•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binocular Deep Impact Observations ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 later

later

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:49 AM

So.........did anyone see the impact?????????.....

I watched the whole thing on NASA TV (JPL). At this time I have not heard a word on any observations other than from the impacter camera and the flyby cameras.

Gary :watching: :watching:

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:41 AM

Nope, didn't see it. We are too far south here. The impact was only 2 or so degrees above the horizon and atmospheric-extinction made it all but impossible even for the lucky few who could grab some elevation around here and get a shot of the WSW horizon that low.

I have heard that it brightened by about 2 magnitudes after the impact...IF it stays that way for tonight, and IF the weather permits, I will be out trying to bag it with my 100mm binocs. Of course, I will come in here hooping and hollaring and let everyone know if I catch it.

MikeG

#3 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:31 AM

I "bagged" it with my 8 inch SCT (nothing to write home about insofar as I could detect no meaningful difference between pre and post impact views). It was a good thing I carted the scope out to my viewing site along with my 40X100 Oberwerks because I didn't see the comet at all with the binos. The comet itself was nothing more than a faint smudge with a very slight brightening towards the nucleus. There's a good thread on this in the Beginners Forum here on CN.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics