•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

15x70 vs. 20x80 Obies for occasional non-mount use

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#26 oToiosoiovoio

oToiosoiovoio

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:56 AM

I have a 20x80 pair. no tripod, no good.

#27 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:43 PM

While i like the sound of 18mm of ER, i'm perhaps more sold on the optical quality i hear coming out of the Oberwerk name. Just wanna be sure the ER will cut it for a typical eyeglass wearer!

Thanks for how you've helped me (and dare say hundreds) in the bino realm... and i certainly appreciate any light you can shed on the eyeglass-aspects of these 80LW Obies.
:cool:mike b

Mike,

Kevin B & staff at Oberwerk is the most friendly, helpful BigBino retailer I've ever done business with. Questions are answered and adjustments made promptly. Kevin has taken the time to measure product dimensions for me while I am on the phone.....I am sure if you call Oberwerk and asked them check the ER of the Oberwerk 80mm LW with glasses on they will be happy to help you.

Oberwerk is also very good with returns and exchanges if you change your mind after delivery.

Erik D

#28 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

Hi Erik-

Well, i decided to bite on the $150 Apogee 20x80LW's from the link supplied above... their ad photo & published specs lead me to believe they are likely the identical animule as the Obies... their listed ER of 18mm actually sounds in line with what you experience with your Burgess binoc's, which are interestingly enough, listed as the same 13mm ER as the Obies. I've used enough gear with my glasses to know that 13mm would not normally get anyone to the field stop... 17-18mm is more likely the true ER on yer Burgess bins.

That being said- turns out they're all out of the Apogee units :crazy:... sooo, i ended up back where i arrived the other day :foreheadslap:, and ordered therefrom the 20x80LW Obies! Free UPS. Yee-haw.

Now, if i was gonna write a review, s'pose i'd order another suspected Obie-variant & do a comparo... but i ain't, so i won't. ;) Pretty sure my limited experience & "knowledge" of the species would not get me very far. Besides, the user-info i've gleaned from y'all here on CN really spoke to my specific needs- like ER and hand-held usability. A prospective buyer could not ask for more! I will certainly post my impression of these LW Obies & the vendor when they arrive... hopefully the shipper will be invisible in said impression :dabomb:

Warmest regards to all,

#29 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:03 PM

Hi all-

My new 20x80 LW Obies arrived on schedule. Verrry nice! Very well packaged, with multiple layers of cushion! And the hard-case for the bino's was a pleasant surprise... plastic "kid-car-seat" top-flap fastener clip, velcroed opening front panel, interior cushion blankets & velcro-strap. Wow! Even if the bino's were mediocre, the case is a trip in itself! But "mediocre" they ain't! Easily hand-holdable, excellent eye-relief (which i was reeeelly hoping for!) which appears way more than the published 13mm's!- with the cups folded down i can get all the way to the fieldstop- comfortably, not mashing. I'd guess the actual ER is more like 18mm.

A quick daytime out-the-window peek shows sharp, color-free images to within 5-10% of the fieldstops... and as i said, are amazingly easy to hold for extended periods- gripping them more forward, toward the objectives as has been mentioned; While i'm no weakling, i'm certainly no Arnie, either! ;) Binoc's have certainly come a long way! I'll try and post some nightime impressions in a few...

My humble thanks to all- as usual, CN really comes thru on making gear-acquisition an informed & intelligent process :jump:
yours,
:cool: mike b

#30 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

Mike, I must be spoiled by all my mounts and IS binoculars because I would not even think of using my 20x60 Pentax for handheld use let alone a 20x80.

Joe

#31 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:51 PM

Undoubtedly these will be mounted, perhaps ~66% of the time, as a compliment to my SCT. But their grab 'n go utility is a definite plus!... i feel they'll give me the best of both worlds- higher power and portability, with mounting being merely optional! We'll see as they actually get used ;) over time...

My two main issues were eye-relief and "gorilla-mode" usability, and i'm reporting that both seem to be adequately met for me in these binocs! Hope this is helpfull for others considering the same issues :grin:

#32 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

Mike ,

It's always nice to hear about someone who is genuinely pleased and satisfied with the whole experience of an acquisition of a new binocular.

Enjoy !

Kenny

#33 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

Hi Kenny-
"... acquisition of a new binocular"? Spoken like a true bino-guy! Me-?... i'm excited by new brake-pads on my car- say nothing of new astro gear of any flavor! :roflmao:
Clear skies to ya-
Warmest regards from the colonies!
;)mike b

#34 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:48 PM

"... acquisition of a new binocular."

Kenny,

Don't you know that "binocular" is an adjective? You seem to have left off the noun. Or maybe you meant to say "... acquisition of some new binoculars".

Sorry Kenny, just had to get my digs in after your last chiding of me. :lol:

#35 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:14 PM

Bill-
I'm sorry... you must've swerved over here from the new "Editors Corner" forum moderated by Victor Kennedy... that's where we get spanked & quarantined for our hacking-to-pieces of the language. :roflmao: :lol:... that thread has gone where even Angels dare to tread!... left me in the dust sucking my toe...
;)mike b

#36 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:58 AM

"... acquisition of a new binocular."

< Kenny,

Don't you know that "binocular" is an adjective? >

Bill ,

Yes , I'm fully aware of the fact that the word "binocular" is often used adjectively and / or adjunctively , but according to the Oxford dictionary , it is indeed a NOUN , meaning , in case you did not know , a magnifying instrument with lenses designed for viewing distant objects with two eyes.

Thanks for your interest,

Kenny

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics