•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Celestron 114 GT RS-232 Not working?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2004 - 09:12 PM

Spent 5 hours trying to get scope/PC connection to work without success.

HAS ANYONE EVER gotten A Celestron 114GT to connect to a PC or a Laptop?

With tested/working serial ports on FIVE (count em) PC's and two laptops I was unable to to get any of the PC's or laptops to link in any way to the telescope.

Conclusion:

1) The brand new telescope controller is broken.

or

2) The software is broken.

I have done every combonation of ordering of cabling, software loading, menu settings set to "RS-232" and not. I have adjusted Windows 2000 settings "ad infinitum". The computers are the full range of speeds from 133mhz to 2800 mhz. Absolutely nothing to indicate the controller is working to create a link. I have also loaded several other netstar compatible linking software packages but still ...nada. I am tempted to open it up to see if ANY wires go to the jack :D.

If you are a Swanson you can be sure none of the items posted on your website work.

If anyone has gotten this working on any PC it would rock if you could tell us the magic method otherwise I will be stuck with getting my money back :(

Thanks in advance for successful stories of getting this working.

Peter Evans

#2 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 10 January 2004 - 10:09 PM

Hi Pete,

Give this a try...

http://www.nexstarsi...m/PCControl.htm

#3 sienarot

sienarot

Viking 1

Posted 10 January 2004 - 10:47 PM

I've built following the instructions on that site and it worked no problem (using their software). I plugged in the serial connection to the back of the computer, hooked up a phone cord between the serial connection and the controller, rebooted the computer (just in case), changed to "RS-232" mode on the controller, opened the application and it worked without a charm.

#4 zccopwrx

zccopwrx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:46 PM

I noticed that I cant get hcAnywhere to work at all, it keeps giving me Error 16. :(

But NSOL works fine!

I made the cable myself (radioshack is fun) with a 12" spacesaver tele cord and a very sturdy DB9 connector.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the reply :D Well at least I know it worked for someone. I emailed Celestron and hope to get a reply soon. Mine definitely not working (have tried all the "Swanson's", but thanks for the link) so it is probally a bad controller or version of the controller. This is one of the ones with the bad firmware that does not display all star options for alignment also. If a company lets it out the door with one obvious problem, two would not be a unlikely event. I will see what Celestron has to say and post the results.

#6 sienarot

sienarot

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:05 PM

My remote is one of those remotes with the missing G-Z stars and I've been able to connect to my computer...

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:09 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! HUMAN ERROR!!!

Fortunately for my ego, not mine. I used the HCAnywhere webpage as my guide to building the RS-232 cable.

Of course the serial port connector diagram pin numbers are labled incorrectly on the site (backward) so my wiring was off. Correctly wired it works perfectly on each computer. Thanks for the replies, you spurred me on to defeat the scourge of humanity...human error.

- General

#8 Matthew E

Matthew E

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2004 - 09:41 PM

hah,

i bought my cable off ebay, and hooked it up tonight, my inital setup suffered from user error as well, as i forgot this pc that i tested the connection on has 2 Comm ports :)

i cant belive that was the only issue, i was actually suprised on how easy it was.

I also purchsed the AC adapter today, and i think it was worth the $26, as the motors move better and the response seems to be better overall with the AC adapter.

just my 2 cents :)

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:16 PM

Any Idea if the cable that came with my scope may be wired backward?

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 February 2004 - 09:16 AM

Thanks sienarot , I got it to work last night. I hooked it up in the order u sead. worked great!!!!!!!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics