•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aug11 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Aug11 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Image/Sketch is our Winner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

Welcome to the August 2011 Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest poll!

Each month the best images selected from the individual Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching forums will be presented for the userbase to vote on. The winning entry will be posted on the front page of the CN website for all to admire! At the conclusion of the poll, the entry with the highest total will be the winner of the contest..

Please choose your favorite from the entries below. The poll will remain open through September 20th at midnight.

Here are the entries for July!

[Beginning Imaging's Finalist - lacomj:

Posted Image

lacomj (Jeffrey LaCombe)
Ok, I finally learned that this is actually a pick-your-own-target contest, so I'll give it a go with my new CCD camera.

NGC7023: Iris Nebula
Imaged from Reno, NV August 6-7, 2011

Equipment:
Scope: Astrotech AT111EDT F7 APO Refractor with AT2FF Field Flattener. Guiding via AT72ED with Meade DSI-II & PhD
Camera: SBIG ST-8300M with FW8-8300 & Baader 36mm Filter set (LRGBHOS)
Mount: Orion Atlas EQ-G

Exposure Details: 830 mins total exposure (13.8 hrs)
Chip Temperature: -15C
335 mins total exposure
Luminance: 32x300s
Red: 12x300s
Green: 12x300s
Blue: 11x300s

Software
Capture: Equinox Image
Stacking: Nebulosity
Post Processing: PixInsight, Lightroom.

Film Astrophotography's Finalist - Rick Thurmond:

Posted Image

M20, the Trifid Nebula, captured on three sheets of hypered black and white film through red, green, and blue filters. I used my C14 and astrocamera I built ten years ago from a Graflex film holder. Exposure times were 45 minutes for blue, and 30 minutes for green and red. Green and Blue exposures were on hypered Acros and Red exposure was on hypered Tech Pan.

DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing's Finalist - Nils_Lars:

Posted Image

28 5min subs with no filter at ISO 800 stacked in DSS then adjusted in PS CS2. Canon 500D(modded) , Orion Atlas mount and the lens was the Nikon 180ED @ f/2.8 and a 7x40mm finder as a guide scope

-The many spectacular colors of the Rho Ophiuchi (oh'-fee-yu-kee) clouds highlight the many processes that occur there. The blue regions shine primarily by reflected light. Blue light from the star Rho Ophiuchi and nearby stars reflects more efficiently off this portion of the nebula than red light. The Earth's daytime sky appears blue for the same reason. The red and yellow regions shine primarily because of emission from the nebula's atomic and molecular gas. Light from nearby blue stars - more energetic than the bright star Antares - knocks electrons away from the gas, which then shines when the electrons recombine with the gas. The dark regions are caused by dust grains - born in young stellar atmospheres - which effectively block light emitted behind them. The Rho Ophiuchi star clouds, well in front of the globular cluster M4, are even more colorful than humans can see - the clouds emits light in every wavelength band from the radio to the gamma-ray. (APOD)

CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - dsnope:

Posted Image

Here is my bi-color narrowband rendition of Pickering's Triangle (NGC6979), a portion of the Veil Nebula Supernova Remnant

Camera: STL11K
Optic: TEC160F
Ha: 11 x 20 mins
O3: 11 x 20 mins

Exposures taken over the first week of August, 2011

Solar System Imaging's Finalist - john rozakis:

Posted Image

My entry. Jupiter GRS and red spot jr 15,16 August 2011 Newtonian 12" f4 @f37,5 flea3 powermate5x rgb filters losmandy G11 Athens Greece

Sketching Forum's Finalist - Roel:

Posted Image

On August 2everything seemed to be right. The weather was absolutely great, the Sun was more active than I've seen so far this year and the seeing was above average. A good day to try sketching a full-disk h-alpha sun for the first time instead of an isolated prominence. First I made a blank disk with a soft white pastel. I took the sketch outside and filled in all the details I could see through the eyepiece of my 70mm solar telescope with white and black pastel pencils. All regions were very active, especially the middle one: it changed its shape within minutes. Sometimes little bright flare-like brightenings appeared and disappeared 2 minutes later. A wonderful sight! It took me one hour (from 08.00 UT - 09.00 UT) to complete the drawing. I scanned the (black&white) sketch and gave it a reddish color with Photoshop.

Sketch made from my backyard in Deventer, The Netherlands.

Good Luck to all our finalists!

#2 Nils_Lars

Nils_Lars

Voyager 1

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:51 AM

Congrats on the win Roel , an amazing sketch of the Sun.

#3 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

Congratulations Roel! Incredible work of Art!

I sure would like to understand why we're not more voting participation in this monthly contest?? This is the cream of CN imaging/sketching forums yet with all of the people who take part in the forums, so few seem to turn out and vote?

#4 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:42 AM

I don't really understand that myself, Robert. It's not as if the contest isn't promoted.

#5 nitsky

nitsky

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:24 AM

:applause:. Fantastic win Roel, beautiful work.
I too am amazed at the low turn outs for these contests. Even the low amounts of entrys. There are incredibly gifted people that show thier work, yet never enter?
Clearskys,
Dave

#6 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

Superb sketch, Roel! Congratulations.

#7 lacomj

lacomj

Ranger 4

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

Beautifully done Roel and congratulations! At first glance I had completely thought that was an Ha/digital image!

I have a few thoughts of the "low participation" in this contest based on my own experience...

I think the cross-forum nature is a double-edged sword that needs to be handled very clearly in all posts about the contest. For example, although we see the "semi-finals" in the individual forums, and vote, the whole rules and scheme aren't generally there to explain how it works. There doesn't seem to be as effective a way to direct traffic to the finals poll.

I (for one) frequent a few forums here and from the first time, saw that there were monthly contests with attending posts in their hosting forums. It took me months to figure out that this one was different in several ways. When there are so many different contests here each month, it isn't hard to confuse them.

It really wasn't easy to figure out how this one worked either. At first I thought that the winners from each forum's native contest (with their respective object-of-the-month) was automatically forwarded to this site-wide contest. It took some sifting through archives to see that couldn't be the case!

I have a few suggestions:

1. Change the name to make it more memorable and sound like the big deal that it is. Something like
  • "CN Open Class Imaging Competition"
  • "CN Imaging Master of the Universe"
  • "CN Masterpiece of the Month"
  • "CN Astrophoto of the Month (CN-APOM)"
  • you get the idea

2. In EACH and EVERY post about the contest, in each forum, there should be a common piece of text that gives the overview of how it works, including
  • A blurb of how this is the "grand challenge" of the month for CN, with the winner getting their image on the front page of CN
  • The objects/subjects are freely chosen by the entrant
  • Entries are made through the individual forums (semi-finals), with the winner selected in cross-forum vote.
  • A link to the detailed rules
  • A link to the gallery of past winners
  • A link to where they go to vote for the winner, including a note that voting for the big winner occurs only AFTER the semi-finals are done. Probably best to make this a link to the parent forum, not a specific message (as that changes each month, and require editing this standard info).

I think that once people start seeing this "standard message" (again, on ALL posts about the contest), they'll figure out and start seeing how to participate as entrants and voters. After all, most of the best images on CN appear in that contest...there is lots of reason to check it out!

So, those are my 4 cents! :thinking:

#8 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

Thanks Jeff - great comments!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics