•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Observing with 20x80 Deluxe II

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#26 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:34 AM

Some of the difficulty in finding Cygnus is that the main part of the constellation spans 22 degrees of sky from Deneb at the head of the cross to Albireo at the base. This is a large chunk of sky. The famous Sourthern Cross is only about 1/4 the size. So the Cygnus is not a smaller constellation like Delphines or it's sourthern counterpart. Here in the Washington DC suburbs (40d latitude) at around 10pm EST Cygnus is about halfway up in the eastern sky. A line from Albireo to Deneb at the head of the cross points downward to the northern horizon or the lower rising "W" of Cassiopia on the northeast horizon.

#27 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:28 AM

That is the way it looked. My wife and I were able to hop from Ursa Major to Draco and find Ursa Minor in between along with Polaris, then the cross and Vega in Lyra above it. The cross does start more on its head almost in the E and rotate around to an upright posiiton. Once I found it everything else fell into place. Thanks!

#28 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:41 AM

Hi Shawn,

Happy to help.

You've likely noticed, but Polaris is the end of the Little Dipper's handle.

Clear skies,
Rich

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics