•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just bought 10" LX50 ~ Good Deal??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Roger~E

Roger~E

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:31 PM

After reviewing my limited budget and deciding on the least amount of aperture that I would be happy with, I grabbed a 10" LX50 off of Ebay last night. I of course would love to have a LX200 GPS, but I`m afraid that is out of my price range for the forseeable future. I am including a picture & a link to the Ebay ad. To me it seemed like a pretty good deal, considering all the extras I`m getting with it. What do you guys think? Worth the price? I`m just getting a general concensus here...lol

This is the total package for $1,000 + $160 shipping:

Meade 10 " Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
Meade Heavy Duty Field Tripod
Meade SuperWedge Equatorial Mount
Meade Magellan II Guiding System
Meade 1205 Electric Focuser
Meade 647 Flip-Mirror System
EZ Balance Counterweight System
EZ-Align Polar Alignment Scope
Lumicon Off-Axis Easy Guider
JMI Crayford Focuser - eliminates mirror shift
8 Assorted Plossel Eyepieces
1 Cross-Hair Eyepiece
1 2x Barlow Lens
Meade f/6.3 Focal Reducer / Field Flattener
Solar Filter
Guide Scope Mounting Bracket
Manuals & Instructions Posted Image

Ad link: http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

#2 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:07 AM

...What do you guys think? Worth the price...

Hi Roger,

Assuming everything is in working order, that's a good deal. No, it's not the 'latest and greatest' technology, but any 10" scope is capable of showing more objects than many observers will ever get around to seeing.

If I recall correctly, the LX-50 series used the same heavy-duty fork mounting as the original LX-200's. That, along with the Super Wedge should provide a very stable platform.

Good luck with your new 'toy'! :jump:

Don :usa:

#3 Roger~E

Roger~E

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:32 AM

Thanks, Don. According to the seller, everything is in working order, and in fine shape. He had no intention originally to ship this stuff, but I asked him if MAYBE he could, because I really wanted it. It was "local pickup only". Since he lives in Hawaii, he started thinking his chances of finding a local buyer might be kind of slim. I just had to grab it. One thing that scares me about the GPS units, how much is it going to cost when motherboards and, God Forbid, the GPS unit itself has to be repaired or replaced? I`m thinking quite a bit. This scope should do well for me; hopefully the tracking will work reasonably well. I do want to do some film work; maybe CCD eventually.

#4 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:26 AM

Roger,

With all those accessories and a telescope too, I think you got a Fantastic deal!

New, just these few accessories add up to over $1000 new:

Meade 1205 Electric Focuser...$150

Meade 647 Flip-Mirror System...$250

Lumicon Off-Axis Easy Guider...$400

JMI Crayford Focuser...$170

Meade f/6.3 Focal Reducer / Field Flattener...$130

Regards,

Patrick

#5 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:25 AM

don't forget the Magellan that will help out a lot.
and the superwedge is a good one as well, much beefier then the standard. 160$ shipping isn't all that bad from Hawaii, especially with all the goodies you will be getting.

those are the deals I like to grab..course that is how i keep getting scopes. Now I just have to force myself to sell them.

#6 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:30 AM

yep.. awesome deal....

That is the best part about buying these used, usually you get tons of accessories. Even an 8" so equipped would have been a screaming deal and you got a 10"!!!!

Congrats!!!

#7 Roger~E

Roger~E

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:43 PM

Thanks all for your input & opinions. I had originally had in mind grinding my own 10" mirror and making a Dob. I ground the mirror, and polished it. It probably needs a little final figuring. All along though, I kept thinking "Do I want a Dob"? I have my old Nikon film camera which I had used with my LX10 8" for Astrophotos. I guess I want to do that still. So of course no tracking with a Dob becomes the issue. I would`nt know how to build a platform, and they run about $350 or more anyway. Also alot of time and $$ getting it built...for a 10"? I`m selling the mirror. :foreheadslap:

#8 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:58 PM

"I`m selling the mirror"

Hey Roger-
Oops- that means ya gotta change yer sig line ;)

Congrats on a great deal! :grin: I've been using a 10" LX-50 for nine years, & have a blast with it! :ubetcha: Mine has the Magellan, but only the std. wedge and is only used for visual. But it's rock solid & stable, is easy to use & usually very ergonomic (some weight issues for transport & setup), & works well for crowds of folks to view & play with focus to taste- not gonna get easily knocked off-target.

Best wishes to you on yer new acquisition!... be seein' ya in the CAT forums, eh?
:cool: mike b

#9 Roger~E

Roger~E

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:47 PM

Thanks, Mike. Yea, I`ll have to dump the "Newt In Progress" signature. Since I sold my LX10 last year, all I`ve thought about is getting another scope! This is getting bad... :yay:

#10 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:55 PM

I'd say you got a deal! :bow:

#11 Roger~E

Roger~E

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

:rainbow: I can`t wait till I get it!! :bounce:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics