•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Help a (newbie) Canadian Shopper?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:34 PM

Hello,

I intend on purchasing my first pair of binoculars for stargazing. I've been recommended 10x50s and 11x56s (oberwerk) and been given many links that are American.

I'm afraid of big shipping charges, heavy duties and taxes when buying cross border.

I have emailed Optics Planet because I am very interested in the Oberwerk 11x56 on sale right now for $99. I have about $150-200CAD to spend, and I'm hoping thats enough.

Any suggestions?

#2 PRESTON

PRESTON

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:41 PM

Do you live anywhere near Toronto? If so Efston Science is located there and they have a huge showroom. Their website is telescope.ca

they have many Binoculars, from the entry level, all the way up to the top of the line. Probabbly the largest astonomy store in the country.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

I actually do live in Toronto. I'll be sure to check that place out, thanks a lot!

//edit: Many binocs cost more than the $200 max limit I set. I'm a photographer, and I usually purchase things from the states because equipment is far cheaper down there. It seems like this is a similar case. Should I buy locally or cross border? I'll definitely check this place out though.

#4 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:20 PM

It may cost more to buy locally, but you can see what you get, you can return for help if you have problems, and you support your local store.

ed jones

#5 Alby

Alby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:21 PM

Hi tofu;

Efston recently started selling Oberwerks.
They sell the Pentax 10x50 PCF WP2 for $199 CND, an excellent binoc.
Good luck and welcome to CN.

Cheers

Alby

#6 MaritimeSky

MaritimeSky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:53 PM

While you're in Efston's neighborhood, check out Khan Scope Center right down the street too (literally not much more than a stone's throw), they have a great variety of Nikon, Meade, and Celestron. Pretty good prices too - slightly less than Efston.

Best of luck.

#7 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:56 PM

I've purchased from Efston a few times, the 10X50 Pentax is a nice bino I've looked through it a few times. The Carton Aldeblick 10X50 would also be nice, I've looked through a bino made at the same factory and it's one of the nicest view through a 10X50's I've seen.

I went with a Vixen 7X50 Geoma, I really like it, nice eye reliefe and sharp. They also make a 10X50, but they are pricey to get in here in Canada, you'd probably be better off with the Carton 10X50.

-Chris

#8 Robert A.

Robert A.

Viking 1

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:53 AM

The Carton Adlerblick from Carton Optical Canada, Inc.
Ottawa, Ontario--are more expensive than you want. They are a good retailer that has their own line of binoculars. Have you heard of them? (http://www.carton.ca/binoculars.html)
BarrySimon615 in post "Best Binos for $200" - 03/06/04 has used them, likes their coatings .
They were discussed several years ago in Astromomy Magazine.
Some of the chinese binoculars are offered from a Canadian seller of "Nova" binoculars. They don't dictate specifcations over them like Oberwerk does.

#9 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:18 AM

The Carton's here in Canada are only a few dollars more then the Pentax. They should have them both, Pentax WP's are $245 while the Cartons are $299 CANADIAN DOLLARS.

-Chris

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:11 PM

Hm. It seems like I can get a pair of Oberwerk 11x56 from the US for slightly cheaper than buying a pair of 10x50s here. I'm considering getting the 11x56 for the little more magnification and aperature. Thoughts?

#11 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

I'm considering getting the 11x56 for the little more magnification and aperature

With that consideration you are beginning to step out of the realm of hand-held binoculars. What are your plans?

edz

#12 patter1

patter1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:10 PM

Ed's right; the 11x56s are not comfortably hand-holdable, unless your arms are supported...like when lying down in an inflated rubber dinghy. They're also too big, heavy, and too much magnification for (hand-held) daytime use. But they will see a bit deeper than 10x50s.

I live in Canada too, and I had to pay something like $40 in duty fees for my 11x56s.

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:30 PM

$40 sounds about right. You must've shipped UPS Ground or standard USPS? I intend on shipping UPS Expedited, it's more expensive ($50) but it covers duties and everything.

I'm starting to worry if 11x56 are too big for me. I'm a relatively small guy, and I intend to share these binocs with my friends and my sister (all even smaller than I am).

Should I be looking at a pair of 10x50s or 8x40s instead?

#14 patter1

patter1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:01 PM

I'm pretty sure it was by USPS air. I don't like UPS because they always charge a hefty 'brokerage fee' into Canada. I don't know if the $50 price you mentioned includes that, but at that price I'd hope so.

The only way to tell for sure if 11x56 would be too much for you to hand-hold (due to weight, magnification, and size to a lesser extent), would be to try them. I suspect you and your friends and sister would find them not easy to hand-hold.

If this will be your only binoc, used mainly for astronomy, I'd probably go with 10x50. 8x40 might be a good choice if it will be used for quite a bit of daytime viewing too; it'll be easier to use but it won't see as deep on the night sky. It's all compromise and personal preference.

#15 Island Mike

Island Mike

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:18 AM

FYI, you should never have to pay duty on any optical equipment coming into Canada from the US. Its covered under NAFTA. I spoke with someone at customs canada about this last week to confirm.

Some shipping companies will charge what they call a 'brokerage fee' or something along those lines, but it is not a duty or import tax.

I bought my 11 x 70s from Adorama Camera in NY state (the advertise in S&T) They had good prices and a big selection.

Good point about holdability. I use I tripod with mine of course, but oddly enough I find I use my 10 x 50s more because I can just grab them with my hands and go.

For the record, they were Bushnells, and ran me about $50 IIRC on sale at Canadian Tire.

#16 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:31 AM

Hi,

I live in the GTA (Whitby) and I own an older pair of Celestron 7x50s that I bought used from Khan (not a good selection there though - mostly cheap Russian stuff). Efston is nice but expensive and Kendrick's is the best of the Toronto stores - for scopes and service/repuation - visit excelsis.com for reviews on most retailers in North America. In my rather inexperienced opinion, the best would be the 7x50 and 10x50 Adlerblicks(sp?) from Carton whose distributor is based in Ottawa - although some Canadian stores also carry it. Both are exceptionally lightweight for their size at 27oz with good relative FOV. The 7x50 look to be quite "special" to me and I wish I didn't already have a decent pair in that size. Spend the extra for the Cartons and I doubt you will ever replace them.

#17 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:17 AM

Some of those cheap Russian binoculars are good for the money.
Steve.

#18 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

Some of those cheap Russian binoculars are good for the money.

I'm sure your right, but it could be difficult for someone who is new to it all to figure out which ones are the good deal. I believe that with most things, an inexperienced shopper should play it safe and get a product that is well recognized and known to be of high quality. Let the expert observers venture off into the unknown to discover the obscure low-cost gems.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics