•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Curious

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 lowmal

lowmal

O Baterista

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:08 AM

Howdy all!!

Anyone here own a CGE set-up?

I am looking to purchase an 11" - 14" scope.. Leaning toward the 1400 CGE XLT, or a 12" LX200GPS SMT UHTC.. I realize a wedge would be needed for a fork mounted scope (I am involved in astropotography).. I am partial to EQ mounts, and the 1400 CGE looks like a supurb instrument.. However, if I purchased an 11 or 12" set-up, I would leave myself with some financial cushion for accessories.. That said, I intend this to be a LONG term investment, so I am not adverse to waiting on future needed purchases..

Relative to astrophotography, would an EQ platform, such as the 1400 CGE, be more preferable then a 14" LX200GPS w/ Milburn or APT wedge?? Costs are comparable.. I would not be adverse to a 12" LX200GPS w/ wedge if the function would be as good as an EQ platform..

Thanks all!!

Shawn

#2 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

I vote CGE... Pretty impressive mount from what I read on them from owners.

#3 Dean

Dean

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

I use a 14" LX200 on a SuperWedge for imaging - it's doable but not easy. I don't have problems with stability with the SuperWedge, but alignment is a pain and I think thats where a Milburn or APT would really help. You can see some of my images with this setup here. My biggest problem is with tracking and that is probably the fork & drive more than anything. I'm considering putting the OTA on a GEM like a Losmandy Titan.

I don't know if a 1400 CGE would be better - I think that a 14" is a bit much for a CGE for AP - it has been been done though.

I think a better setup for a 12-14" SCT for your money would be a heavier GEM like the Titan. Florent does great work with a 12" LX200 on a Titan - you can check out his setup & images here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics