•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 3 hits the App Store!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#76 AndreaF

AndreaF

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:55 AM

I just bought the pro version for ipod touch and it's really well done, great job! i'm also waiting for the desktop version and I was wondering if there will be some sort of "communication" between them ... for example, it might be interesting to have the possibility of creating the list of objects in osx and then upload it to the iPod and, at the end of the session, do the reverse, download the list of observed objects (with all the data added) from the iPod to pc and save it as some sort of log...
At the moment I'm doing this with two distinct softwares but it's a really annoying work... ;-)

#77 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

Andrea,

Yes, we plan to have some sort of streamlined inter-app communication. It may not be in the first release, but soon after.

#78 Greg Keys

Greg Keys

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

I love this app!
The only suggestion I have is to add a logging database to record observations that includes the typical stuff like scope, eyepiece, conditions, comments. With that (and maybe some "whats up" type lists, I could be a happy observer with nothing but my scope and iPad in the field.

#79 ChipAtNight

ChipAtNight

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

I'd like to update my post on problems - Bill was very quick with his response, got most everything working again, the iPad problems were not a version 3 problem it was an OS thing that is now OK, V3 still crashes but fix on the way, and we have found ways to avoid most of the crashes!

The information and details this app provides make observing a lot of fun, looking forward to this weekend of clear dark skies and a long list of objects to view ready in my "Custom Observing List" and SkyWire or SkyFi connected to my XX14i -

Bill and team! - Thanks

#80 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

I bought the Plus version (which I consider quite adequate for my scopes, which top out at 10"), and am having a good time with it.

Needed feature: a quick way to flip the maps E-W for use with scopes having star diagonals.

#81 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

Joe,

It is not a one touch operation, but you can flip the maps by going to Settings > Coordinates > Flip Horizontally (or Vertically). Three taps.

#82 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

I'm usually going between my correct image finder and my main refractor view, which is flipped. Multiple taps between each view is not really very convenient.

I'd also prefer a night vision option that makes the controls and labels red but leaves the stars and object markers in their normal colors. I don't think that tiny bit of light will hurt my night vision (unless the real stars do too), and it would make the star symbols easier to see.

#83 pjglad

pjglad

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

Joe makes a good point. I too would like a one tap to flip the image on my SCT since my finder is CI. Thanks.

#84 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:11 AM

Nice app I installed it (Pro) last Tuesday and used it twice for observing since then.
Better than Starmap HD, many more stars, easy settings interface, nice sky view.

Some issues are still there:

- When using the default limiting magnitude and zooming in to an FOV of 5 degrees or less (bino or scope field) stars appear fainter than in an real eyepiece view which have an adverse effect on star hopping. From the other hand, I see a few mag +14 stars displayed as bright as +11 stars.
A solution might be that like in Starmap HD and Stellarium, you can register your scopes, binos and eyepieces in the app and eyepiece fields show stars until the LM of that scope / EP combination.

- When in Coordinates -> equatorial mode, the horizon cannot be displayed despite I have enabled it.

- Gyro works fine , but a two star alignment would be great to use the iPad/iPhone as a pushto device for *any* scope or bino.

#85 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Well, for flipping, the Starmap uses "swipes". You swipe from left to right, you get a horizontal flip; a swipe in the vertical direction results in a vertical flip. Maybe a similar shortcut can be used in SS as well.

#86 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Sedat,

How does this work? I tried swiping in SMP and it just scrolls the map. A two finger swipe didn't work either. What's the secret?

#87 psonice

psonice

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

Bill: try in the eyepiece view :) (And I think that's an important point to note - this is most useful in an eyepiece view, it'd just get in the way in the regular view because there's always a time when you want to pan with exactly the same gesture as a swipe).

#88 delgado39

delgado39

Ranger 4

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

My apologies if this has been answered previously. I have enjoyed the SkySafari program and wondered if there are plans to provide a feature so someone can go to a specific RA/DEC coordinate??? Maybe its already there and I just don't see it. I use the Celestron CGEM and the software has this feature which I find useful when trying to find lesser known objects. Thanks.

#89 bilgebay

bilgebay

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:22 AM

Sorry Bill, I forgot to add it works in eyepiece view only, which is where it should actually.

By the way, this eyepiece view function is another cool idea. It's very easy to switch between this and the normal view. You just turn your device face down and up quickly.

#90 brooster

brooster

Vostok 1

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

When does the sale end?

#91 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

My apologies if this has been answered previously. I have enjoyed the SkySafari program and wondered if there are plans to provide a feature so someone can go to a specific RA/DEC coordinate??? Maybe its already there and I just don't see it. I use the Celestron CGEM and the software has this feature which I find useful when trying to find lesser known objects. Thanks.

Settings >Coordinates > Chart Center Coordinates is where you enter specific coordinates for the chart center. If you have an RA/Dec you want to enter and you are in "Horizon" coordinates (the default), you will have to temporarily switch to Equatorial to enter the RA/Dec and then back to Horizon. The controls to switch coordinates systems is right above the center coordinates text field so it is easy to change.

Most lesser known objects can be searched for using any of their of catalog designations. For example, the Andromeda Galaxy can be found as M31, NGC 224, UGC 454, PGC 2557, MCG 7-2-16 or CGCG 535-17. Likewise, the double star Porrima can be found as Gamma Virginis, 29 Vir, HR 4826, SAO 138917, BD -00 2601, HIP 61941, STF 1670, ADS 8630 or WDS 12417-0127. SkySafari has a pretty extensive catalog of objects.

#92 delgado39

delgado39

Ranger 4

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

Thanks Bill . . . your quick response is appreciated... Reuben

#93 wfr

wfr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Great app!

Objects with no magnitude numbers are only shown when using the search function. Or am I something missing?

Walter

#94 sean76

sean76

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

Bill,

When can we expect to see Sky Safari hit the Mac App Store? Looking forward to that one too!

Sean

#95 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

Great app!

Objects with no magnitude numbers are only shown when using the search function. Or am I something missing?

Walter

Walter, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that when using Search, none of the objects have magnitudes? Can you give an example of an object to search for without a magnitude? There are some, but they are certainly in the minority.

#96 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

Bill,

When can we expect to see Sky Safari hit the Mac App Store? Looking forward to that one too!

Sean

Shooting for sometime in July.

#97 wfr

wfr

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:04 AM

Hi Bill,
If you search for e.g. Sh2-13, it appears as marked rectangle on the skychart (as it should). But if you click to any other point, the object disappears, regardless of FOV - probably because there is no magnitude value in the database. So the only way to show this objects is to use the search function. I hope it's clearer now.

Another question: Would it be possible make a 2- or 3-star-alignment to get a push-to function?

Thanks Walter

#98 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

Love, love, love Sky Safari 3 Pro. It's going to transform the classroom portions of my astronomy classes. One ? -- how do I DEselect an object so nothing's highlighted? Looked in help, SS website, and Google and came up empty.

#99 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

Hi Bill,
If you search for e.g. Sh2-13, it appears as marked rectangle on the skychart (as it should). But if you click to any other point, the object disappears, regardless of FOV - probably because there is no magnitude value in the database. So the only way to show this objects is to use the search function. I hope it's clearer now.

Yes, now I see what you mean. I suppose we could have a switch to show all objects in the database even when there is no listed magnitude for them. Have to think about that one.

Another question: Would it be possible make a 2- or 3-star-alignment to get a push-to function?
Thanks Walter

The latest version (3.0) does have 2-star alignment for basic encoder systems. What encoders do you have?

#100 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

Love, love, love Sky Safari 3 Pro. It's going to transform the classroom portions of my astronomy classes. One ? -- how do I DEselect an object so nothing's highlighted? Looked in help, SS website, and Google and came up empty.

SkySafari always has something as the selected object. I assume you are bothered by the constellation being selected when you tap an empty region? If you turn off "Tap to Select" in the Constellation settings, then when you tap on an empty space in the chart, the Sun is selected (which generally appears as no selection). Is that helpful?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics