•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Celestron Skymaster 25x100 - question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:13 AM

Dear friends from cloudynights,

I have purchased a Celestron Skymaster 25x100 last monday. However, the first one was delivered damaged (the lens were broken), the replacement was delivered today but it is completely out of collimation. The cell phone tower close to my apartment is double. So I am sending this one back monday morning. I don´t know but I suspect that the third one will be out of collimation too.

I am sending this message because I have a question for you guys. This bino goes out of collimation easily? If the answer is yes, I would like to know the collimation procedures and will try align it by myself. Or should I send it to the dealer asking for my money back?

Thank you very much,

Carlos Augusto
Belo Horizonte - Brazil

4.5"/F7.9 Newtonian
7.1"/F9.2 Newtonian
Tasco 10x50 binoculars

#2 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:37 AM

With the exception of the big Nikons and Fujinons, it is easier to say which instruments will come out of collimation than those that will arrive in collimation.

And as you follow the bino lists you will read hundreds of post showing how people just love cheap binos. And mailorder dealers just love people who just love cheap binos.

Of course, we have the power tp make it all go away. But, as long as our judgements are based on cost andnot quality, we will all continue to lose.

Cheers,

Bill

P.S. I like the bino, myself. But then, I'm not going to charge me $120 for a collimation job.

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

I've owned the 25x100mm Skymasters for about 4 months now and they have taken a few minor knocks and bumps. They arrived collimated from the dealer in New York and they have stayed collimated. Once I banged them on the doorway of the kitchen door, coming in from a night of stargazing. I had them in one hand, my tripod in the other and I was walking through the door when - BANG. I hit the dewshield on the wooden part of the doorframe, about waist high. I feared the worst. But after a routine check, everything's fine. No harm done. So maybe I have just been lucky?

How far away from you is the dealer you are ordering from? A long trip that involves many stops and transfers is like gambling. Maybe someone will drop your package on the cement, maybe not. Let us know what happens and good luck to you.

MikeG

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:10 AM

Bill, I don´t have 6,000.00 to buy a 150mm Fujinon and believe me that they are much more expensive than this for us brazilians (too many taxes here). So, please Bill, do not judge me, ok? It sounds you know me.

But, back to the thread Mike, the dealer is not close. It is around 300 miles from here. I will ask the clerk to check the collimation this time. I will try one more time :-(

Thanks Mike.

Carlos Augusto
Belo Horizonte - Brazil

#5 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:24 AM

I had a pair of celestron 25x100 for a few months. They were very slightly off when I got them. They remained the same all the while I had them. I never adjusted them during that time.

edz

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:15 PM

Hi Edz,

I bought this binocular based on your review. However, I am not having any luck with my unit. Let´s see what happens my friend.

BTW, I like this comment "Teach a kid something today. The feeling you'll get is one of life's greatest rewards." ;-)

Regards,

Carlos Augusto
Belo Horizonte - Brazil

#7 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:19 PM

I do hope you get some better luck.

My comment is my advice to all. The reward is worth it.

edz

#8 CESDewar

CESDewar

GorillAstronomer

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:50 AM

It's tough to get optical instruments shipped and have them arrive in perfect collimation. There is a reason why companies like Coronado insist on 2-day air shipping in order for the warranty to be valid. I had a pair of Oberwerk 25x100mm IF binoculars shipped by ground and they were way out of collimation when I got them (although it did not take that long to correct it). But for my 80mm Fluorite APO, I chose 2-day air and it arrived in near perfect collimation, so from now on I intend to ship by air for any optical equipment of value, especially since I once saw a UPS parcel being kicked out of the back of a plane some 14' onto the ground (if that was a scope, it must have needed a LOT of collimation :lol:).

#9 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:43 AM

When the UPS man arrived with my 100mm binocs, he exited the truck and carelessly hoisted the box up onto his shoulders. He was a big, muscle-bound guy, and I could just picture him doing curls and dead-lifts with my binocs. I cringed. Luckily, they were OK.

MIkeG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics