•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any more Info on your Helmsman glasses Mr Cook?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:28 AM

Mr Cook.
Can you give us any more Information on these glasses?
It would be nice to know who actualy made them and, are they available in any other sizes? etc etc.
You said they are a GREAT binocular for the money,how much would they retail for?
Im sure most people who read the binocular boards would like to know if they are available in a 10x or 12x.
You have made Kenny very happy which is great for me as I don"t get so much stick off him.
Steve.

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

I would agree we would all like to know more, however,, to protect the innocent, this would be considered a product announcement and I suspect to keep it within the TOS, Bill could post a whole product description and follow-up over in the Vendor Announcments Forum.

edz

#3 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:23 AM

Im sure Edz and Fiske would make the ideal people to send a pair to for Astronomy testing.
Steve.

#4 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:32 PM

Mr Cook.
Can you give us any more Information on these glasses?
It would be nice to know who actualy made them and, are they available in any other sizes? etc etc.
You said they are a GREAT binocular for the money,how much would they retail for?
Im sure most people who read the binocular boards would like to know if they are available in a 10x or 12x.
You have made Kenny very happy which is great for me as I don"t get so much stick off him.
Steve.

First, "Mr. Cook" was my father; I'm just Bill.

Secondly, I am going to try to put info on the vendor site as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Bill

#5 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:52 PM

Im sure Edz and Fiske would make the ideal people to send a pair to for Astronomy testing.
Steve.

I respect both of these men. However, the LIST needs to come up with a candidate they think will be fair to brutal. Then when any Three well-known LIST members submits that name to me, I will wend him or her the bino.

I held one until this morning. However, since no one contacted me by today (Friday) as stated, I let it go to a customer.

I just sent a check to the manufacturer a week ago to put them in the shipping mode, so I should have a fresh shipment in about three weeks. So, you guys come up with a name and I'll come up with the bino. Remember, we're not looking for a popularity contest winner. We're looking for someone who will offer a critical review on a new bino on the market.

Cheers,

Bill

#6 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:17 AM

Mr Cook { I didn"t know your father}
Edz and Fiske are very brutal.
Steve.
P.S. Let us know when you post in the Vendors section.

#7 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:45 AM

This conversation should be conducted privately, not in the forums..

edz

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:00 AM

Mr Cook { I didn"t know your father}
Edz and Fiske are very brutal.
Steve.
P.S. Let us know when you post in the Vendors section.

Steve, I read your post out of context (just woke up) and it seemed incredibly funny :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'll pm bill on my vote.

cheers all

#9 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:22 AM

Im still going to call him Mr Cook.
Steve.

#10 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:08 PM

>>>This conversation should be conducted privately, not in the forums..<<<

Bull . . .
Especially, since you just won "bino jerk of the month" and get the free Helmsman.

With all due respect, the runner up was (drum roll please) . . . Fiske.

The people have spoken and have found you both to be honest and hard-nosed observers. You got 5 votes and Fiske got 3.

So, the day after my next shipment comes in--and that better be soon, I'm giving rainchecks with a discount--I will send the bino.

Initially, I was concerning about sending one to the list moderator for fear some a-type personality would claim impropriety. However, I left it to the people, and the people spoke.

My mind was put to rest when I realized that you would HAVE to be fair, ‘cause if you were not, YOU would be taken to task by the next purchaser.

I would like to reiterate that while I am in the business partly to sell binos, pumping them on this list was not the plan. Some months ago, Kenny did me a great emotional service on a day when I was certainly in need of a great emotional service, and I had considered ways to repay his kindness. The following day, while pricing a stack of Helmsmans, I thought, I’ll bet Kenny would like one of these. The token of giving him an inexpensive bino was far short of his service to me, but I am not a rich man (If I were my Strat Plus wouldn’t be in a pawn shop this morning), and it was about the best I could do.

Then Kenny, ran off at the keyboard, and it looked like I had paid him for an endorsement (I really liked that “perfect porthole” comment). And the rest, as the say, is history.

And to all a good night.

Bill

#11 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:33 PM

Just out of curiosity, how many votes did Steve Napier receive? And does the "Bino Jerk of the Month" earn special privileges or what? There are so many questions left unanswered... :p

#12 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:18 PM

Some things are just best left unanswered.

edz

#13 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:30 PM

Some things are just best left unanswered.

edz

I guess you're right!

#14 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

Post deleted by billcook

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:32 PM

Bill;

What year did you graduate from the Bernard Getz school of diplomacy?

Appreciate someone who speaks his mind and everyone knows where he stands.

JDonley

#16 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:51 AM

For what it's worth, Bill, it has never occured to me that ANY of your posts on this forum were in any way commercially intended. You have always shared your unique knowledge of both the optical and the retail side of binoculars and I always read your posts with interest.

As for the larger problem you lament: I fear that there is really nothing in the world of commerce that is not suffering the effects of a global-scale market. Even paying top dollar is no guarantee any more, with cars like Mercedes Benz and BMW having some of the worst reliability ratings that Consumer Reports can give. Our computers are built to be obsolete within two years. Mansions in California sell for millions and are built like pre-fab modulars. It goes on and on, doesn't it?

#17 Silvio

Silvio

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:24 AM

Bill,
It is an honor to have someone with your wealth of experience on this forum.

I'd like to check out your retail web site - what is the URL?

Many thanks,
Silvio.

#18 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:07 PM

People keep talking about how great telescopes are getting cheaper and cheaper. Well, I wonder how many of those cutting edge consumers know that a good many Newtonian telescopes out there do not have mirrors figured as paraboloids. Instead the manufacturer built up coatings on the edge of the optic to form an artificial paraboloid.

Bill, I know you often feel you can't name names because of your privileged position in the industry. However, unless you can back this statement up, I think it is spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). I have never heard this rumor and I personally think it would be very hard to control the deposition process well enough to yield a decent paraboloid.

Please name the "good many" manufactures that are doing this. If they are, then this is deceptive advertising and they should be reported or they should be "outed" on the internet.

#19 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:19 PM

Please name the "good many" manufactures that are doing this. If they are, then this is deceptive advertising and they should be reported or they should be "outed" on the internet.

If so, please do it in another thread, on the reflectors forum, or preferably in the vendor feedback forum.

edz

#20 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:49 PM

Bill, I know you often feel you can't name names because of your privileged position in the industry. However, unless you can back this statement up, I think it is spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). I have never heard this rumor and I personally think it would be very hard to control the deposition process well enough to yield a decent paraboloid.

Sorry, but having spent ten years fighting an uphill and costly battle trying to do a good thing for the ATM community with ATMJ, has taught me not to spend a lot of time going through drills that could cost more time and money.

My comment was based on conversations with a rather large importer of optical / astronomical goods, who has since gone through chapter 11. And yes, there was some inference. If telescope “A” has a spherical mirror and telescope “B” is the same basic model, but with different cosmetics, it is logical to assume that telescope “B” has a spherical mirror, too.

But you are right. I apologize. I will delete my post immediately. After all, what you don’t know can’t hurt you. In addition, I will try to curb my zeal for helping folks. Ultimately, I will wind up with everyone angry with me.

Again, I apologize.

Cheers,

Bill

#21 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

Not me,we NEED more like you Mr Cook.
Steve

#22 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:02 PM

When I first joined these boards I was absolutely slated for having the nerve to suggest that people should strive to buy the best quality instruments they can afford as it would work out cheaper in the long run and, be more rewarding.
Keep on posting your findings Mr Cook,you are top notch!
Steve.

#23 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:21 PM

Hear, hear!

#24 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:36 PM

Ignoring for the moment the few sidetracks this thread has taken, there is a far more important issue here that needs to be addressed. Without malice to the parties involved this is my response. I am locking the thread because I feel that any further discussion may lead to degenerate.

Regardless of how you might read intentions here, this thread has put me in an uncomfortable position. So let me explain.

Early on in this discussion it seemed to me this might not go in a direction in which I could remain totally comfortable. Bill, 99% of the time you wear a participant’s hat, but sometimes you need to toe a fine line. It makes life more difficult for you here, in that you need to be aware of the terms of vendor participation. You cannot leave yourself open to question by the forum population.

It seemed harmless enough to ask for votes on impartial reviewers, but this is probably in violation of the terms of service of this site. Now that might not be so readily apparent, but let me explain. A vendor needs product exposure. He can't personally post a review, that's pushing product. So out goes the solicitation for an impartial reviewer. A choice is made and along comes an offer for equipment in hand.

The terms of service, although maybe not spelling it out specifically, could easily be interpreted to say, hey, you shouldn't do that. You might argue against that by saying the equipment could just as easily been offered up to CN for review and the same results could have been achieved. One difference is, equipment offered to CN for review is not offered free to individuals.

I have no doubt that I could do an impartial review, but I could never guarantee that forum readers would consider the situation an impartial one. The only thing that might be redeeming here is you have no idea what type of review would come out of it and it may not be great exposure. But the circumstances leave me feeling the potential to be left open to question, and that is not a situation I want to be in.

First and foremost, every product review on this site needs to be an unbiased opinion, with not even a hint of lacking impartiality. The ramifications of anything other than that would have dire implications.

Unfortunately, the upshot of this is I feel this was the wrong way to find someone to review a binocular. As much as I think it would be nice to have these binoculars in my hands, I cannot entertain a request to review this product under these terms. You may differ in opinion with me. Whether or not someone should be allowed to select a product that is to be reviewed or requested to review a product, in my opinion, it should not take place in a public forum.

This issue has come up with regard to other vendors, other products and other areas of the forums. We are no different. We’ve got to all play by the same set of rules. In the future, please refrain from using the public forums to conduct a poll searching for a product reviewer. It will be considered a breach of vendor terms of service.

Respectfully,

edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics