•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

questions about Adorama?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

I posted earlier about the online retailers. Someone mentioned adorama and I found them to be very reasonable. I fact they are about $120 cheaper than opticsplanet. These are Pentax DCF SP 8x43. Can I expect top quality merchandise from adorama? or is it reconditioned or grey market? (not sure exactly what grey market is) I emailed them w/ these questions but have had no response yet. Can anyone enlighten me on their experiences w/ adorama? quality of products? I hate to keep bothering with these questions but This is my 1st pair of binos and alot of $$for me. Thanks

#2 JGlover

JGlover

Viking 1

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:43 PM

I posted earlier about the online retailers. Someone mentioned adorama and I found them to be very reasonable. I fact they are about $120 cheaper than opticsplanet. These are Pentax DCF SP 8x43. Can I expect top quality merchandise from adorama? or is it reconditioned or grey market? (not sure exactly what grey market is) I emailed them w/ these questions but have had no response yet. Can anyone enlighten me on their experiences w/ adorama? quality of products? I hate to keep bothering with these questions but This is my 1st pair of binos and alot of $$for me. Thanks

I've purchased from Adorama on several occasions, both astro gear as well as photo gear. Adorama along with B&H Photo are considered the two best online retailers in NYC by most people. i've never had any issues with them, but keep in mind they are a bit short and terse if you call them on the phone....but that is typical of all New York camera stores.

#3 Bandoblue

Bandoblue

Mariner 2

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:44 PM

All astro gear and photography gear I have ordered from Adorama arrived promptly and in excellent condition.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:46 PM

Hi fireman-
Think i might had received an EP a long time ago from them... but otherwise couldn't tell ya much. You might look at this site here to see what users/customers have input on various vendors...

#5 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:40 PM

All astro gear and photography gear I have ordered from Adorama arrived promptly and in excellent condition.

Same here

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:30 PM

I ordered my 25x100mm binocs from Adorama and I agree with the consensus. My binocs arrived on time and in good shape. I've never had an issue.

Good luck!

MikeG

#7 Erik D

Erik D

Skylab

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:50 PM

The management and staff of Adorama observe the Sabbath starting Friday afternoon. They are closed on Saturday and open on Sunday. If you emailed them on Friday afternoon you may not receive a response till Monday.

Adorama is an authorized reseller of Pentax gear with full USA warranty. They also carry Sworovski binos but I don't think those are coverd by USA warranty. Adorama is up front about which product they carry is "grey market". I've heard that Mike People, formerly of High Point Scientific, NJ joined the Astro dept of Adorama last year. Mike is very knowledgeable about optics. You may want to ask for him if you call.

I have made about 1/2 dozen purchase from Adorama during the past 3 years. Tripods, binos, and accessories. Shipping is prompt with tracking info emailed the same day. Price is very competitive and shipping rates very reasonable.

Eagle Optics is also a good source for binos. Also consider the EO Platinum Ranger if you are looking for very good quality Roof Prism Waterproof binos with phase coating for unider $1000. I'd consider 10X42 model as well if you can handle higher power.

Erik D

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:44 PM

Ditto! I add that I bought from them with an international C/C and their staff was very kind and answered all my e-mails very promptly. My "courier" with the binos will arrive in less than a week now!

#9 medinabrit

medinabrit

Viking 1

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

i have purchased at least a dozen binos & scopes from adorama with no problems at all . i recommend them.
brian
ps fair prices too

#10 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:41 AM

They're good people. IMHO, their shipping is a tad bit slow, but I have a compressed time sense.

#11 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:10 AM

Some of their products may be "grey market", which means they were meant to be sold only outside the United States. This means that, based on the Serial #, the manufacturer will not give you warranty service when they see you have a USA address.

The approach is to ask them up front if the binos have a USA warranty. If it is grey market, they will usually tell you that they cover all their products themselves, and if you have any problems during the warranty period, they will repair/replace your binos.

Only my Canon IS binos are grey market, saving me at that time, $400.

I neither recommend nor put down the purchase of grey market. My feelings are that they will indeed backup any product they sell. However, with my particular purchase, I never had any problems with my binos.

AJ

#12 Greg Elspas

Greg Elspas

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:18 AM

I have always had great service from Adorama.

#13 mnpd

mnpd

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

I don't specifically know about Adorama, but I gave up on New York camera stores many years ago. I spent a lot of years in the photography business and the New York crowd caused me nothing but problems by deliberately shipping misrepresented and even broken junk. And when trying to sort things out with them, "short" and "terse" didn't describe the experience. The words "crooked" and "greedy" did.

Ok, so I'm a bid jaded, and I'm sure others have had great experiences with this breed of people. But in my book cameras and New York don't mix.

#14 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:10 PM

Adorama may be a bit different. I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I returned several items because I decided they were not what I wanted. They took them back with no questions asked. When there was a billing error they corrected it reasonably promptly.

#15 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:30 AM

I just want to remind folks here of the TOS for this site.

"Cloudynights is not an open air forum for vendor complaints. If you seek resolution, we recommend you talk to the vendor. If you seek an audience, we recommend you go elsewhere. "

This thread's been going pretty well, up 'til now. I just deleted a post that including name calling and vendor bashing as it's central theme. Neither of those is appropriate for this site.

Mike Swaim -- one of the forum moderators

#16 cyimri

cyimri

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:14 AM

I bought my Canon IS's from Adorama via Amazon. I got the guarantee from Amazon for the overall purchase and Adorama came through as well. No problems. It was a good purchase experience.

Cyimri

#17 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:14 AM

I have used Adorama many times to buy items ranging from EPs, tripod/heads, to optical cleaning kits. They have always been excellent for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics