•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binocular Filters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:26 AM

I have had some success holding my 2" UHC Baader filter in front of the objective of 8X40's and in front of the eyepiece of 15X70's and 7X50's.

The rubber eyecups on the 15X70's easily lift up, I began to wonder about getting an inexpensive Line Filter like Orions Ultrablock UHC, taking it apart and just using the glass underneath the rubber eyecup of my 15X70's and 22X100's.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

-Chris

#2 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:12 AM

Until two months ago, I could relate to your dilemma. I own a large set of O-rings. My attempts to add filters to my binos involved using various O-rings glued together forming a cylinder of O-rings in which the filter would fit, and the whole mess would then fit over my eyepiece. Let's just say, I wouldn't place it on my list of great ideas.

Two months ago I purchased the BT-100 45°. Now with interchangeable eyepieces, I just screw on the filters like normal astronomers do. Note, this also allows me to try the one eye with filter and one without method of viewing.

So how well does this work? There has not been a single night of 5+ mag since I bought the new binos. Time for a road trip to dark skies.

AJ

#3 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:16 AM

Ideally I'll own a pair of the BT100-45's, but until I do I'm trying to figure out the best way to insert a neb line filter into the 22X100's and others.

Did you try a filter glass out of it's cell on a washer?

-Chris

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 09 July 2005 - 11:06 AM

I've been asking myself many of the same questions regarding binos and filters. With my mag-4 skies, LPR filters are a big temptation.

I had a conversation with a fellow over at the Yahoo Bino-Astro group, and he sent me some pics and a success story about his adaptation of LPR filters for bino use. I had intended to try the same thing and write a piece on the results, but I haven't had the disposable income since then to purchase one or two LPR filters.

But, here is the pic he sent me. The filters are without the "ring" that threads them into a scope ep. He sandwhiched them between some washers and inserted them into the ep cups.

The binocs in question are Barska 15x70mm. I forget the specifics on the filters and construction, but I could dig it up if someone PM's me. I have permission to re-print his emails for the purposes of an article on my site, but I haven't talked to him in a while, and I'm not sure if he would OK me re-posting the entire thing here. So PM if you want the specifics. He claims it worked well.

Posted Image

Related question, as I stated in my recent review of my 25x100mm Skymasters, my diopter shrounds are loose and falling off. IF the Skymasters are not sealed and charged with Nitrogen to begin with, then is it really a big deal that mine came loose? Could I take advantage of this apparent fault and use the open diopter-housings to insert LPR filters and then gently press the diopter-shroud with filter back into place? If I could turn this seemingly-negative equipment failure into a potential positive result, then I might re-consider shipping these things back to Celestron. Any opinions on this?

MikeG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics