•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion 150mm Mak-Cass

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 CigTech

CigTech

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:34 AM

Has any one used the Orion 150mm Mak-Cass yet? I am looking at it in the new Cat. And am thinking about getting one. I know their 127mm is a good scope but I want a Bigger Mak-Cass.

#2 Magellanico

Magellanico

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:02 AM

So do I. Is this new Cat the same scope that ST reviewed in April 1999 issue ?

#3 Levente

Levente

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

I'm pretty sure that S&T didn't review this scope in 1999 as this is a brand new product from Synta.

#4 Magellanico

Magellanico

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:33 AM

Yes. It was 6 years ago and Orion stopped to sale this scope for a while. And after Synta bought Celestron, I thought Orion will return to the russian optics? JMHO.

#5 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:31 AM

I'm pretty sure that S&T didn't review this scope in 1999 as this is a brand new product from Synta.

S&T tested two Russian 6" Maks made by Intes. One was the 6" Mak-Cass, the other was the 6" f/6 Mak Newtonian.
No Synta.

Clive.

#6 Greg W

Greg W

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:10 PM

I received mine today. I owned a 127 a few years ago and liked it enough to try the 150. It looks as though I will be waiting until the coming weekend to get a chance to try it out, the weather is horrible here in Maine. I will let you know how it performs once I get it out for a trial.

Greg

#7 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:00 PM

what are your first impressions of it...
Like your 127 just bigger..

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:30 PM

Well, no review, but some looks through one. Try this thread.

It's the same scope as the Orion.

-Gavin

#9 Greg W

Greg W

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:38 PM

Well it turned out to be clear tonight so I got the scope out for a test. Jupiter was too low in the sky to view well so I had to go with the double-double in Lyra as my primary test subject. I was able to use Jupiter to check image shift though. At 450x the shift was about 1/2 diameter of the planet. I'm sure someone else can figure out the math behind that and what it really means but for me it was just my observation. The double-double split very nicely at 200x but I could tell that it would be a lot cleaner if I adjusted the collimation. I started that process with some success but by 11pm the mosquitoes were so fierce that I had to pack it in for the night. At this point I find the scope to be very similar to the Orion 127 Mak I had before with the benefit of more aperture. I plan on doing a side by side comparison with my Meade 127ED/APO once the collimation is to my liking and will make a report of my findings.

Greg

#10 stevie

stevie

Spiderman

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:42 AM

well congrats on the new scope :jump:

#11 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:53 AM

Well it turned out to be clear tonight so I got the scope out for a test. Jupiter was too low in the sky to view well so I had to go with the double-double in Lyra as my primary test subject. I was able to use Jupiter to check image shift though. At 450x the shift was about 1/2 diameter of the planet. I'm sure someone else can figure out the math behind that and what it really means but for me it was just my observation. The double-double split very nicely at 200x but I could tell that it would be a lot cleaner if I adjusted the collimation. I started that process with some success but by 11pm the mosquitoes were so fierce that I had to pack it in for the night. At this point I find the scope to be very similar to the Orion 127 Mak I had before with the benefit of more aperture. I plan on doing a side by side comparison with my Meade 127ED/APO once the collimation is to my liking and will make a report of my findings.

Greg

The image shift you see is very respectable! Only 15 to 20 arc seconds, which is a small amount.
A friend of mine bought a Sky-Watcher 150 Mak in May. His was also a bit out of collimation. He tweaked it and it delivered excellent images afterward. It's a good scope. The interior of the primary baffle tube seemed a little shiny (at least, in my friend's sample). Apart from that and the initial collimation, no problems.

Have fun with the 150!

Clive.

#12 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:30 PM

Greg

here you go greg :roflmao:for the 11 o'clock blues

#13 Greg W

Greg W

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:05 PM

here you go greg :roflmao:for the 11 o'clock blues [/quote]

Cool, thanks for that. I think someone switched my bug spray with mosquito pheromones. It just couldn't cut it.

Greg

#14 CigTech

CigTech

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I think i'll just get the Meade AR5 instead. I have the LXD 55 mount and it will hold the AR 5 better then the 150 Mak.

#15 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:54 PM

I seem to be spending far too much time looking up the used equipment sections at retailers. Kendrick's has a Skywatcher 150 Mak-Cass (same as Orion - all Synta) in its used scope section. The price has just been reduced to $650 Canadian or I *think* $520 American. This includes a few accessories. I believe this is atleast $200 Canadian less than a new Skywatcher.

Just thought I'd post for anyone who's interested. As usual, I expect any buyer to pay my 15% finder's fee! :)

Ken.

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:07 AM

I can split the Double Double in Lyra at 100X with my SN8 scope. Guess I won't be needing a Mak-Cass from Orion.

#17 Greg W

Greg W

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:22 PM

I can split the Double Double in Lyra at 100X with my SN8 scope. Guess I won't be needing a Mak-Cass from Orion.

That's nice, I'm very happy for you. After collimating the scope tonight 100x splits nicely now. I was pleased to find that the double double looks great at 450x in this scope too. I did not expect it to hold up at that magnification.

Greg

#18 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:02 PM

Latest S&T Orion ad has the 150mm mak bundled with SVP for $999

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics