•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari 3 hits the App Store!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#101 Scopenik

Scopenik

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

Perhaps a "Deselect Object" option would help. I also noticed this. To "deselect" a constellation I tap and "select" a star or other object.
I do not see a way to "deselect" completely once a first object has been "selected". I just ignore whatever is selected and if the blue highlighted region of a selected constellation is distracting, "selecting" some other star or other object works well enough. "Deselecting" completely would be better.

Glenn T.

#102 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

That is why selecting the Sun (by turning off selecting constellations and tapping a blank area) works pretty well. It is uncommon to be studying a part of the sky with the Sun in it. When the Sun is selected, it is generally not visible.

It is not as simple as just having a "deselect" button. A lot of code in SkySafari assumes there is always a selected object. It was a design decision made a long time ago.

#103 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hi Bill,

When you start up, is the Sun selected automatically and I just missed it?

I'll try the workaround but it would be nice to have a gesture (or button) to deselect. The constellation select is nice in the classroom and I'd hate to have go give it up, but I can see where outside of the classroom it wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks!

#104 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

Actually, Bill, I just toggles off the constellation selection and tried what you suggest, which works great. I then did a search for constellation and got one (Bootes), saw all the wonderful info, and centered it on the chart and it pulsed the highlighting on and off. That will work perfectly well for the classroom, so I'm good on that. Thanks!

#105 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

Ooh boy I just tried the asterism display and it JUST GETS BETTER for teaching. First time I've seen the common "practical constellations" that people learn under a typical suburban sky. I don't want to gush but, again, I'm impressed more and more. I can't wait for tomorrow night's class!

#106 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Yes, turning off "Tap to Select Constellations" does not prevent you from selecting them in other ways (using Search or from the list of constellations).

Glad this work around is working for you.

#107 FFS

FFS

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

Does anyone know if skysafari 3 will work with Meade lx50 fitted with magellan 2? Has anyone tried it?

#108 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:59 AM

Does anyone know if skysafari 3 will work with Meade lx50 fitted with magellan 2? Has anyone tried it?

SkySafari (amazingly) has a driver for the Mag 2...so give it a try.

#109 TBerdon

TBerdon

Vostok 1

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

I received my SkyFi unit last week and as would be expected, the weather gods have not been cooperating, so I played with it and SkySafari in my living room. Very cool!!!
I was extremely impressed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics