•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Size of a 127mm Mak, all packed up?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hi all.

Can anyone give me an idea of how large a 127mm Mak on an EQ3-sized mount, with tripod, is when all packed up to go? Even better, does anyone have a photo of what it looks like when packed up, tripod folded, OTA and accessories in a hard-case, etc.?

I have been swaying back and forth between an 8" dob and a 5" Mak (Orion or Skywatcher, whatever) on an EQ3 mount as my first scope.

Both would fit in my car for transport, both weigh about the same, all-told, but I think that the Mak will pack up a lot smaller. I could fit myself and the Dob in my car and that would be about it, so I could not take it with me on a road-trip, for example.

I think the Dob would be a better scope in that I would see more with it... but I'd have less opportunity to use it, because it's much more awkward. On the other hand, the Mak would be a little more complex (equatorial mount) but if I can pack it up nicely, I'd be more inclined to take it out observing.

Opinions gladly accepted! Thanks!

#2 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:29 PM

the tripod & mount is the big item especially with the counterweight, the orions usually come with a nice padded soft case for the ota, (well my used ones did).

#3 celestial_search

celestial_search

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:56 PM

The case, with OTA inside (dew shield wrapped around OTA), is less than 20" X 10" X 9". It weighs about 9 pounds.

I can't answer about the tripod.

#4 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:28 AM

the mount will be somewhere around 33x10 as an outside guess. but that will be taking the counterweight bar off.
and depending on what type it is.eq3,cg5,one odf the orion's etc.but basically your talkig small golf bag.
(golf bag duffles can make good tripod cases)

#5 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:10 AM

The tripod legs on mine fit in their bag pretty nicely, and they're no problem to lug around. But, the polar mount weighs a ton. I use a funny looking bag to carry it, I should probably get a hard case for it though. I've never quite figured out how to set up quickly, and it can be hard to move. Now, it may not make sense to you right now, but while you're dob may take up more volume, I think you'll get to using it much sooner than I do with my Mak. I think that the setup time would be faster with a dob, you just drop down the mount, and plop in the optical tube. No cases needed like I have. However, if you're talking total volume saved, you will save much more volume by getting the Mak rather than the dob, and can make packing for travel, many many times more practical. One tip, you should try to find a better mount for the orion. The CG3 is ok, but I think a bigger one would make images more stable. I changed the o-rings in mine out to nylon washers to make it shake around less, but when I go up to other telescopes, mine is kinda put to shame... Get the bigger mount. Also, the bigger mount setup has a dovetail mount, I wouldn't kill for one, but I'd save most of my setup time if I didn't have to screw the darn tube onto the mount. It isn't easy to mount it either. BTW, if you live in a light polluted area, like Seattle or San Francisco, you'll find that more aperature seems to just pull in more light pollution, not stars. One time my telescope was the star of the show, except for when we held one where I live, away from all the lights. :p BTW, check out the new 150mm Mak, and the new semi-apo 80mm. I don't know what it is with these refractors... :bow:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics