•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lets talk about the Meade SN-6 schmidt newt..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
237 replies to this topic

#51 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

I hear the SN collimation remark a lot and I just don't get it. I've had my SN6 for about 6 years and I've found that it's no different than any other Newtonian. If anything, my SCTs are a bit more finicky, but none of them are all that hard to keep aligned. In the SN6 a standard laser collimator works fine.

I've also found that the SCT overall makes a better general purpose scope, but for deepsky imaging I much prefer my SN. For visual-only I prefer either my biggo achro or my MCT, but for a little bit of everything I like my SCT; it's a lot of scope in a small package. It's nice to have options.
:)

#52 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

EDIT... Maybe I was missing something on the collimation of the SN. Check out this LINK. I am not convinced it will require that much work

Wow, I hope mine comes in somewhat close to collimation. I don't want to tear the scope down right off the bat! But it's nice to know there's some help out there, if needed.

Patrick

#53 IDONTSEEIT

IDONTSEEIT

Apollo

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:52 AM

:cool:Thanks Everyone,

If I get one of the SNs, I'll be putting it on an Alt-Az mount, so EP position shouldn't be an issue. I'd guess the SN is significantly heavier than the SCT? I'm hoping to mount it on my AT-Voyager, and the wider FoV of the SN is appealing to me.

Ideally I'd like a 6" f/5 Apo which weighs less than 15-lbs, 10-12-lbs would be OK. :p

All the 6" f/5(ish) Apo refractors available right now seems to be exclusively geared toward astrophotography, and are consequently very heavy and bulky, obviously for reasons of stability/rigidity. I know the TV NP127 is quite light, but to me, 5" isn't enough of a jump from my 4" refractors.

I figured the 6" SN would be Apo-like enough for me, but may also be too heavy. :foreheadslap:

Thanks for the advice, :bow:

#54 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

I used to use a laser collimator (and while with the stock focuser it was difficult) with the moonlight it as easy as collimating a Newtonian. I would have it collimated in less than 5 minutes with another 2 minutes for tweaks with a star.

#55 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

One trick to using a laser collimator with a less-than-perfect focuser is to run the draw tube all the way in, this squares it up to the tube. I collimated mine serveral years ago and I check it every once'n a while, but I haven't had to touch it.

And yes, the SN6 will be heavier than an SC6; the tube is longer and you have the mounting rings that you usually don't have with an SC.

#56 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

I just got a Hotech laser collimator, but haven't tried it out yet. This new scope should be a good test for it.

Patrick

#57 94bamf

94bamf

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

Has anybody got a ship notice yet? I am getting irritated with Meade. I ordered the thing on Thursday, it shouldn't take this long to get it shipped..

Ken

#58 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

I ordered mine at about the same time and I just now got my shipping notice. It should be here Friday! Yay! I've been tuning my 'spare' LXD75 to have it ready for it. Gonna be fun.

#59 94bamf

94bamf

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

I ordered mine at about the same time and I just now got my shipping notice. It should be here Friday! Yay! I've been tuning my 'spare' LXD75 to have it ready for it. Gonna be fun.

Yep, my timing is always good with this stuff. I sent them an email asking where the heck my scope is, within half an hour get a ship notice and tracking info saying it shipped yesterday. My better half is out of town this week, so it NEEDS to get here this week! :praying: :lol:

Ken

#60 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:13 PM

My better half is out of town this week, so it NEEDS to get here this week!

:funny:

Good luck with that! I'm kinda in the same boat, except the wife is not out of town. At this point though, she just shakes her head when there's a box at the door. :smirk:

I haven't got a shipping notice yet either. Submitted my order on Sunday...thought I should have the shipping notice by now...

Patrick

#61 James Paulson

James Paulson

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Its gonna be nice having all these other SN6 owners around. I think you will be very pleased with this little scope. You will need a dew cap for it at some point but you can make one yourself. I'd love to see one of these on an Atlas.

James

#62 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Heh, heh, I have my stuff delivered to work.

#63 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

I just got shipping confirmation on the scope! Should be here by Friday... :smirk:

Patrick

#64 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

Well, that explains all of the rain in the forecast...

#65 James Paulson

James Paulson

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

Well, that explains all of the rain in the forecast...

Not had a clear night all month. Was wondering if there is a coincidence. I'm generally not superstitious.

#66 MtnGoat

MtnGoat

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

New scope curse! When I got my Z12 for Christmas it was cloudy every night until mid February, I kid you not. The worst days were gorgeous all day until right before dark, then the clouds would blow over the crest and sock me in again. I was going crazy!

#67 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

I've had it go both ways. This will give me a chance to make sure it's collimated and mounted properly, but we have company all weekend anyway.

Patrick

#68 avarakin

avarakin

Vanguard

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

I also decided to get one. I found a gentlemen selling it locally. I got older version on LXD55 mount, both for $250. I had 1st light few nights back and so far I like it a lot - double double was easily split, stars are very sharp. I tired some imaging but without coma corrector there was too much coma to my taste. With MPCC it is much better.
LXD55 mount turned out to be very nice as well - it has lighter tripod which is not bad for visual, it has very nice clutch action and smooth motion so it can be used for manual targeting.

I am afraid this will become my favorite setup.

Next week I am heading to NC to spend some time on beach. The place is in green zone, so it will be really interesting to see how it performs under darker skies.

Alex

#69 lcaldero

lcaldero

Mariner 2

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

I also bought the SN-6. I am wondering what the heck I did--I sowre I would never buy a new telescope knowing that I would have to make mods -- like replacing the focuser. I am not very handy. A couple of questions:
1) Anyone know which focuser is the easiest to install?
2) recommended accessories are:
Laser or chesire collimation tool
Bob's knobs
Dew shield
3) Buy for a refractor (not an SCT?); the collimation tools seem to come in those flavors...

I am not going to run out & buy all of those at once... which is the most important?

many thanks,
Laura

Stellavue Nighthawk 80mm refractor
AT Voyager
A bunch of ES eps

#70 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

My SN6 is now 6 years old and it's pretty much all stock. The coma is much, much less than a simple Newtonian. I have heard that the MPCC works well with the SN6 and improves the field even further. (I have the SN6's Newtonian twin, the N6, and there's a big difference between the N6 and SN6). The stock focuser works fine; turn the knob, tube moves in and out, image comes to focus. I had to tighten the scerws holding the rack to the draw tube and snug the locking bolt a bit to firm it up. The only mod I've made to this scope is that I added an electric focus drive that was originally designed for the DS-2130. I happen to have enough spare parts to make another one, so I'm going to do the same mod to my new SN6. My present SN6 was also from the LXD55 vintage when Meade was selling the LXD55 OTA's from the outlet store (for $249). I'm looking forward to finally getting an LXD75 SN6 on my LXD75. :)

As for replacement focusers; I've seen SN's with Feathertouch and MoonLite focusers. I think MoonLite is the only one I've seen that had an isntallation kit specifically for the SN6. The Feathertouch looks like it's a lot lower profile. The SN6 is designed with a lot of back-focus and has a built-in removable extension tube to accommodate a variety of cameras (leave it on for CCDs, take it off for a DSLR). Before replacing the focuser make sure you get one that will work with your camera.

#71 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Laura,

I've only had the moonlight and it was easy to install. You do have to remove corrector but it can only go back one way unless you rotate the secondary mirror.

As for accessories if you aren't imaging and not using heavy 2" eps the stock focuser works. IMO the most important accessory is a laser collimator and a dew shield everything else can wait. If imaging the focuser is most important IMO.

#72 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

Alex, the sn6 has very little coma are you sure it's not our of collimation?

#73 avarakin

avarakin

Vanguard

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Helder, it is very much possible that it is not collimated properly. This reminds me I need to take collimation tools with me when I go on vacation this Friday!
Were you imaging with MPCC?

Another question to folks: anyone tried putting teflon strips into focuser between the tube and base? It helped a lot with other focusers of similar quality.

Alex

#74 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

The stock focuser works fine; turn the knob, tube moves in and out, image comes to focus. I had to tighten the scerws holding the rack to the draw tube and snug the locking bolt a bit to firm it up. The only mod I've made to this scope is that I added an electric focus drive that was originally designed for the DS-2130.

Perhaps it 'works fine' because you're using it with an electric focuser? :question: If the focuser is anything like the stock focusers on the classis Chinese Dobs, I may be looking to upgrade to the moonlite. I already have a Moonlite CR, so I'd just have to get the conversion kit.

Patrick

#75 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

I wondered about that. I don't like to use the focus drive visually as it drives me crazy. However, since I contol my imaging gear remotely I love it for that application. I have a MoonLite on my AR-6 and it's fantastic! I'm just not sure that I could spring that kinda cash moding a $199 scope. If'n I recall right adding the focus drive was something like $60. There is a mod I read about on a similar focuser I may look into. Basically you drilled and tapped four small holes and added four nylon screws to act as glides across from the rack; two on each side spaced +/-30 deg off-center. It looked easy enough and the design makes sense. The primary issue is that the drawtube rocks when you change directions. I always set my focus with the tube drawing inwards and that helps a lot.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics