•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax 8x32 ED

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

My UPS guy just delivered my Pentax 8x32 ED binoculars that I ordered for their close focus of a little over 4ft , 60° AFOV and great Pentax ED optics. I just compared them to my 8x42 Pentax DCF WP roofs and 7x42 Zeiss FLs under dim grey clouds with light rain and they are just as bright as my 8x42 DCF WPs but not as bright as my Zeiss 7x42 FLs . I knew they would not be as bright as the 7x42s since they are one of the brightest ultra premium out there but I am happy that they are just as bright as my 8x42 DCF WPs. The color and sharpness look just as good as the Zeiss handheld just eyeballing the view of flowers etc. They are a nice small binocular that won't take up much room in a backpack etc.

Posted Image

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

Nice comparison shot, Joe. The bags actually tell more on their relative size when travelling.

#3 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:23 AM

Nice to hear about the 8x32 ED Pentax's.
The DCF Pentax ED roofs have not received a lot of attention on the C.N. forums.
They are the premium roof binocular from Pentax. They come in 4x sizes - 8x32, 8x43 10x43 and 10x50.
They are Japanese made - as are the second level 'SP' versions - which lack the ED glass.
I have owned the 10x43 ED version for about 4 months. I picked them up second hand in mint condition for $US400. A good buy.
There are very minor aberrations and distortions however one has to look critically to discern them. There is some very minor curvature of field of view and pin cushioning effect. Eye placement does have to be critical to any avoid 'black out' effects.
On axis stars are absolutely pin point with no spiking effects.
The image is bright and rewarding. The contrast and color fidelity of the view is noticeable.
The FOV is a 90% usable. The ED glass works well with no obvious color fringing.
The 10x43 has an 'average' 60 Afov. The 8x43 does have a narrower 50 Afov.
ER is 17 mm and they weight an average 25.8 oz.
They are not inexpensive - the 10x43's are around the US$1000.
The optics are 'almost' Alpha quality - but not quite. But then again they are not Alpha binocular costs.
With most Alpha binos you do get that 'X' factor with the Pentax ED's you get that more highly efficient 'clinical' effect.
They do get very positive reviews on the birding forums.
Mine are keepers.

Chris

#4 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

I agree about the wider 60° AFOV in the 8x2 ED and 10x43 ED and that is why I purchased the 8x32 ED. I wonder why Pentax did not come out with a 12.5x50 ED with 60° AFOV since they had the 12.5x50 SP with 60° AFOV.

Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics