•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Parallelogram mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 HubbleO

HubbleO

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:08 PM

Mods...If this post would be better answered in another forum please feel free to move it.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at making a p-mount for my new Oberwerk 11x56s. I've seen some pictures and plans online and I think it is within my extremely limited woodworking experience (well...at least I know how to use some a drill and saw). I have some pressure treated 1x2s. Are these suitable for making the mount? Any suggestions/things to be aware of are welcome.

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:23 PM

You're definitely in the right place.

edz

#3 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:03 PM

PT wood will work as long as you don't put too much weight on it. It has a tendency to split as it dries out. It also flexes more. I recommend red oak instead for a more solid mount.

Here's pic of one I made using a UA Microstar mount (for the azimuth part).

http://tinyurl.com/dadzz

#4 HubbleO

HubbleO

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:51 PM

Another question...attaching the mount to the camera tripod. I had a thought or two.

There is a small removable base (a quick release plate?). If I remove the short screw from the underside I can replace it with a longer screw that will go up into the center vertical piece of the mount (I'm thinking a 2x2).

Another thought was to notch out the center vertical piece on the bottom to simulate the angled edges of the quick release plate. I wonder, though, if that will be too weak where the notches are cut. Ideally there should be no real side to side force or torque on the vertical piece if everthing is balance correctly but I'm not counting on that.

#5 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

Jim, what brand and model tripod are you using? If it's too light duty, it may not hold the weight of the P-mount, counter weights and binos. Can you post a pic of or link to the tripod you have? It's hard to recommend construction methods without seeing the tripod. If the 2x2 is PT, it will probably split. I don't think a notched piece of wood will hold on a small QR plate.

#6 HubbleO

HubbleO

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

Its a Velbon Victory 650 tripod...fairly light in my opinion.

#7 MTatro

MTatro

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:03 PM

Here's my P-Mount. While its not wood, you could probably adapt the plans to use wood. The tripod I used is a $30 Walmart setup, and with the binocs, and the weight of the p-mount, it's solid.

-Matt

#8 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:33 PM

Matt -

Thanks for sharing your mount and the link. I checked out the one you built and the other mount on the website that inspired you. That's one of the simplest and effective mounts I have seen. I have been meaning to build a p-mount for some time now, but I hadn't found the right balance of low-cost and performance. Until now.

Jim -

Do a search of this forum of all the posts running back 5 or 6 months and use the search term "p-mount". You'll find quite a few informative threads about various p-mount designs.

MikeG

#9 rnabholz

rnabholz

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:52 PM

I made a tripod similar to this one for my Pmount.

You can pick up the crutches for a couple of dollars down at the local Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

The crutches are incredibly strong and being wood, they damp quickly.

Good Luck with your search and project.

#10 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

I can't seem to find a pic of the tripod on the web. For light binos it will probably work, but might be shakey. Just be sure the leg locks don't slip with the weight. I've had that happen with my first P-mount on a lightweight tripod. Screwing a post into the tripod head will work, just keep the height of the post as low as possible to avoid unnecessary stress on the tripod head. Keep the booms as short as possible. It will reduce shakeyness. Also clamp the booms together and drill the holes thru both to get the spacing equal.

#11 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:26 PM

Jim,

I have a Velbon deluxe 690. This is not a tripod I would mount ANYTHING but a 2# binocular on.

You should not attach the Pmount to the quick release plate, on any tripod.

Better quality tripods have a head that screws off the tripod centerpost top-plate. The Velbon has no tripod centerpost top-plate. It looks like the plastic head is crimped onto the centerpost.

edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics