•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Barska 12-60 X 70mm Zoom Binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2004 - 02:01 PM

After doing some search on the net, It appears that the Barska 15X70mm Binos are not available here in Canada but the Barska 12-60X70mm zoom Binos are. Has anybody heard or had any experience with these? I also noticed that there are few referals to zoom binos on these forums and was wondering if there was a reason for this?

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 07 January 2004 - 02:19 PM

Most zooms are generally relegated to the class "poorer quality".

edz

#3 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 07 January 2004 - 05:50 PM

Any binocular , ZOOM or otherwise , that has a magnification numeral capability approaching , let alone exceeding , 50 per cent of it's objective diameter in millimetres is in serious danger of being relegated to the "leave well alone" category.

The binocular with "statistics" closest to these in my personal collection is a 12 x 25 compact.

It is JUST useable in my opinion --but only because the magnification is 12x.

If we "doubled" the "statistics" to 24 x 50 , or "trebled" them to 36 x 75 , to make them at all useable they would have to be constructed to an exceedingly high standard of collimation and using the very best materials ( such as fluorite glass and multi -layered Zeiss -quality coatings)
to tempt me to look through them , let alone look "into" them as a potential purchase.

That said -- if for example LEICA , utilising twin versions of their 77mm APO spotting scope objectives combined with a brace of their superb 32x eyepieces , came up with a tripod -dedicated 32 x 77 binocular , in spite of the likely $2000 US PLUS price tag , I have no doubt there would be SOME satisfied buyers.

clear skies -- Kenny.

#4 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:49 PM

Check out the previous thread on zooms "Anybody using zoom binos?" started by Tom Trusock. I posted comments about my Nikon 8-16X40 XL Zooms. These are not low-end zooms like the Nikon Action series or Baraska, these are premium bins, very sharp, good edges, relatively wide FOV for zooms (5.2*), all metal construction, but surprisingly light (26 oz.). I can use these handheld at 16X! They sell for $600 new, got them in a trade for about $400. See reviews on Excelsis.com

I've seen other zooms, and didn't like them, always cheap, dim, small FOV, and not sharp. The XLs are the exception to the rule, however, they DO suffer from miscolimation at close focus. I need to get them repaired although they work perfectly fine for astronomy. the overlapping cirlces are only noticeable at close focus (less than 30 ft.) and even then they are sharp with no overlapping images or eyestrain, just the pecularity of collimating zooms. I'd be even more worried about collimation problems with Baraska. When I get these back from Nikon I'll let you know how they look at close focus. If they can get rid of those overlapping circles (shadow of the barrels?), they will work great for birding and astronomy.

The alternative type of multiple power bin is the Duovid (8 + 12X42) and (10+15X50). They have two powers instead of a whole range. I haven't heard any rave reviews about them yet, but they're fairly new and VERY expensive so not many people probably have them. However, from reading about them, I think they represent a better alternative to zooms. Just as with cars, advanced technology is usually first tried in the top of the line models. If successful, I think multiple power bins will eventually be made by other companies, and some of those will be more reasonably priced. Let's hope!

Brock

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics