•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Question about an online retailer??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:29 PM

I am wanting to purchase a pair of Pentax DCF SP binoculars and am unable to find them at a local retailer so I have decided to purchase them online. I have looked at several online retailers and have found opticsspot.com. They seem to be the lowest price. Has anyone used them and if so what was their experience? I considered opticsplanet.com however, their return policy seems to be a little expensive. I would like to actually try a pair before purchase but since that isn't possible I am looking for a site that has a friendly return policy. Thanks in advance.

#2 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:45 PM

For low prices on the SP's try here .

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Joe Ogiga for the info on hot buys binoculars .com They seem to have a good price however if I return them they charge a 15% restocking fee. But that is the best price that I have seen. Have you dealt with them before?

#4 johnirvine

johnirvine

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

I'd be a little wary of hotbuys. Check out what these people have to say...

http://www.photo.net...d=2&by_date_p=f

You have to scroll down.

John

#5 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:10 PM

I'm with John on this, some of these places don't get return customers; check out: http://www.resellerr...seller1938.html

I bought my SPs earlier this year at 17th St. Photo and the service and price were excellent. Shipping ran about $10. more than "usual" but it still worked out at the final tally. Arrived here in NV in 4 days.
http://www.resellerr...seller1755.html

I got the 10x43s and I love 'em! See the mini review section.

Rich V

#6 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:40 AM

As your garden-variety retailer who will eventually be put out of business by America’s love for the oats that have already been through the horse, I would like to comment on three of the first four points mentioned about the binocular at the aforementioned website.

OF COURSE, IT IS JEALOUSY! But here goes:

>>>Hybrid aspherical lens element give edge to edge sharpness in any lighting condition<<<

What is a “hybred” aspherical lens? If anyone knows, please call the opto-geeks at U of A and Rochester and tell them. I’m sure their Ph.D.s would love to know. Oddly, I have never seen such a term in Kingslake or Smith or . . . Sorta’ Kinda like the “deluxe lenses” of 40 years ago; you know, lettuce and tomato added.

>>>Scratch resistant coating on exposed lens elements prevents damage caused by dirt or grit<<<

I would like everyone who believes this to turn in their driver’s license. Magnesium fluoride, at 570 on the Knoop Scale IS harder than BK7 glass (and I do mean BK7, and not BAK4), at 520. HOWEVER, I can state unequivocally that, at a thickness or .000004 of an inch (a quarter wave in de light), it is bloody well NOT going to protect your lenses.

In addition, it’s stuff like this “scratch resistant coating” verbiage that I have to look like a crook about everyday as I try to un-train my customers from the c-r-a-p they have in the magazine under their arm.

Finally,

>>>Extra-short minimum focus distance allows the smallest details to be seen on close in objects.<<<

Can anyone tell me WHY I need a binocular to look at CLOSE objects? I must say that being able to see the “smallest detail” with a hand-held binocular would be great—especially considering the cost of electron microscopes these days. [Of course, I know what they mean; but, why didn’t they say it?]

Yep, before long the professional opticians will have starved to death and the enlightened consumer will be left to the mercy of the professional . . . fork-lift operators, and tech writers who are neither techs nor writers.

But then, you can’t trust me, because I am too bloody jaded and self-serving.

Rant off. I’ll crawl back in hole now, and struggle for a while to develop an opinion on something.

Cheers,

Bill

PS The bino in question IS VERY GOOD. I just wish it had an ad to match.

#7 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:54 AM

I'd be a little wary of hotbuys. Check out what these people have to say...

http://www.photo.net...d=2&by_date_p=f

You have to scroll down.

John

That's one of my favorite web sites. Here's another, with photos of hotbuy's "store" (scroll down):

http://donwiss.com/p...BrooklynStores/

#8 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:07 AM

Hows that movie go Bill?

"I want the truth."

"You can't handle the truth."

Some people like processed oats!

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:34 AM

I appreciate everyones input. It seems that the most common price for these binoculars is $599 and the retailer that I refered to is only $467, quite a difference! Too good to be true? How do you know if you are getting grey market merchandise? I'm not opposed to paying more for the real thing. However, I hate to waste $100 if indeed they are the same thing.

#10 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:43 AM

Thanks Joe Ogiba for the info on hot buys binoculars .com They seem to have a good price however if I return them they charge a 15% restocking fee. But that is the best price that I have seen. Have you dealt with them before?

No I have not but I think this is their ebay store that has 97.8% positive feedback.

Joe

#11 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:08 AM

Can anyone tell me WHY I need a binocular to look at CLOSE objects?

Bill,

I had a blast yesterday around my house looking a bugs etc with my 6.5x Pentax Papilio's handheld from about 18" and seen two japanese beetles making out and the one on top had antlers like a reindeer. :grin:

Joe

#12 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:53 AM

Can anyone tell me WHY I need a binocular to look at CLOSE objects?

Bill,

I had a blast yesterday around my house looking a bugs etc with my 6.5x Pentax Papilio's handheld from about 18" and seen two japanese beetles making out and the one on top had antlers like a reindeer. :grin:

Joe

SNIP [Of course, I know what they mean; but, why didn’t they say it?]

Bill :jump:

#13 medinabrit

medinabrit

Viking 1

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

how come no adorama pics. iget a lot of equipment from them
brian

#14 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:17 PM

Bill-
Enjoyed tremendously your "ad text" for the above "retailer"... with all the hype, hoopla, & hogwash thrown around the marketplace, it's refreshing to see someone who can find the on-button for the bilge pumps! :bow: Really glad to have you onboard :ubetcha:
:cool:mike b

#15 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:44 PM

Last night, I posted a rather large a revealing post on the state of optical quality and mailorder modes of operation.

It is not on the list this morning. Was my post deleted?

Cheers,

Bill

#16 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:11 PM

not by me

edz

#17 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

"I can't lie" - "It was meeeeee" ;-)

#18 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

... guess we'll havta wait for the Readers Digest version?
:getem:

#19 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

I suppose it is all about which pill to take. The blue one or the red one.:question:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics