•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What would you do?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 nreid

nreid

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:56 AM

Ok, I have enough money to get a APT wedge for my 11 GPS, however I am starting to have second thoughts. I can get the wedge or I can get an additional 22 pan for binoviewing plus a 31 pan for scanning the skies. Or several pair of nice eyepieces to do more binoviewing. These are in such different directions I am stuck in the middle and need a push. I just started taking some shots with my rebel xt this month and find that it is really fun so I think the wedge would make it even more so. But I really need some eyepieces since I only have a pair of 13 KK widescans, 22 pan, 20mm Swan, and a orion 17mm stratus that is coming in next week. I tend to lean towards the wedge but what would you do?

#2 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:11 AM

Ok, I have enough money to get a APT wedge for my 11 GPS, however I am starting to have second thoughts. I can get the wedge or I can get an additional 22 pan for binoviewing plus a 31 pan for scanning the skies. Or several pair of nice eyepieces to do more binoviewing. These are in such different directions I am stuck in the middle and need a push. I just started taking some shots with my rebel xt this month and find that it is really fun so I think the wedge would make it even more so. But I really need some eyepieces since I only have a pair of 13 KK widescans, 22 pan, 20mm Swan, and a orion 17mm stratus that is coming in next week. I tend to lean towards the wedge but what would you do?

Go for the EPs! Wedge can come later!

#3 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:53 AM

eyepieces, but then again I moderate eyepieces :lol:

#4 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

Yep, I'd do the EP's too.

Kerry

#5 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:24 PM

really depends on what do you want to do visual or photo ...either will be usless for the other...

if your content with bino viewing and want to search the skies with the 31 i would get the eyepieces...

if you want to get color images of what your looking at ..i would get the wedge...but then you will be jumping into a whole new world to learn, and spend money on...

do you have a digital or 35 mm camera t rings or camera adapter...ccd imager , laptop, etc...
you can do a lot with a simple setup like a cannon a series, and a maxview adapter...but if you dont have those you will need more then just a wedge.

since you dhave an 11 you can't skimp on a wedge much either...and i am not sure what wedge options celestron has.. if you had an 8 I would say get a standard type wedge ...used and one eyepiece...that way you can sell the wedge and move up as your skill moves up...and since it is used you dont take a big hit on your wallet.

#6 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:43 PM

I have the APT wedge, and it's well worth the money - but only if you're serious about imaging. If you're just getting started, or only occasionally take photos, you'll still be able to capture many, many objects using short exposures without the need for a wedge.

As southmike mentioned, the Celestron wedge is marginal for the 8 and inadequate for the 11.

I agree with the get-the-EPs-first suggestions.

#7 nreid

nreid

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

I have been taking dslr photos since I got my t-ring and adapter. The problem kicks in when I try long exposure, that is where the wedge is needed. I like both visual and I really starting to like photo. In the end I quess it is going to boil down to what I want to do the most.

#8 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:21 PM

I don't own an SCT but I vote for the wedge.
You can get by visually with the EP's that you currently own, but you may be crippled for long exposure photography until you get the wedge.

#9 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:47 PM

I agree with Scott - if imaging has begun to strike your fancy, a wedge is necessary. APT, Mittler, and Milburn are all fine pieces (although some of the latter were designed for a fairly narrow latitude range - about 10 degrees - and had to be ordered to match one's location).

Put an ad on AstroMart or CN and see what shows up - there may be people with premium wedges that are no longer used.

#10 CigTech

CigTech

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:36 AM

Scott is right. If you get the DSI then you don't need Eyepieces to do astrophoto's. But you will need the wedge.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics