•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Torn...in two

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:40 PM

alrighty guys need some serious help here:

I have a chance to buy a Mewlon 250 for a good price!! BUT the best thing is that I can pay half now and half in 1 year!! :) Now, the guy that is going to sell me the Mewlon is very trustable and awesome, known him for quite some time now...

Problem is: I pay half now, (2500) and then I will still need to buy an autoguider, some accessories and all sort of $$$ stuff.

Would you buy it? Consider it is a 3000mm FL and it will be my first scope for imaging, but, just thinking about the great opportunity this person gave me, I'm torn!!! Don`t want to let it pass by.... no?

#2 hudder

hudder

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:10 PM

Hey, if you really want to buy it, and you have the funds, I would buy it. If not, you would probably regret it. Maybe some of the $$$ accessories would have to wait? I figure if there is no pressing reason NOT to buy, then your decision is made, as it sounds like it already is.

Mike

#3 Psa19one

Psa19one

Apollo

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:44 PM

2500 now and 2500 in a year? Well, you never know what might happen in a year (you might run into major financial troubles). But I'm not trying to be a downer...just realistic. I would also be sure to fully insure it for all liability. It would really stink if something catastrophic happened to it before you paid it off. Incidentally, this fella must really trust you too to let you take a year to pay off a 'scope you're already using. But then, that's assuming you will have the 'scope before you pay it off...is that right?

If you have the means and you're not afraid of using a half-paid-off 'scope, then pick off your accessories as you can but grab the deal on the mewlon while you can. :)

#4 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:02 PM

hmmm alrighty...points taken....

thanks..

anyone else on the matter?

#5 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:25 PM

Huh? It's a Mewlon 250! What's to wonder...I'd be willing to take it off your hands for $3,000, so there's a guarantee (of sorts). :rainbow:

#6 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:31 PM

hmmm ya but I'm paying $5000 for it ;D In 1 year yes.....

I'm dying here! Can't decide!

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:00 AM

"and then I will still need to buy an autoguider, some accessories and all sort of $$$ stuff."

Don't underestimate the accesories part, there is always something extra you will need that comes up with time in order to get the most of the scope. If the scope itself just barely fits in your budget, I'd say get a less expensive model with room left over for things you'll need.

This is a great scope, but other scopes will also perform well too. Be careful of getting too caught up in the Mewlon hype.

#8 Magician

Magician

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:10 AM

Hi Emanuele,

I've heard great things about these scopes, and was even thining of getting one myself some time in the future! I'd be a bit wary though of buying something by paying half now and half later for some of the reasons people have already mentioned. But on the other hand, money always comes (and goes!). If you could buy it in one go, even if you have to live frugally for a while (!), I'd say go for it. But otherwise, take a few days to think about it and then decide. There are plenty of other scopes and another bargain will surely come.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:53 AM

hmmm alrighty...points taken....anyone else on the matter?

I see where the Mewlon 250 sells mail-order for a little over $6,000... for just the OTA. Are you getting a mount with it?

If your finances can stand the initial purchase, and you finish/recover in a year... well, a good scope lasts a LONG time.

If it will give you what you are looking for, you can pick up th accessories as you have the ability. I bought my 11" sct without many accessories, and added them a few at a time. It worked for me.

- Roger :cool:

#10 Psa19one

Psa19one

Apollo

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:19 AM

Perhaps it would help to pay the initial "down payment" and then make monthly installments to your friend of about $200 to $210 for the next year (or is this what you were going to do?) It's always better to pay on something like this a regularly as you can -- while also paying extra whenever you can -- so you don't end up paying out this huge chunk at the end of the year...when, who knows, something may happen where you don't have it. Pay it down as fast as you can. Budget, budget, budget! ;)

#11 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:21 AM

Emanuele,

In the short term, this Mewlon will be great for planetary imaging - think Mars! This (Mars) was part of the reason I went and sprung for my M210 recently.

Longer term, a M250 will be a "very demanding mistress" (someone in another group describes his M300 that way) when it comes to long-exposure DSO CCD imaging, and I would not recommend it as a starter scope for that purpose.

Given that, you could get this as a knock-your-socks off solar-system imager in the short term while you cut your teeth on DSO imaging with your Megrez. This could potentially relieve the immediacy of your need for an autoguider and other such doo-dads (BTW, used ST-5's and ST-237's are available reasonably cheap these days, and would work as wonderful autoguiders as well as decent starter imagers!).

Bottom line, one approach would be to take advantage of the offer and get the M250 plus a Toucam or other planetary imager now. Use that for SS gazing and imaging. Learn DSO imaging using the Megrez. Once you're comfortable with wide-field and want to go higher-res, start playing with the Mewlon in that respect (it took me about a year to get comfortable and want to go longer-fl imaging).

Financially speaking, only you can answer that question in the end. I'm very conservative about my finances (otherwise I'd have a 16" RCOS on a Paramount and an STL-11000 right now ;) ), so I know what I'd probably do.....

HTH,
Eric

#12 Psa19one

Psa19one

Apollo

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:22 AM

...and yes, while assessories are great (and necessary in some cases like when you're wanting to do AP), you can live without them for awhile. You can still use and enjoy it for visual uses while you work out a level-headed plan for collecting the accessories you want. At least you'll have the biggest part of it: the Mewlon itself! :)

#13 Psa19one

Psa19one

Apollo

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:24 AM

Yeah, I was wondering why you weren't using your Megrez for imaging too... Great 'scope for lunar and planetary, and even DSOs to some extent. What kind of CCD do you have?

#14 Dean

Dean

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:05 AM

I'll second what Eric said. Not only is imaging at 3000mm very difficult, you'll also need pretty good seeing conditions wheras with your Megrez the only seeing conditions you'll care about is that there aren't any clouds.

FWIW - I have a Megrez SD as well - here's a couple of wide field DSO images I've taken with it.
Markarian's Chain
Leo Triplet

#15 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

Thanks so much guy for all the inputs. :)

I know that it will be very difficult to start imaging with that scope, as I don`t even have a CCD, just a 300D...

I could use an AP focal reducer to bring down the FL. Or even a Celestron 0.33X Focal Reducer...for 1000mm of FL.

I was thinking of buying the STF Mirage 7" which is $2400 new , when this offer came up and for $100 more....it is a steal! I'm just wondering if the seeing conditions will not be that good (Miami) and will not get used that much.

Plus, why aren`t Mewlons so common around imagers? There's never much talk about this scopes....

Anyone know? Oh and you never never see one for sale used...

Emanuele

PS: I will probably use it a lot more for Visual at the beginning...
PPS: Will use my G-11 as far as the mount!
PPPS: Would you instead buy an APO refractor? But then what about aperture fever? :grin:

#16 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:40 AM

I'm just wondering if the seeing conditions will not be that good (Miami) and will not get used that much.

Miami!?!? It seems that a lot of *EXCELLENT* planetary images are being shot around Florida (I don't know about Miami specifically, though).

Plus, why aren`t Mewlons so common around imagers? There's never much talk about this scopes....

Have you seen Suk Lee's M250 images? As to why there are so few, maybe it's a well-kept secret :confused: I hope to add to the database in the near future, one way or the other.

Oh and you never never see one for sale used...

I bought my M210 used off of Astromart, and the seller sold it because he upgrade to an M250, off of Astromart as well. You just need to prowl it everyday ;)

Would you instead buy an APO refractor? But then what about aperture fever?

Did that, got aperture (and focal-length!) fever, got a C8, moved on to the M210, perhaps a 250 down the road......

Welcome to the madness!!! :evillaugh:

Eric

#17 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:19 PM

okay okay...it seems that all the reads are leading to the M250, eh?

Meh, I knew it that it would come down to this!

:(

;)

#18 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:48 PM

well guys...I spent the last three hours laying on my bed thinking about what I should do and I "think" I reached a conclusion....

I believe it is better to get something cheaper for now...cheaper overall. I can swing the $2500, but with the other $2500 due in year, I could get an STV autoguider, used, plus some more accessories.....

How about an STF Mirage 7"? I know there 's no competition beetween the two scopes, and I know that I will regret it.... :( sigh

#19 Psa19one

Psa19one

Apollo

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:56 PM

Probably a wise decision. Would that more amateur astronomy nuts take the time and willingness to think so dilligently and even receive counsel about major financial decisions, there would be fewer divorces! (And probably fewer bankruptcies!) ;)

Emanuele, I think you've made a decision you won't regret. :)

#20 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:02 PM

Thanks Kevin....

I need some support right now :help:

#21 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:53 PM

Emanuele,

Good call! As I hinted earlier, I do prowl Astromart quite a bit, and every now and then a tempting item comes up. I think about it, decide against it, watch it go away...

... and then an even better deal for a similar (or identical!) item shows up later.

Another deal like this will come again in its time.

I know how you feel, BTW. I turned down an offer for an AP130 EDFS a few months ago :foreheadslap:

I don't know how capable the Mirage is (or Maksutov's in general - I have not had much experience with them at all), but Mewlon 180's and 210's come up on Astromart for $2500 or less pretty often. Ya just gotta prowl... :watching:

Ya know, for $2500, you could get a brand-new SBIG ST-402ME and a low-end laptop with room to spare ... something else to think about, too :evillaugh:

Ok, the equipment hog in me is overcoming the financial prude in me As I mentioned earlier, I firmly believe that you will find yourself a better deal in the future, and be even more financially capable of jumping in on that deal at the time.

Good luck!
Eric

#22 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:08 PM

Eric....thanks so much!

You are right, great deals come and go every time in Astromart...just need to stay focused on the money :grin:
hmmm already have the laptops....just need a CCD and autoguider.... :) ohh and an Ha filter, would love to begin imaging with that for now...

Thanks once more

#23 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:19 AM

I'd say get an adaptor for using the 300D with the Megrez SD, DSLR Focus, and a cable for the laptop

DSLR Focus has a facility to focus different colors individually in the event you find aberration too objectionable.

With the 300D, some awesome photos can be made.

You'll find Introduction to Digital Astronomy a very useful book, as is The New CCD Astronomy. The latter is especially useful in helping match a scope to a CCD camera, or vice versa.

When you've decided on the type of imaging you prefer, you can tailor your scope and CCD purchase to fit - and you'll be much ahead with a scope and CCD chosen to mate well with each other.

#24 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

Don't underestimate the accesories part, there is always something extra you will need that comes up with time in order to get the most of the scope. If the scope itself just barely fits in your budget, I'd say get a less expensive model with room left over for things you'll need.

Thats good advice

#25 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:55 PM

:) I'm in the waiting game for a Mewlon 210 :jump:

guess you guys were right....a great right of the bat!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics