•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1 inch for $1400

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#26 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:51 AM

You could probably afford a real boat if you were better at math :roflmao: <<-- Joke.

That's why I have a canoe. :lol:

#27 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:24 AM

You could probably afford a real boat if you were better at math

No thanks! When I was a teenager I lived on a houseboat and worked on a charter fishing boat out of the Keys. I learned the truth about the saying

"A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, metal or fiberglass into which one pours money."

Astrophotography can be like that, too. :lol:

#28 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:02 AM

LOL... Yea, some boats are money pits. Luckily, mine isn't. Buy quality and it'll be cheaper in the long run. Ditto with scopes. ;) I bought an 18' Stratos Bass boat in '95 and all I've done is had the Evinrude (150) serviced once in that time. I can't complain about that!

Astrophotography does make you feel like you're bleeding cash, at first. I did film for years, and while it's a lot cheaper than CCD to start, it's also a lot more difficult to do well. Compared to film, CCD is a no-brainer. IMHO, worth every penny I've spent.

Note: I've also got a 12.5" dob with no widgets on it at all. 100% manual operation. Glass, frame and focuser. I love it. I'm one of those rare fools who believes that there's nothing "wrong" with either style of viewing (cheap/expensive)...

No thanks! When I was a teenager I lived on a houseboat and worked on a charter fishing boat out of the Keys. I learned the truth about the saying

"A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, metal or fiberglass into which one pours money."

Astrophotography can be like that, too. :lol:

#29 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:24 AM

You could probably afford a real boat if you were better at math :roflmao: <<-- Joke.

you know what..you might be on to something there..
I am surprised nobody caught it..
I did the formula pi R squared only
I multiplied 22/7 x 7 squared & 8 squared...
which would be the diameter :foreheadslap:
the radius is half that. so it is 38" sq
and 50" which works out to 42$ a sq inch
and 38 for the basic level 7"
I was thinking boy those scopes are big , then it hit :tonofbricks:me

#30 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:13 PM

[BS]
Uh, yea, we caught it. We were just seeing how long it'd take for you to catch it... :grin:
[/BS]

I am surprised nobody caught it..

#31 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:59 PM

:applause:
oh well win some, loose some

#32 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:47 AM

ON APO's, the jump from 5" to 6" is about $3,000. The jump from 6" to 7" is about $9,000, and the jump from 7" to 8" is about $18,000. That last 1" can be REAL expensive!

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics