•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Let's see how they perform

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:44 PM

After having to try out the Big 5 12-36x70 Barskas and crossing my eyes to merge the dual images, I was leary about trying another low cost set of medium sized binos.
Needless to say the Barskas go back on Monday.

I cant afford to dive into the mid to high end $ binos, so I started looking again.

I read Bebs review of the Celestron 15x70's and it seemed like a good deal with some trade offs.

I was able to nail down a pair for $64.95 + $14.95 shipping $79.40 from N.Y. That total was cheaper than anywhere in Ca. and I did not have to pay Tax.

I hope I did not make another mistake!

#2 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:04 AM

I saw that deal at Adorama, too.
Worth the price just to have it arrive collimated and mechanically sound.
Looking forward to your impressions, Dan.

Saber

Ready to tackle the Herschel 400?
http://www.geocities...rpx/SGH400.html

#3 Magellanico

Magellanico

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:11 AM

You won't be disappointed. There is a good review of Skymaster 15x70 in Astronomy magazine (2005 April issue).

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, I've always liked my 15x70 Skymasters. I think they have better fit-and-finish than the larger 25x100 Skymasters. Not to mention that the optics on my smaller 15's seemed better than that on the big 100mm model.

I just boxed-up my 25x100's to ship them back to Celestron. The diopters are falling apart on them. Meanwhile my 15's keep going and going and going. Honestly, I think the smaller 15's you ordered are a better bang for the buck than the bigger 25's I paid $200+ for.

Good luck again and let us know how it goes, I will do the same and keep the group updated on my warranty dealings with Celestron.

MikeG

#5 Fred

Fred

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

I had to send my 10x50 binos from Celestron back to get collimated. It was a pain in the neck and I got killed on shipping costs. They came back nice and merged images but I would just go for the more expensive binoculars to get 1. Better quality, and 2. For it to actually arrive in good condition.

-Fred

#6 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

I had to send my 10x50 binos from Celestron back to get collimated. It was a pain in the neck and I got killed on shipping costs. They came back nice and merged images but I would just go for the more expensive binoculars to get 1. Better quality, and 2. For it to actually arrive in good condition.

-Fred

Hi Fred,

The problem in many cases is that the dealers of binoculars don't know what you mean if you say they are uncollimated...
According to all I have heard and my own experiences maybe the most budget binoculars are less or more uncollimated.
I don't know, is it really possible to collimate all uncollimated binos without destroying them?

Patric

#7 Pinewood

Pinewood

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

A Finnish bird watcher informed me that most binoculars are sold out of collimation. He seemed to be particularly suspicious of Porro binoculars, favored by astronomers. He cautioned me to examine carefully even a $300 made by a top company. Few of us are capable of doing an optical bench test, so I was satisfied when the glass resolved stars into nice points of light.
Clear skies,
Arthur

#8 MaritimeSky

MaritimeSky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

Getting a pleasing image (as opposed to truly collimating) many binoculars is not all that difficult in my experience, provided one has access to the prism tilt screws. EdZ has an article here on CN detailing how to more-or-less collimate porros to a level that will give you a very pleasing image should your porros arrive or somehow become knocked out of collimation.

I have 15x70 Skymasters as well, and for what they cost, I wasn't expecting these to hold collimation indefinitely, and they did not, but either way - life happens. They get bumped and knocked, frozen and thawed, heated and cooled... the opportunities for the collimation to go out of whack are quite abundant through regular use.

EdZ's article on "collimating" binoculars has allowed me to do "routine maintenance" on my Skymasters and thus I've enjoyed them a whole lot more in my posession instead of in the mail. That article should be required reading for anyone who owns adjustable porros (thanks again for that article EdZ), as what it details is really no more difficult than checking and maintaining your tire pressure and oil level in a car on a regular basis.

#9 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:15 AM

You are welcome Jamie. Glad it was helpful.

The comment referenced above from the Finnish Birdwatcher who says all binoculars are shipped "out of collimation" sounds like nothing more than sour grapes to me. I've had over 30 pair of binoculars shipped to me. Only Few of them arrived out of collimation. Most arrive adjusted just fine. At least 10 of them I've now had for years and have still never touched any adjustment because they just don't need it.

As to the comment made (I think in another thread) about a BT100 losing collimation during shipping, I say BULL. If you saw the internal mechanism that controls the adjustment inside a BT100, you might form the same opinion as me, that there is no way you are going to knock that out of allignment just by shipping. You'd have to really abuse that binocular, and I mean serious abuse, to knock it off line.

edz

#10 Fred

Fred

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:57 AM

Can Binoculars get un-collimated (as in the lenses need to be moved, not just a wrong tilt in the prism) by knocking it out of place? I know that the prisms were in the correct place when mine came. The exit pupils were nice and circular, which is why I ended up sending them back because I didn't want to fool around with the lenses myself.

-Fred

#11 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

yes, but I doubt very much that anybody adjusted those binoculars by adjusting the objective lenses.

read the article referred to in MaritimeSky post up above.

edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics