•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Leica Duovids(8+12x42)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:35 AM

Hello forum members, I am new to this forum and would like some advice or comments. I am considering the Leica Duovids as a 2nd pair of binos. This bino has been out for about 1 1/2 years but I haven't found much reviews or reccommendations for this binocular. It seems to me that most would not recommend a zoom bino and if one REALLY wants one, then get the duovids if one can afford it. My current pair is a 8x30 SLC but I find myself at times wanting a little more mag and objective. I strongly considered a 10x42 but a lot of shops keep warning me about the shakes and limited useability. I could get another 8 or 8.5x42 but since I already have an 8X bino already I am not really improving other than increasing brightness(larger exit pupil). My purpose is general veiwing. Can anyone give me a site of a reveiew or their personal experience on this particular model. Thanks.

#2 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

I'm very happy with mine. The magnification can be set in the center of travel, giving you 10x as well. I have 8x20 Ultravids, 8x50 Trinovids, and 10x32 Trinovids, and find that I usually reach for the Duovids. While the 10x32's are very nice, light birding binos and the 8x50's reach a bit deeper into the shadows, the ability to get 8,10 and 12x as needed is a tremendous plus.

#3 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:22 PM

www.birdforum.net might? have a review.
Steve.

#4 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:25 PM

re: Can anyone give me a site of a review...?

Hi DJ, and welcome to CN!

Found a favorable mini-review here (scroll halfway down).

Saber

Ready to tackle the Herschel 400?
http://www.geocities...rpx/SGH400.html

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for the Reccommendation Paul. I was pretty sure this was what I wanted but didn't see much feed back. Today I just got my pair of 8x12 Duovids. Its geting late so I will try it out tomorrow but I sure am impressed with what I see. Weight doesn't seem too bad but I will never be holding it as long as a birder so this shouldn't be an issue. This pair is brand new and boy did I get a great deal from a "brick and mortar store".

#6 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:20 AM

Congrats! Please post your impressions once you've used them.

#7 ChrisR

ChrisR

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:05 PM

The Duovids are awesome. They are not like normal zooms which have a lot of slop in the mechanisms so you get to different magnifications. The images are crisp and clear all the way to the edges. You just have to make sure you set both eyes to 8 or 12. I have heard some people say they can set it in between for 10 but I have not been able to do this. When you set the left eye magnification it will set the center focus. I found when changing them from 8 to 12 I had to refocus a little bit every time but that is to be expected. All in all its Leica so you really can't go wrong.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

These binos are simply amazing. They are just as clear as my 8x30 SLC. If there is any CA, I don't notice but since I am not a dedicated birder, it may not matter. I just want a sharp clear picture. Maybe they don't stack up as nice as the Swaro EL's or the Nikon Premiers but to have duo power and not pay for two binos makes this pair special. I am 1000% satisfied!!! Now I was wondering if anyone Duovid/Ultravid owners ever try the Swaro 42mm objective covers on these binos. I think the dimensions must be fairly close to the SLC/El's. I have some for my 8x30 SLC and they work great. With such expensive glass (but I got a great deal) I would like to try to protect the objective lens. :grin:

#9 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

You guy's must be great at handholding 8-12x binoculars because if I want a steady image handheld from 8-12x I use one of my Canon IS binoculars and can see much more detail than my non-IS 8-12x binoculars.

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:23 AM

Well, I don't think my hands are that steady but I don't look at any one object that long. I more of a pan and scan type of viewer. I think most birders like to lock onto a subject for a long time so steadiness is paramount. I lokk at ships, airplanes, the mountains, birds, sporting events, etc. At 12x I get all the details I need quickly. If I had to stare at my subject, I wouldn't be using the 12x to much.

#11 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:36 AM

Well, I don't think my hands are that steady but I don't look at any one object that long. I more of a pan and scan type of viewer. I think most birders like to lock onto a subject for a long time so steadiness is paramount. I lokk at ships, airplanes, the mountains, birds, sporting events, etc. At 12x I get all the details I need quickly. If I had to stare at my subject, I wouldn't be using the 12x to much.

That is even more amazing since I can only read the tail numbers on aircraft with my IS binoculars.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics