a "new" app and will coexist with SkySafari 2 on your device.

#14 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Viking 1

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

I'll get the "Pro" version as soon as it come out!

#15 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:15 AM

Count me in for the Pro version as well.
I am counting the days now.

#16 SATMAN

SATMAN

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

Pro version me Too!

#17 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

What are the differences between 2 and 3?

Southern Stars web site comparison shows basic, plus, and pro, but all for version 3. It'd be nice to see a feature run-down comparing the old and the new.

#18 Jeff in Austin

Jeff in Austin

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

Pro for me, too. I hope someone posts here when it's out because I don't check the app store too often.

#19 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

What are the differences between 2 and 3?

Southern Stars web site comparison shows basic, plus, and pro, but all for version 3. It'd be nice to see a feature run-down comparing the old and the new.

The "What's New" entry in the navigation bar of the SkySafari 3 web page lists what is new in the different versions.
What's New

#20 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hi Sedat,

Thanks for the support. Yes, I remember our conversation at NEAF. Tim & I have had a discussion on how best to implement an equipment (optics) section so we could more easily display the magnification and show field of view. We hope to make something happen in that direction before too long.

Bill

That sounds perfect Bill, thanks for considering.

Sedat

#21 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the link to the What's New in version 3.

1. Nice that you all all have incorporated S & T Sky Week. Question of the day, though, is it in a readable or resizable, reflowable text size? I know that the text in the dedicated app itself is not (pinch-zoom yes, but not text does not reflow).

2. In fact, does version 3 bring us a font resize option with text reflow for descriptions, help info, etc? Or, is that still on the docket?

3. Also, did the separate Jupiter, Saturn moon displays make it? I'm guessing not, as they are not listed.

4. Thanks for keeping it compatible with iOS 3. Do you know how well 3 runs on the iPod Touch 2G?

5. I take it that 2.1.2 is the end of the line for version 2.

Congratulations on the new version!

#22 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

1. No, the functionality is the same as SkyWeek
2. Still on the ToDo list
3. I don't recall what you wanted here. You can control the magnitude of moons shown. You can't just show Saturn's moons but not Jupiters
4. You must have misread. SkySafari 3 requires iOS 4.x
5. Yes, end of the line.

Thanks for the link to the What's New in version 3.

1. Nice that you all all have incorporated S & T Sky Week. Question of the day, though, is it in a readable or resizable, reflowable text size? I know that the text in the dedicated app itself is not (pinch-zoom yes, but not text does not reflow).

2. In fact, does version 3 bring us a font resize option with text reflow for descriptions, help info, etc? Or, is that still on the docket?

3. Also, did the separate Jupiter, Saturn moon displays make it? I'm guessing not, as they are not listed.

4. Thanks for keeping it compatible with iOS 3. Do you know how well 3 runs on the iPod Touch 2G?

5. I take it that 2.1.2 is the end of the line for version 2.

Congratulations on the new version!

#23 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

Took advantage of the intro price to download the basic version. Loving it so far!

However, one thing I found is that hitting the "Settings Help" item in the help menu causes the app to instantly crash every time. Every other help menu page works fine.

(16GB iPhone 4, iOS 4.3, FWIW)

#24 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

Yes, this is an unfortunate bug that is only in the basic (non-Plus, non-Pro) version of the app. We will be submitting a 3.01 version soon to correct this and a few other glitches.

You can actually get to the Settings Help by tapping the Center Help item (although the view will be titled "Center"). There is no way to access the Center help, although the gist of it is that you can tap the Center toolbar button to center the selected object.

#25 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

Whoops! You're right, of course. It's iOS 4 and up. Can't run it on my old iPod Touch 2G with iOS 3.1.3 (unless I upgrade iOS and risk battery drain).

Looks like I'm now going to have to buy the next iPod Touch when it comes out--or spring for an iPhone 4s, 5, whatever.

Hmm... the 99 cents I just spent on SS 3 is turning out to be an expensive purchase! :)

As to the moon display, I thought there were plans for a *separate* moons display. In other words, rather than having to zoom in, and in, and in on the main sky chart to get to the moons, one would tap a button and go to a display, with Jupiter or Saturn centered, time slider active, etc. One more tap and you'd be back at the main sky chart wherever you left off (90º, 120º, whatever).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics