•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Orion SVP120 vs. ED80 vs. Orion 127mm Mak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

Hey, all. I'm a moderate-beginner in line for a new scope, and I'm torn between those three. Just as a bit of background, I've been using binoculars for over a year, and a small Orion reflector for about half of that time. Primarily, I observe double stars and nebulae, with some planetary and globular cluster stuff on the side. Chromatic aberration bugs me, but I have to admit that my only experience with it comes from the 60mm Tasco that I once had, (and returned), so I may be overestimating the problem. Dobs are out of the question, as I'm A) 6'5", and don't like sitting on the ground in a cold Canadian winter, and B) whatever setup I get has to be man-portable in one trip, and of moderate size, as it'll be living in university residence with me next year. Any advice is appreciated.

#2 celestial_search

celestial_search

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:48 PM

I responded to your question in the refractor forum. Many of us own a variety of scopes and frequent several forums so you probably won't get any new info by posting multiple entries.

Good luck

#3 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:00 AM

Hi, and welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Like Frank said, there are more efficient ways to get good answers at CN. This would be a good question to ask in our Equipment Forum, since almost everybody hangs out there no matter what kind of scope they use, and you'll get the best answers that way. Just a helpful hint for the future.

But given everything you've said, I'd lean towards the ED80. It's not as compact as the 127 Mak, but for Canadian winters it will cool down fastest. The Mak is not that big a deal to cool down, you just leave it outside for a while, but it's an extra thing to worry about.

A tall, long focus reflector like the SVP 6LT is also great on all those objects too, and would be great for a tall guy like you, but its not a 'grab and go' scope. It takes me at least three trips to get it set up. (Sorry, I read ahead in the refractor forum, and didn't want to double post!)

Again, welcome to CN!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics