•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

how much power do you get out of your meade 6-SN?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:31 PM

I don't have YOUR scope...but I have your problem. I have the 10" Meade, and after trying for 10 days in a row on Jupiter, I can not take it beyond 192x as of yet (117x being optimal, 192x pushing it as far as it can go without looking like Venus with moons). Last night was interesting, because it was the first time I viewed the Moon thru the new scope and pushed it up to 357x before the 'swimming' became intolerable. The best views were once again at the 192x, but with the Moon being such a bright and visibile object, it also highlighted all the atmospheric instability, showing me clearly WHY Jupiter will just not come in very well at high magnifications. (sure glad I got rid of that electric focuser, because chasing focus is a pain in the butt by push button)

Gary

#27 tcraig

tcraig

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

I am having the same problem and have begun to wonder if I am chasing tube currents more than bad seeing. I have the sn10 and Jupiter is a swimming basketball at around 200x and above until about 3:00am.

After reading someother post I am wondering if the changing night temp is getting me. Has anybody installed a cooling fan on the scope?
When I recieved it the plastic cover over the back of the mirror cell was loose. I am currently thinking about taking that apart and fixing it and adding a fan mounted to this plate. Any ideas about the best way for the air flow to be? In or out. I haven't done this yet because I was afraid to induce foreign matter into the scope.

I had hoped that being in an observatory and outside all tha time that cool down wouldn't be an issue. Starting to think
that's incorrect.

#28 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:00 PM

i installed a cooling fan on my SN by popping out the circular piece behid the mirror cell. it does help. i can feel the air blowing out of the focuser drawtube. but cooldown times still seem rather long. i'm sure that has something to do with my magnification issues. plus, jupiter can be difficult on high power. i'm looking forward to mars and saturn, as they tend to take power a bit better...

#29 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:36 PM

Cool down time was not an issue with me....i am taking great precautions in this regards. Last night (for example), i took the scope out at 6:30 in the shade. At 7:30 I put in the Lymax cat-cooler. At 8:30 I withdrew it and got ready for viewing. Daytime temps here have been in the low 80's, whereas temp at time of viewing is in mid-70's. There is not such a huge swing that 2 hours worth of preparation should not temper intra-tube thermals. On top of the 2 hours prep, there was also 2 hours viewing, during which time thermal equillibrium still had the opportunity to be reached. Thus, I beleive it is merely atmospherics and totally beyond my control. The moon was shimmering and swimming at the edges because the ATMOSPHERE was shimmering. These atmospheric conditions seem to plague each 'design' a bit differently, hence, the lengthy discussions over in my other post in which i did a side by side with my 3" APO, 5" Mak, and 10" SCT.

Gary

#30 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

i'd love to prepare like that, but since i live in an apartment complex, i don't want to leave my scopes outside for 2 hours prior to viewing. maybe i'll just put the mirror in the refrigerator lik i used to do with my newtonian. problem is, it's been in the 70's well into the night here lately...

#31 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:08 AM

I don't have YOUR scope...but I have your problem. I have the 10" Meade, and after trying for 10 days in a row on Jupiter, I can not take it beyond 192x as of yet (117x being optimal, 192x pushing it as far as it can go without looking like Venus with moons). Last night was interesting, because it was the first time I viewed the Moon thru the new scope and pushed it up to 357x before the 'swimming' became intolerable. The best views were once again at the 192x, but with the Moon being such a bright and visibile object, it also highlighted all the atmospheric instability, showing me clearly WHY Jupiter will just not come in very well at high magnifications. (sure glad I got rid of that electric focuser, because chasing focus is a pain in the butt by push button)

Gary

Well, I'm using a 9mm el cheapo lens from my suburban backyard with my 10" and it's just fine. Don't have anything higher as of yet. Using the barlow with the 9mm is a bit much. With the barlow it's nice and big but THEN I get the heat waves, etc.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics