•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 8" LX200GPS Observing Report - 7/3/2005

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeffk1965

jeffk1965

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:55 PM

Hi Group,

Here is my observing report from South Florida using my Meade 8" LX200GPS.

I was out in my front yard tonight with my Meade 8" LX200GPS. I observed for about 2-hours (from 10:00PM to Midnight). The seeing was a good around a 7, and the transparency was also good. I started off with Jupiter which was starting to get somewhat low in the western sky. I could see about 4-bands and some detail in the Equatorial Bands. I was surprised at the amount of detail I was able to see as Jupiter was kind of low in the sky. Next, I split Antares. I could just make out the split at 222x (9mm Meade Series 5000 Plossl) and the split was very nice at 426x (Meade Series 5000 4.7mm Ultra Wide Angle). I also split the Double-Double and Albireo. The Double-Double was cleanly split at 71x (Meade Series 5000 28mm Super Wide Angle). I did not have any lower focal length eyepieces outside with me to try splitting it at lower powers. I also viewed the following Messier Objects tonight: M3, M4, M5, M6, M7, M11, M13, M22, M29, M39, M51 (barely visible), M57, M80, and M92. I also took a look at Caldwell 15, a planetary nebula in Cygnus. The Ring Nebula (M57) was seen as a definite smoke ring in my light polluted skies. With averted vision the star near the edge of the ring would pop into view on occasion. Tonight was a fun night with clear skies and excellent goto accuracy.

Clear skies,
Jeff

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:13 AM

Nice job. Was this your first time with this scope? I've had my LX200 GPS for just a month now and am LOVING it. Tracked Tempel tonight for 4+hours with no deviation on the tracking...found that amazing although I guess that's the norm for this scope and others in it's class. My buddy with his CPC pretty much did the same though we used his scope to chase some other objects during this period.

So, you're lucky to have such dark skies. I did when I was growing up. Enough that I used the 4.5" reflector my parents got me from Sears and never knew it really had limitations. Could see almost anything. Can't see hardly ANYTHING from the city where I am now, with my naked eye. but my LX200 just says something's there where it's pointing....I look...and sure enough, it's there! Way too cool.

Thanks!

#3 jeffk1965

jeffk1965

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:10 AM

Hi,

I have owned this scope for over three years and it has been a terrific scope. No problems and super optical and mechanical performance. I was observing under Magnitude 4 skies! Luckily, the 8" aperature can still bring in many of the Messier Objects.

Jeff

#4 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:43 AM

Nice report Jeff - thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics