•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Difference between Swarovski SL and SLC binos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:43 PM

A pair of Swarovski 7x50 SL binos have come up for sale in and while I can find plenty of info on the SLC and SLCnew I can't find much info of use on the SL. From appearances the SLC seem to be a roof prosm design while the SL is porro prism. After any info on the SL suitability for astro use and how it compares to the SLC. Are there particular differences between year of manufacture? Seems they will go for about $AUS 400 ($US 300). Some new NIKON 7x50 prostars just went for $AUS 485 which seemed like good value.

Andrew (Australia)

#2 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

Hello Andrew and everybody else,I have been lurking here for some time and finally "signed" up. Swarovski quit making the SL line of porro prism binoculars the SLC are roof prism and I don't know when they started p-coating prism on SLC line.I have an old catalog "1982 I believe"That lists prices at $525 for the Green SL 7x50.These porro prism had cemented prism,soft polyurethane foam casing,liftime guarantee and were supposed to be waterproof.The 7x50 field of view is listed as 6.6 degrees.I bought the SL compact roof prism 7x30 which has 7x30 SLC wrote on it.This "was" before the larger SLC like the 10x42 etc.I paid $388 at the time and I always wished I bought the Swarovski 8x30 WSL compact also.The Swarovski 7x30 SLC I have is not p-coated but I use it for birds,hunting and astronomy.Astronomy use is mostly for help in locating objects and if I don't feel like getting my Nikon 10x42 SE's out.I have never heard any bad things about the Swarovski SL series.Sorry to ramble on like this, but hope this helps a little.Steve

#3 Raybo

Raybo

Sputnik

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:26 PM

Here is some more information on the Swaro porro's.

#4 Henry Link

Henry Link

Messenger

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:45 PM

I owned a number of the SL binoculars back in the 80's. I bought the 8x56 instead of the 7x50, but I prefered the 10x50 for astronomy because of it's wider apparent field. Besides the narrow 6.6 degree field the SL 7x50 didn't have roll dowm eyecups (none of the SL's did except the 8x56), so it would not work well at all with eyeglasses. Optically it was quite straight forward and conservative; Cemented achromat objectives, Kellner eyepieces, nothing special. All the SL's were very bright thanks to the simple designs (only 8 glass to air surfaces in the 7x50) and the Swarotop multi-coatings.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics