•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any thoughts on the Oberwerk Mariner 10x60?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:36 AM

I am now considering the "Oberwerk Mariner 10x60". From what I have read here at CN they are rated well, however, they are on the heavy/large side. There doesn't seem to be much more on this specific model (unless I missed it).

I plan to use them for astronomy with them mounted most of the time. I have a pair of 12x50's and smaller 7x30's that work well enough for daytime.

My main concerns/considerations are in order:
a) Price < $300
b) FOV
c) Sharpness of stars to the edge.
d) Size < 70mm (I have a nice 80mm refractor and 8" SCT)
e) waterproof

I would like to hear from other owners. So please share any additional thoughts?

I was also looking at the Nikon AE Series and Pentax PCF WP II Series. However, I could easily drive 1 hour to BigBinoculars/Oberwerk, check them out and get them in person if needed.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:43 AM

Yeh. I like them.

edz

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

Of the bins you have and the 10x60 you are considering, I would say that your 12x50 bins, assuming they are of good quality, are the best ones for astronomy.

#4 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:51 AM

Edz,

I think yours was the only post that I had found previously. The oberwerk website has them listed as "new". Is the lack of post in regard to this model because they are just that new? If they are good then I would expect more "positive press".

May I ask your personal take or additional thoughts on the comparison of the Oberwerk Mariner vs. Nikon and Pentax series I mentioned?

Thanks,
Mark

#5 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

the 12x50s are $10 Meade that I got around the Christmas Holiday. :) So, quality vs. price they were a good buy. In practical use at night I find myself wanting a better star-field image.

Perhaps a different 12x50 model?

Thanks,
Mark

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:56 AM

OK, I'll give you a little more than that.

The Oberwerk Mariner 10x60....

Is one of the sharpest to the edge binoculars I've ever used. At 80% out it measures an apparent resolution of 360 arcseconds. That means I can still see a 36" double clearly at 80% out. A Nikon SE 12x50 = 264, one of the best ever, and a Fujinon 16x70 = 350.

has some of the best coatings I've seen.

shows excellent light transmission. Measured by how deep a magnitude it can see. Go to the Best of Links and follow the path to the Deep magnitude Charts tests on M44, M45 and Cr399. look for recorded magnitude limit or number of stars seen on M44.

The deep star magnitude tests show the 10x60 Mariner is performing closer to the higher 10x70 Fujinon than it is to the Pentax PCF WP 10x50. The Pentax beats out the Nikon AE10x50 in this test.

It's pretty darned heavy for it's size.

I think the 6mm exit pupil provides a good compromise, larger than the standard 5mm but not so large as 7mm that might leave some users with wasted aperture. It works for me. This is definitely a situation where you need to consider your own eye pupil size and your normal sky conditions. Small pupils or bright skies may mean this is not the right choice for you.

edz

#7 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:21 PM

Edz, That helps greatly! Thank you!

-Mark

#8 Apracticalguy

Apracticalguy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:41 PM

Get'em....you won't be sorry!

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

From that perspective I guess the 12x50 bins were do-able, but in general I feel that 10x50 and 12x50 are excellent overall bins for astronomy. Just my opinions. I'm sure the 10x60 obies are fine over all.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics