•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

An introduction, a thanks and a question.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:35 AM

Hello all,
I just want to thank all of the people who have contributed to the board and thank those that have put so much hard work into the binocular reviews that I've spent the last few days pouring over. I've read through quite a few of the threads and all of the reviews trying to glean an insight into what type of binoculars would best suit my needs. I arrived here thinking that I was gonna get a Celestron Skymaster 25 x 100. Today, I ordered an Oberwerk 15 x 70 based on all the information and reviews that users have posted. Thanks, 'cause I think you all kept me from making a big mistake! I'm pretty sure that the 15 x 70s will be far better suited to my needs.

Anyway, on to my question. I intend to be using these on boat-camping trips in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The thought of a lugging a tripod around in a kayak doesn't appeal to me. I have seen little discussion here about monopods. For a 15 x 70 is a monopod a viable alternative? The window squeegee approach fascinates me, though, any thoughts on alternate mounting methods would be welcomed :)

You folks have a nice place here. Thanks,
Eric

#2 edcannon

edcannon

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2004 - 03:59 AM

> I ordered an Oberwerk 15 x 70 ....
> I intend to be using these on boat-camping trips ....

You will need to have a truly waterproof carrying case,
because I'm pretty sure that the Oberwerk 15x70 are not
waterproof.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexas.edu - Austin, Texas, USA

#3 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 08 January 2004 - 06:31 AM

Maybe you could get a vaporlock bag.

Monopods work great for personal use, much more stable than simply handheld. However if you try to show someone else what you are looking at, a monopod is not the right tool.

edz

#4 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 08 January 2004 - 12:15 PM

They make all manner of waterproof bags, especially for kayaking. I would think a decent sized tripod would fold up nicely and store easily in your kayak well, assuming you have a flat-water kayak and not a short, white-water one.

Why did you decide not to get a waterproof binoc?

#5 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 08 January 2004 - 02:10 PM

Eric , I can't help thinking you should forget the Oberwerks and send them back -- even the Oberwerk waterproof 10 x 50s would be a FAR better choice for your particular needs.

If you ordered then from him ,I'm sure Kevin B at Big Binoculars would agree with me and exchange them no problem.

If however you are SET on 15x binos -- you'd be far better off with waterproof ones.

Regards - Kenny.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. They do raise one serious question for me, though: How does everyone use their boats? I must be doing it wrong.:grin:

Seriously, though, the fact that these are not waterproof was a total oversight on my part. Waterproof started out at the top of my list of features, but by the time I started trying to sort out eye relief and exit pupil sizes and all the other specs, waterproof had totaly slipped my mind. My main goal is to get deeper into the stars than I can get with my 10x50s without denting my wallet too badly.

Not to ignore your concerns though, I did call BigBinoculars, and they assured me that although the Oberwerks 15x70s weren't waterproof, they were water-resistant enough to stand a rainstorm or two. Maybe I should have clarified that these were for astronomy, not for use on the lakes. I have a pair of waterproof 10x50s that I use on the water. So a waterproof bag should be fine while transporting to the camp site.

>>EdZ: Maybe you could get a vaporlock bag.
:lol:

>>Tom L: I would think a decent sized tripod would fold up nicely and store easily in your kayak well.

Tom, I think you're probably right. I did go ahead and order a monopod, though. I do alot of camera and video work that would greatly benefit from a monopod so I can now experiment with both and maybe assign the tripod to the binocs.

Now back to this boat thing, when you put them in the water which side goes up (I think this may be where I'm making my mistake)...

Thanks for your thoughts, water had completely slipped my mind. I think I'm gonna save up my money and get a waterproof Pelican box, or something like that, to use as their storage case. That will do double duty for both shock and water protection.

Thanks again,
Eric

#7 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:52 PM

I normally use mine right side up. The pacific ocean is cold. Hope the monopod works well for you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics