•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skytools 3 worth ???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#26 dflachbart

dflachbart

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hey guys, let's all play nice, alright? :)

Here's an independent observation (I'm also a professional software developer and had my fair share of software bugs) - I followed Scott's detailed steps that he listed above, and I am able to reproduce the exact same behavior on my machine (Windows 7, 4-CPU core, decent graphic card). After I zoom out beyond a certain point (for me 414 x 180 was sufficient) the program hangs, and one core keeps running at 100%). The only way to get out of ST3 is to kill the process. Though there is a major difference in my environment - once I start up ST3 again and go to the same view, it does come up normally, so it seems it didn't save this huge FOV as the default for me. Thus it's easy for me to recover from this issue, having to kill Windows processes isn't that unfamiliar ;)

But I have to agree with Scott here - this is definitely a bug in the software. If a large FOV is able to cause too much computation for the CPUs to handle then the program has to implement a 'safety' break to avoid this, period. ST3 is an awesome program (and I haven't had any issues with it yet), but yeah bugs can pop up in any software. I'll report this issue to Greg too, and I'm sure if he can reproduce it himself with those detailed steps (and I have a feeling he will) then I'm sure he'll fix it.

Greetings,

Dirk

#27 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Dirk. Thank you for verifying that I'm not seeing UFO's! ;)

I reported the issue on the yahoo group, and Greg agreed that it was a bug and that he'd work on a fix for it.

Any program can (and does) have bugs. It is great to see good support from the developer. If I expressed in frustration, any skepticism about Greg's support earlier in the thread or gave that impression even, I apologize for that. That is just not correct nor fair to him. He does support his product, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea here.

#28 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

It is perfectly logical since the program has been on the market for years and nobody is reporting it despite extensive testing.

I do think there should probably be a safeguard in the program against one of the things you report; to prevent users from zooming way, way out with all objects on. OTOH, I don't believe you are going to do that by mistake, by "nudging" the mouse wheel. ;)

AFAIK, your whole set of problems stems from the above, and, yes, I agree there should be a failsafe against this. OTOH, almost any program can be "broken" if you try.

#29 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hi guys.

I just found this...

http://www.cloudynig...7/o/all/fpart/1

I'm extremely glad to see all Lyrae stars are represented this way as Starry Night doesn't show E and F nor the others. I'm really eager to get it now. I imagine Orion trapezium should be well represented too ? Starry Night show E and F trapezium as 20th mag starsf as they are in the 10th mag range and Stellarium doesn't show them.

Andre.

#30 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

I'm so angry....

I ordered Skytool 3 not long after I initiated this thread but still waiting for it to be delivered. What make me so angry, Canada Post employees are on strike and I have to wait the conflict is set. Grrrrrrr.

Andre.

#31 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

I'm so angry....

I ordered Skytool 3 not long after I initiated this thread but still waiting for it to be delivered. What make me so angry, Canada Post employees are on strike and I have to wait the conflict is set. Grrrrrrr.

Andre.

That's really unfortunate Andre. We certainly live in times that will test a person's patience. Despite my little tiff with Uncle Rod, I really do think it is a very good program, and that you will enjoy it a lot.

I wonder if there's any way the software could be delivered by UPS or FedEx or one of the other private couriers in this unusual circumstance? I'd think you'd have to pay for the extra shipping, but perhaps Greg will work with you because that is certainly an event neither you nor he could anticipate.

#32 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:46 AM

Scott.

Please don't tease me... I'm sure I'll enjoy this software and I'm so eager to get it. As for your suggestion about UPS, the software is probably stuck in the Canada Post warehouse for a couple of days and would, so no way to get it out from there.

Andre.

#33 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

Scott.

Post Canada strike is over... yeah! I'm waiting my package now.

Andre.

#34 Paula E

Paula E

Non-standard Title

• -----

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hey that's awesome, Andre! Let us know what you think once you do get it. Be sure to check out the random observing list generator - it really is well done. Also, IIRC, there are a bunch of observing lists on Craig's site.

#35 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

Scott.

For sure I'll let you know my impressions as I'm a long long Starry Night user. I like Stellarium for some features, but SN is the best to me. So for sure I'll compare it skytook 3 and see what I like and dislike. After that, I plan to do a presentation of all three at my astronomy club.

Andre.

#36 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

It would be nice if SkyTools worked on a MAC without having to use Bootcamp or Parallels. :(

#37 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

It would be nice if SkyTools worked on a MAC without having to use Bootcamp or Parallels. :(

I understand it does well with Crossover.

#38 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

Yes....

Installing SKytool 3. I'll spend lot of hours tonight exploring this software.

Andre.

#39 Dandelion

Dandelion

Explorer 1

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

"It would be nice if SkyTools worked on a MAC without having to use Bootcamp or Parallels."

Agree!

#40 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

"It would be nice if SkyTools worked on a MAC without having to use Bootcamp or Parallels."

Agree!

Unlikely that there will be a Mac version. It will, as I said, work with Crossover, though.

#41 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

Lost this thread somehow - installed CrossOver trial version and am installing ST3 as I type. I am gonna be stoked if it works! Thanks Rod!!!

#42 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

Hi Ron:

Please report back with your findings!

#43 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

In short - It WORKS!!! A couple of quirks (minor) that may have to do with user error. I installed, set it all up and played with a couple of observing lists and all was well.

I love that you don't have to partition your drive or run the Windows OS - the whole point of going to a MAC.

Thanks you thank you thank you!

#44 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

In short - It WORKS!!! A couple of quirks (minor) that may have to do with user error. I installed, set it all up and played with a couple of observing lists and all was well.

I love that you don't have to partition your drive or run the Windows OS - the whole point of going to a MAC.

Thanks you thank you thank you!

SUPER! :yay:

#45 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:16 AM

Scott.

I played a lot with Skytool 3 and on first after looking at the tutorials, they are right. Its totally different from any other planetarium software. But I like it. Its very fun how it generate observing list. I have lot to explore yet but in a general view, I'm quite comfortable with it.

Therefore, I find something very annoying. How come I'm unable to identify the Orion's trapezium ??? There lot of stars, but none of them seems showing the trapezium itself. I just can't see E and F stars nore the main ones. In Stellarium its also very hard to see because of the nebulea. Only Starry Night show it very good.

Andre.

#46 UmaDog

UmaDog

Vanguard

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

I too use SkyTools with Crossover on the Mac. Works pretty well. I agree, however, that the planetarium view is slow and clunky.

#47 Cames

Cames

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

Andrev,
Keep working at it. Skytools has a steep learning curve. Once you master it, it will be indispensable to you.

I have Skytools 3 Pro edition with the full star database installed. If you have the Pro edition, searching for term 'Theta 1 Ori' will get you to the Trapezium information with quick links to the atlas and telescope views. I am not sure about the basic edition. Adjust the field of view to one arc minute or less and pay attention to the time to be sure it is above the horizon and you will see it take its familiar shape.

Skytools User Group
This link will take you to the user discussion group with answers to many of your specific questions and which is regularly monitored by the author of the Skytools application.

I hope you find this helpful.
-------
C

#48 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:00 AM

Agreed Andrev, keep playing with it. For your example of the Trap SkyTools shows it better than any of the other software I've used, and definitely better than Starry Night which I found which was distorted and squashed, and didn't show any of the companions E through H. I never found SN or Stellarium to be effective for double stars or open clusters, my two favorite DSO's, and two things I find SkyTools excels in.

The attached screenshot is a zoomed in section of the Eyepiece View screen of the Trapezium in my 4", the red color represents M42 nebula. As you can see all the stars are clearly there in their correct positions and brightnesses for next Jan 14, with the Moon at waning gibbous. Ignore the duplicate B star though, it apparently is input twice, one of the FEW errors I've found in SkyTools' database. SkyTools can provide you almost all you need in astro software, and much better than Starry Night; it just takes a bit of time to learn and configure to your needs.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4698677-Trap in 4in.JPG

#49 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

Cames and Steve.

For sure I'll continue using it. Its a very interesting software to discover. I like it very much. I have the pro edition too and Steve, I have to check again my trapezium as I don't remember seeing it like on your picture. Now you make me curious to have a closer look.

I master it pretty well but still lot to discover. So yes I'll be a real fan of Skytool 3. Oh, I have to add that E and F stars are represented in Starry Night but with the wrong magnitude. They are classified as 22 mag so you have to zoom to max to see them.

Andre.

#50 Cames

Cames

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

By the way, Andrev,

If you have an interest in Double and Multiple stars, Skytools is a hoot.

By zooming to the proper level, for just about any multiple star system, it will show you the stars' individual components, in their relative positions and, often, the color of each. You can command it to label the individual components for you as well. This separation of components and the labeling works in the Atlas, the Telescope View and the Context Viewer. It also will measure the distance and position angle between components in the graphical displays for you.

For example, search for 'Beta Mon' and link to it in the Atlas. Initially you may see it displayed as a single star. Now, Zoom in until you see it separate into four components.
Give it a try and see. It's fun.

It has increased my satisfaction and appreciation of the observation of multiple stars by a quite a bit.

------
C

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics