•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

30mm 1rpd eyepiece quick review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:24 PM

I recently had the opportunity to obtain a used 1rpd 30mm eyepiece. I was hoping 'rpd' didn't stand for 'really poor design' :foreheadslap:

I've read numerous reviews of this eyepiece and the opinions are all over the map so I had no idea what to expect. But I got it dirt cheap so I figured, what the hey! As it turns out 'rpd' could stand for 'really pretty decent'!

The eyepiece was being used with a Celestron 11 (The Stray Cat) and at f/10, it actually performs quite well. There is some distortion at the outer edge of the field, but the view was no worse than the 32mm TeleVue Wide Field I used to have. The 1rpd has a wider apparent field however (80° vs. 65°). The overall impression viewing objects like The Double Cluster, The Veil, and M-31 was very pleasant.

Six of us - all with many years of experience - had a chance to check out the 1rpd and the general consensus was the eyepiece was "good". I had several offers to purchase it (at my dirt cheap price, of course) that were respectfully declined :lol:

Does the 1rpd 30mm perform as well as a 31mm Nagler? Probably not, especially at the edge using a short focal length telescope. However, even at retail price you could buy more than six of the 1rpd's for the price of one 31mm and I doubt that even the Nagler is six times better. :jawdrop:

If you ever have a chance to check out a 30mm 1rpd, you might be pleasantly surprised especially if you're using a long focus telescope.

Don :usa:

#2 Amalia

Amalia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:46 AM

rpd = Round Per Day? :question:

Amalia

#3 Lawrence Sayre

Lawrence Sayre

Abbe Normal

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:46 AM

The owner of Astrobuffet (I.E. the seller) told me 1rpd stands for: "One revolution per day".

You won't be anywhere near remotely close to as pleased with it at f/5, but a Paracorr does make the view look much better. It accomplishes this three ways. The Paracorr flattens the field, clears up the coma, and clips the AFOV down a bit (the 1rpd having a FS of 44mm, and the Visual Paracorr being designed to just permit the rays of the 42mm FS 31mm Nagler to not clip [or vignette]). The Paracorr can't help with the astigmatism of the 1rpd.

#4 Amalia

Amalia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:57 AM

:lol:

Thank you, Lawrence, now I can google! :)

Amalia

#5 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:01 AM

I've recently purchased the 1rpd for my 102ED F/9 and only got a chance to use it once in my light polluted skys. The view seemed pretty good 95% out,IIRC. I call the eyepiece my pretend 30mm Nagler, since I'll never spend that much money on an eyepiece. Yeah, $380 is the most I'll spend. :shocked:

#6 Penarin

Penarin

Vanguard

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:18 AM

Nice to see the 1rpd getting some love.

For owners of longer focal length scopes, this EP is a fantastic bargain. At f/9, it performs very, very well. No complaints.

We'll see how it does at f/8, once my AR6 OTA shows up :)

#7 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:31 AM

I really like my 1RPD in my Meade 10" f10 and my 6" f8 refractor, lots of value for the price and if it can be had cheaper...even better.

Kerry

#8 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:34 AM

cheap is good!

#9 Craig

Craig

Vendor (Stark Labs)

• Vendors

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

I love mine (BW-Optik branding) in my 8" f/10 but hate it in my f/6 and f/5 setups. On the SCT, I chuckle at how nice and wide the view is for how little money. On the f/6 and f/5 setups I start wondering if any doors in the house need stops.

One very nice benefit to me: the Televue "B" focal group 1.25" with a 2/1.25" adapter from a WO diagonal is pretty close to parfocal with the 1rpd and the adapter removed. It's the small things that count sometimes...

Craig

#10 Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand

Apollo

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:19 PM

When I have the 8" f/10 SCT out, the 1rpd is my favorite EP to use, especially for all the targets mentioned by Don. My father-in-law was mighty impressed with how much EP and FOV you can buy for $95 for these slower scopes.

I use it on occasion in the 100mm f/6 achromat and the edges of the FOV leave quite a bit to be desired but that isn't the scope I bought the EP for. And it's fun to look at a 20x 4° TFOV in the southern summer sky.

#11 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:25 PM

On the f/6 and f/5 setups I start wondering if any doors in the house need stops.

:lol:
Never thought about using an eyepiece for a door stop. You don't want to dent your door, do you?

Cheers!

Olivier

#12 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

Yup! I've got the BW Optik version of same- in the f10 SCT it's a definite keeper!... at $100 new it's a steal :ubetcha:
;) mike b

#13 gparkerson

gparkerson

Vendor (Astronomy Technology Today)

• Vendors

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:19 PM

I purchased the BW Optik version for use in a 102mmf10 Vixen achro and am more than pleased with the view through that scope. I use it occasionally in a 10"f5.6 Newt w/Paracorr as a "finder" eyepiece only, as edge performance is marginal at f6.4. I did try it in the f5.6 Newt combined with a 1.5X Proxima Barlow and the combination was surprisingly pleasing and still a bit lighter than a 20mmT2 Nagler. The 1.5X Barlow/Paracorr/BW Optik combo was too unwieldy for serious consideration.

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

Back when I still had an SCT and a 1rpd, I would go out only with that EP a good bit. Super perform for f/8 and above.

#15 Craig

Craig

Vendor (Stark Labs)

• Vendors

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:17 PM

It's odd -- at lower f-ratios, I not only get clear coma, but I also get what I might call asters -- fine lines going out towards the edge. It's not just the two you get with coma or the two coma lines and the blur between them. These are clear lines -- a half dozen or so radiating out from the star towards the edge. Don't know what to call those...

Craig

#16 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

I like mine for all the reasons everyone else has already given. It's not a Nagler 31, but it's also not $600.

I've found it to be very forgiving on eye position and comfortable to use.

I bought an Astro-Physics 2" visual back (scroll down) to use with it, but careful observation didn't reveal any vignetting with the standard visual back/2" adapter.

If you want to see something ugly, try using it with the 6.3 focal reducer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics