•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Use of vintage eyepiece sun filters.

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#276 terraclarke  Happy Birthday!

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Zinzinnati

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

Yeah! :4

“You’ll shoot your eye out kid!” ;)

• photiost and Augustus like this

#277 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

I still find it strange that the meticulous and careful Japanese could have sold these filters. There must have been evidence of failures. Also, it was probably intended only to be used with a Huygenian eyepiece having simple elements and with the focal plane rather far from the filter.

They make good dust caps :)

-drl

• terrapin, terraclarke and Augustus like this

#278 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Why were these filters designed to fit at the eyepiece? Wouldn't it have been just as easy to fit them over the objective? Was it purely economic, a smaller filter being cheaper than a larger one?
  • Augustus likes this

#279 nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

Recently found in a vintage scope case (the filter, not the guitar pick, which I am using to point to the crack):IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0317.JPG IMG_0320.JPG

And yes, light passes through the crack. I've added a third picture with the filter on a flashlight.   Hopefully nobody was looking through this at the time.

Edited by nashvillebill, 04 July 2018 - 10:20 AM.

• Augustus likes this

#280 Kasmos

Kasmos

Apollo

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

I think it's strange how (for some cosmic reason), my last few telescope purchases have included the Sun filter but no Moon filter. The Moon filters must end up in Black Holes.

The latest one came without any eyepieces but there was that darn filter again! grin.gif 

Perhaps the explanation is, they don't get used so tend to stay in the box. 

• Augustus likes this

#281 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

I think it's strange how (for some cosmic reason), my last few telescope purchases have included the Sun filter but no Moon filter. The Moon filters must end up in Black Holes.

The latest one came without any eyepieces but there was that darn filter again! grin.gif

Perhaps the explanation is, they don't get used so tend to stay in the box. 

The Moon filter was not always included, particularly in earlier scopes. The only time I used mine was on Venus :)

-drl

#282 Kasmos

Kasmos

Apollo

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

I can't believe they sell these brand new from China.

Read the description for warnings.

Also available for 1.25" eyepieces!

https://www.ebay.com...3.c100754.m4842

#283 terraclarke  Happy Birthday!

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

From the fine print at the bottom of their ad:

“Suitable for occasions: watch the rising sun, sunset (at noon, the sun is too strong, do not support the use, need to be equipped with other filter parts)”

“Usage: please turn the sunglasses into the lower part of the eyepiece after use, then connect the eyepiece to the zenith mirror. Reminder: please use it in the morning or evening, where the sun is not strong enough to cause an explosion and hurt your eyes. Where exceptionally high air quality is available, or buyers who need to see the sun for a long time, it is recommended to buy the Bard film! If you are Qinghai, Tibet, Yunnan and other air quality is particularly good, or plateau areas, it is recommended not to use this paragraph sunglasses, easy to hurt your eyes Oh! Note: do not watch for more than a minute, or it will burst easily, but it won't hurt eyes, because sunglasses are placed under the eyepiece.

:lol: It will explode but it won’t hurt your eyes because its under the eyepiece?! :foreheadslap:

• rcwolpert, Kasmos and Augustus like this

#284 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

I’m so glad to see that they provided detailed usage instructions! lol.gif  I feel so much safer.  They might have added, “Viewing sun much safer between sunset and sunrise”. 

• terraclarke, Augustus and nowhere like this

#285 terraclarke  Happy Birthday!

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:03 PM

^ :rofl: ^

• rcwolpert likes this

#286 Adam S

Adam S

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Gunnison, Colorado

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

I could lose my vision for only $2.50 plus shipping? What a bargain.

• terraclarke and Augustus like this

#287 dhferguson

dhferguson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:20 PM

Cheers,

Indeed, the best advice is simply never to use the eyepiece-based "Sun" filters ... never! That quick look is not worth the crack, the blinding flash, and then the permanent eye damage. I liked one poster's conception of the "Sun marshall," too. Indeed, an aperture solar screen can be blown/hit/fall/etc. off. I use Velcro to be sure. Also, when others are around, you must watch them like hawks! I've had youngsters try to remove the cap on the finder!

Here's another problem with solar viewing some of you may not have thought of. In lieu of a full aperture filter (i.e., Tuthill, Thousand Oaks, etc.), some of us have projected the Sun through an eyepiece. If you do this, make sure the eyepiece is uncoated and not cemented. Otherwise, the heat will damage the coatings and/or cement, and ruin that potentially expensive eyepiece. The best choices for a projection eyepiece are uncoated two-element designs, such as Huygens, Ramsden, or symmetrical types. They are surprisingly hard to find these days.

Happy observing always,

Don

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics