•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

15x70 Celestron and Barskas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 lakedawgs

lakedawgs

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:09 PM

Been reading up on binoculars lately and am thinking the Celestrons or Barskas are the way to go for a pair of 15x70s.
What I would like to know is if any of you have used both and can tell the pros and cons against each other. I have read many reviews and binocular info (mostly here at CN, EdZ you have provided some great info and quick access to some great info). I would consider some 12x60s also. What I would like that seems to be missing from the equation is FMC as opposed to MC.
I only have about $100ish to spend ($150 is pretty much an absolute ceiling), so if you are going to trash these and say spend $200 on X brand, please save your and my time and do not post. I am fully aware I will not be getting the highest quality binoculars for this price range but those of us with new houses and new kids do what we can (keep telling the wife if we get a really really big scope we won't want to spend much time in the house anyway!)
Any relevant info would be greatly appreicated.
Lakedawgs

#2 Rcade

Rcade

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

For $150.00 you can get a better pair of binoculars made by Oberwerk. Try www.bigbionoculars.com They have FMC, excellent quality and terrific service. Check em out. In case you are wondering I have a pair of 11x70 Oberwerks and have enjoyed them greatly. You can find some reviews on the Celestrons, Barska and Oberwerks on this site in the "Reviews" section.

#3 hudder

hudder

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

Never actually used the Barskas, but the Celestron 15x70s that I have show some nasty coma around the edges. However, that being said, they are only $70 and the centre field views are excellent. The moons of Jupiter are pinpoints and the DSOs that I have been able to find are excellent. I would recommend them as long as you realize that you are getting what you pay for.

Mike

#4 MTatro

MTatro

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:16 AM

I also have the Celestron 15x70's. They are a great buy for the price $70 with shipping from Amazon, and never had any issues with them. I used them for several months before the dreaded aperture bug bit ;) and still break them out when I dont feel like lugging the 10" outside.

-Matt

#5 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:27 AM

My 15x70 Barska has severe yellow CA when viewing the moon. The focuser slips when bumped or tilted upwards. The right EP cover/diopter adjuster falls off easily. The Oberwerk 15x70 is a much better bino and worth the extra dollars.

#6 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:10 PM

I had the Barskas, and they werent bad. I presently own Fuji 10x70s, and yes the fujis are alot better, 8x the price better, for a beginner or someone on a tight budget not in my opinion. However since you are in a tripod mount a 15x bino anyway, I would strongly suggest one of the $150 20x100's out there. I like my celestron 25x100's but they are/were $199, so there isnt a $150 that I can personally recommend, but I like 100mm of aperature over 70, if I have to be on a Tripod. I would also consider 10x70's in lieu of 15x70's as the 10x's are heavy but are still hand holdable.

Mark

#7 PRESTON

PRESTON

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:16 PM

I have the Celestron 15x70's and really enjoy them.

I was in the same boat as you, and to spend more $ would have meant a doubling of cost, and was out of the question for me.

I even made use of the tripod adapter that came with them, I filled its sides with epoxy, and now its rock hard, and vibrations are non existent.

I use these binoculars much more than I use my scope, as tripod and all can be lifted with one hand, out the door.

If you want to compare these to binoculars twice the price, then I'm not the guy to talk to, but I've never regretted buying the Celestrons. I tried mine out in the store prior to purchase, just to make sure there was nothing hugely abnormal about them, and then bought em up!

As far as I'm concerned Charles Messier or Issac Newton would have killed for a pair! :D

#8 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:15 PM

I have the 15X70's. They appear to be a good sample, I only wish I'd sprung for the Oberwerks as they have better coatings. I spoke to one dealer and he cautions against these 70mm binos, apparently every pair he sold came back due to barrel alignment being lost more the collimation could fix. So treat them well if you get a good sample.

I ordered mine from a local camera store, so that if a problem occured I could take them in, drop them off and they would have to deal with the shipping hassles.

-Chris

#9 lakedawgs

lakedawgs

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

I have found the 15x70 Oberwerks for $150 shipped. Looks like thats the route I am going to go, just need to actually do it.
Likely will in the next week or so, I will give a first light report after I get them.
THanks for all the good comments.
Lakedawgs

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics