•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 3 hits the App Store!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#26 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

As to the moon display, I thought there were plans for a *separate* moons display. In other words, rather than having to zoom in, and in, and in on the main sky chart to get to the moons, one would tap a button and go to a display, with Jupiter or Saturn centered, time slider active, etc. One more tap and you'd be back at the main sky chart wherever you left off (90º, 120º, whatever).

Yes, we do have plans for something like that. Just haven't gotten there yet. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

#27 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

Yes, this is an unfortunate bug that is only in the basic (non-Plus, non-Pro) version of the app. We will be submitting a 3.01 version soon to correct this and a few other glitches.

You can actually get to the Settings Help by tapping the Center Help item (although the view will be titled "Center"). There is no way to access the Center help, although the gist of it is that you can tap the Center toolbar button to center the selected object.

Ah, so you can. Looking forward to the update, and maybe to the Plus version as soon as I have some money :lol:

#28 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

So will V. 3 make the skyfi less apt to disconnect? It wasnt so bad with the iPad, but each time the iPhone would go to sleep, it would default back to its main wifi connection. I think if that worked, it would still be better than the wire.

Look forward to V. 3!

#29 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

So will V. 3 make the skyfi less apt to disconnect? It wasnt so bad with the iPad, but each time the iPhone would go to sleep, it would default back to its main wifi connection. I think if that worked, it would still be better than the wire.

Look forward to V. 3!

I've seen this happen as well and it is totally outside our control. The determination of what wifi it connects to and how long it stays connected has nothing to do with our app. It seems to be a bit worse in this respect with iOS 4.3. You could try rebooting your device, that sometimes has cleared up strange networking problems. Changing the status of "Ask to Join Networks" in the device's WiFi settings could also help.

There have been no changes in SkySafari 3 that should make this better or worse.

#30 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

I guess it'll just join the strongest network, and of course it'll turn wifi off when it's asleep to save power. Easy solution: when you join the network for the skyfi, go into your regular wifi network first and choose 'forget network'. This way it won't join your normal network when it wakes up. On the downside, you'll have to re-enter your network password to re-join it.

#31 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

I'm not even sure that (somewhat heavy handed) solution will work. I've seen it just drop the SkyFi network and not reconnect upon wakening even though there is no other network available. This doesn't happen every time and is in fact somewhat rare for me.

Just rejoining the SkyFi always works so SkyFi is still alive and well.

#32 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:43 AM

Well, I still look forward to the update, for the already best astronomy app there is!

#33 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

FYI: Both the Plus and Pro versions are now available on the app store.

#34 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

I am downloading but it is taking ages :) who cares ? :) :lol:
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

#35 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

I can't even get onto the store :(

#36 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

Got it (the Pro version)! Thanks for the heads up, Bill. This is a great program.

#37 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

Pro is installed and now downloading the Plus. I will have all three versions :)

#38 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

Sedat, you are a true fan. Thanks.

#39 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Bill, I cannot thank you and Tim enough. I am feeling better now. With all three of them I mean :)

Cheers

#40 Wilki

Wilki

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

My Orion Starseek wifi controller arrived today, couldn't have been better timing as I picked up SkySafari pro as well. I ran through an initial test run indoors. Everything worked great running with the iPad 2. This truly is an awesome app! I do like the new changes made as well, especially the night mode right in the toolbar. Previosly I used SkySafari 2 on my old 3G iPhone, I never observed without it. Now its even better.

#41 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

I managed to get onto the store when I got home, and picked up the plus version. First impressions: it's a great update. I love the new toolbar, and overall it's very good for usability. Nice and fast too, the graphics are excellent, and sky tracking works really smoothly now.

Some criticisms:

- Why have separate gyro/compass options? I'm struggling to think of a reason why I'd want one but not the other!

- The "tonight's best" screen. Sorry, but this part was a bit of a let down.

First it's kind of hard to find (it isn't really a 'search', neither are the observing lists, maybe if you get gyro/compass down to one button you'll have space to separate search + viewing lists?)

Second, it's just a huge mixed up list of objects. The 'tonight' list is one of the great features of starmap pro, everything is shown grouped by object type, and then ordered by magnitude, and it shows them all with rise/set times. In sky safari it's all mixed together, I'm not sure at all how it's ordered, and there's no indication of what is visible when (some objects are greyed out, maybe they're below the horizon right now).

Overall though, it's an excellent app, and I'd definitely recommend it. Especially at current prices, but even doubled it's excellent value. The feature set is great, and it's really good to use too.

(Oh, and I've just used it on my iphone 4 so far, not tried it on my 3gs or ipad2 - I'll speak up if there's anything to moan about / praise there too :D )

#42 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

...had a play with the ipad2. It's much more fun with a big screen :) The app's a pleasure to use on it. Picking a planet, zooming in, then hitting the fast forward button to watch the phases and the moons going round is great (especially when you see the moon shadows transiting!) Also good fun with the asteroids, watching the odd orbits.

Small bug found: when selecting an object from the lists, and then centring - it zooms in too far. It seemed ok on planets, but not DSOs.

#43 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

It should re-zoom to whatever level you were at before you centered the object. It doesn't try to zoom to an "appropriate" level for whatever object you chose (although we've talked about doing that).

#44 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

Ah! Now that is confusing - because for the planets I tried it did zoom to just the right level. What an odd coincidence, I was really thinking "they've got the zoom nailed for the planets, but the DSOs are miles out"!

#45 RobbW

RobbW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

Purchased and downloaded the Pro version today. I haven't had a long time to play with it yet, but what I have seen I like. However, just wondering if there is a way to turn off the sound effects, other than muting my iPod Touch. The SFX are kind of annoying. Other than that, I am very pleased with v3 so far.

#46 dflachbart

dflachbart

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

Purchased and downloaded the Pro version today. I haven't had a long time to play with it yet, but what I have seen I like. However, just wondering if there is a way to turn off the sound effects, other than muting my iPod Touch. The SFX are kind of annoying. Other than that, I am very pleased with v3 so far.

Settings / Appearance / Sound Effects -> Off. :)

Greetings,
Dirk

#47 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:53 AM

Yes, I to bought Pro and I am impressed so far! Havent found any glitches that bug me but havent really had any issues with 2.0 either.

#48 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:37 AM

Settings / Appearance / Sound Effects -> Off. :)

And also Search -> Observing List.

Neither of these are exactly 'obvious'. Maybe it needs some rewording, or different organisation? I find this kind of "UI structuring" incredibly hard at times - some things just don't fit into a nice, obvious category, and if you separate them out you end up with too many things on screen, and empty-looking menus.

#49 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:03 AM

Got the Pro version yesterday for my iPad2: it's totally a new experience from SkySafari2.
Now the only thing missing is the possibility of changing the smaller stars size to a bigger one.

:)
E.

#50 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

- Why have separate gyro/compass options? I'm struggling to think of a reason why I'd want one but not the other!

This was a hard UI choice. As you know the compass can occasionally be glitchy and if you can recognize at least one item in the sky the Gyro will be more accurate if you initialize on that object. Both can be useful. We thought about having a Setting for which button to display but decided against that. We could also ask the user which he wanted to do when tapping the button, but that was somewhat annoying. In the end we decided (for now) to have both. I'm sure this will evolve.

It is also the case that if (or when) we put in push-to DSC support using the Gyro, that button can be useful independent of the compass.

- The "tonight's best" screen. Sorry, but this part was a bit of a let down.

I'll let Tim chime in on that one if he wants. The "Tonight's Best" was his design. We just wanted a collection of the most interesting objects in the sky, showing which were above the horizon right now. I'm sure this feature will evolve also.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics